C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximizer side pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 04:49 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Maximizer side pipe install

Last night and this morning, I installed my new maximizer side pipes with the Hooker Maxflow mufflers..

I video taped each step of the install but still need to edit and upload the videos..

1st step (car on the ground)
Removed alternator
Removed spark plugs
Removed z-bar
Loosened all the header bolts
(note that I did NOT remove the temperature sensor)

2nd step (jacked up car to 20 inches and placed 6 ton jack stands under it
I initially had it up to 18 inches but it was not enough to install the side pipes.. 20 inches is the minimum needed height.
After jacking up the car, I cut off the existing exhaust where it enters the transmission cross member with a reciprocating saw. Then I removed the bolts holding the exhaust and removed the existing exhaust.. Unbolted the headers and removed them.
Now I installed the side mount headers. In approximate 45 degree angle, I was able to get it up in place.. I secured the bottom of the pipes with a jack stand so that I could get the header bolts on top started. When I tightened them, I realized that the pipes were hitting the pitman arm and the steering box. So, back down they went.. Used a hammer to clearance the header.. Back up it went. Got it started with 2 header bolts.
Next was the passenger side. I did NOT remove the starter and I was able to get the passenger side header back up without any issues.
However, when I was about to get all the header bolts started, I realized that 1 of the holes on the header did not line up perfectly. I had 2 options.. Option 1 was to remove the header again and grind down or drill out the hole to be big enough or to modify the header bolt. I ended up using the easier option. Used a grinder to grind down the thread on the bolt but leaving enough thread to securely mount it.. It worked out good and I was able to get that bolt started.. Now, I re-installed all the accessories that I removed and then I installed the pipes.. First, I dropped in the mufflers and then I installed the side pipes using the HOOKER install kit. I did have to slightly trim the rocker panel for clearance. Made sure that everything was tight and hooked up correctly and went for a test drive.. Love the new sound..

Last edited by GrandSportC3; 08-30-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:51 PM
ugly85chevy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work and beautiful car. I hope to see the videos. I just picked up a 79 with side pipes but they have some leaks so I'll be needing to replace them. I haven't decided if I'll stick with side pipes or go conventional though.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:41 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ugly85chevy
Nice work and beautiful car. I hope to see the videos. I just picked up a 79 with side pipes but they have some leaks so I'll be needing to replace them. I haven't decided if I'll stick with side pipes or go conventional though.
Side pipes look and sound so much better.. It also makes it so much easier to work on the car if exhaust pipes are not in the way..
Old 08-30-2015, 11:06 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

I recently replaced and old pieced together exhaust system on my '79 with Doug's sidepipes and agree, much easier working under the car. The only catch is getting my floor jack under the pipes, I just have to make sure the jack is all the way down.

Nice sound from the video! Sounds different than mine.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:12 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Here is another video..

Last edited by GrandSportC3; 08-30-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:51 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ugly85chevy
Here is the install video.. Didn't show the actual work as I can't work and film at the same time but did document all the steps..

Last edited by GrandSportC3; 08-30-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:52 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Good job on the installation video!

Old 08-30-2015, 06:01 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Good job on the installation video!

I wish that I could have taped the actual work but without a 2nd person filming, that would be difficult. My wife has to watch the kids, so she can't spend too much time on doing that..

Get notified of new replies

To Maximizer side pipe install

Quick Reply: Maximizer side pipe install