C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake calipers needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:30 PM
Carpet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake calipers needed

Hello All,
I just purchased a 79 and need to replace all the calipers and brake hoses, I see summit has a complete replace set for 600 bucks. But I need some advice on replacement parts, I don't need the best brake system just something that is not junk. I also need to find a place that has a decent carpet replacement for this car. any suggestions would be helpful since I am new to finding corvette parts. Thanks Jeff
Old 08-30-2015, 01:01 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I bought my calipers at Autozone. Lifetime warranty.

For carpet I like that Willcox worked with a vendor to make it fit better so I'd order from him. https://willcoxcorvette.com/

He is a sponsor here and spends time answering questions.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:08 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Welcome, you will find a wealth of knowledge here and the members wanting to help you. You will soon see that joining this forum is/will be the best move ever for you and your car!
Old 08-30-2015, 01:32 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

PM sent
Old 08-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ddawson
Exactly my thoughts. Can't beat the warranty.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default SS calipers

Before you replace anything, I would remove a caliper and open it up to see if they have been sleeved in stainless steel. If so, you can rebuild them with a kit that contains new pistons, O-rings and seals for about $150. If they have not been sleeved, you can send them out to Vette Brakes and Products or Bairs for sleeving and rebuilding. Stick with Delco castings. Jerry
Old 08-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Ray384
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Carpet
Hello All,
I just purchased a 79 and need to replace all the calipers and brake hoses, I see summit has a complete replace set for 600 bucks. But I need some advice on replacement parts, I don't need the best brake system just something that is not junk. I also need to find a place that has a decent carpet replacement for this car. any suggestions would be helpful since I am new to finding corvette parts. Thanks Jeff
I got mine from Advance auto. No problems and work great, rebuilt, but the do rust if you don't paint them like I didn't.
Plus they didn't cost a fortune.....
Old 08-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Before you replace anything, I would remove a caliper and open it up to see if they have been sleeved in stainless steel. If so, you can rebuild them with a kit that contains new pistons, O-rings and seals for about $150. If they have not been sleeved, you can send them out to Vette Brakes and Products or Bairs for sleeving and rebuilding. Stick with Delco castings. Jerry
I agree with this word for word.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Stick with Delco castings. Jerry
Who else made castings? (Just curious)
Old 08-30-2015, 07:07 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird

China, those have no markings
Old 08-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
China, those have no markings
Well just crap.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:40 PM
71 f/w driver
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carpet
Hello All,
I bought mine from oriellys and they were delco with matching number of mine. they also have warranty. don't know if they are sleeved/o-rings. have had for 2 months with no issues. great thing about oriellys is if you don't like you can reject and they'll order again. FYI.
Mike
Old 08-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Ray384
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Mine are stamped Moraine. ...
Old 08-30-2015, 11:04 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

For carpet I like that Willcox worked with a vendor to make it fit better so I'd order from him. https://willcoxcorvette.com/

He is a sponsor here and spends time answering questions.
Is the warranty similar to how some of the corvette vendors market their calipers "life time warranty limited" , what this actually means they only warranty the casting and the SS sleeve from leaking between the casting. They dont warranty the piston or the seal. The important part that makes the caliper work as a brake.

I have had 3 of the last 5 calipers ( o-ring new delco moraine ) leak with in a 4 year period.

So when you purchase from Autozone ask what life time realy covers.

If they cover the piston and seal from leaking then it sounds much better than the corvette vendors misleading advertising.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:43 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

We used a VBP caliper kit on Dad's 78 about 4 years ago. 4 stainless sleeved calipers, pads, hoses, steel lines that go along the rear trailing arms and fluid for $400. Add a little more you get a master as well. Might as well replace all the parts at once and get reliable brakes.

I'm not a big fan of o-ring calipers but that's a personal feeling that changing the piston and seal design just isn't the best idea. The C3 calipers are designed with springs behind the pistons to keep the slack out of the brakes and the o-ring calipers get rid of that spring and can allow the pistons to knock back more.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:07 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
We used a VBP caliper kit on Dad's 78 about 4 years ago. 4 stainless sleeved calipers, pads, hoses, steel lines that go along the rear trailing arms and fluid for $400. Add a little more you get a master as well. Might as well replace all the parts at once and get reliable brakes.

I'm not a big fan of o-ring calipers but that's a personal feeling that changing the piston and seal design just isn't the best idea. The C3 calipers are designed with springs behind the pistons to keep the slack out of the brakes and the o-ring calipers get rid of that spring and can allow the pistons to knock back more.
I have never been a fan of the oring design either mostly since my SS VBP calipers installed in 1985 have never leaked on my 78 (on a car that sits 99.9% of the time...calipers installed at 40,000 miles and car has 67,000 miles today) and I too, am not a fan of any design changes for a C3 unless the change is superior to that design....My sense is that O ring calipers are probably better for cars that sit for long periods of time and probably have some brake issues (rotor runout) and owners do not periodically change the brake fluid every few years. As I have said before, changing the brake fluid every 4-5 years for these cars should be mandatory like changing trans fluid, diff fluid, 4 speed gear oil etc. Anything with fluid MUST be changed periodically for system longevity and correct functionality.

This concept reminds about cars today with lifetime transmission fluid...no such thing...the tranny is guaranteed to fail early if the fluid is not changed....once the car is out of warranty. My lawn tractor had a sealed Tecumseh transaxle that was failing early on many tractors. I kept it alive by making sure the fan was clean after every cutting and eventually Tecumseh offered a service kit for the transaxle fluid but after too long a period...I changed the fluid with thier kit but it lasted only 3 years longer from that change date...too long too late on the OEM fluid. The replacement transaxle just had the fluid changed by me at 4 years...Amsoil synthetic hydrostatic fluid after 4 years on the OEM fluid...and will be changed every 4 years moving foward.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 08-31-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:29 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Is the warranty similar to how some of the corvette vendors market their calipers "life time warranty limited" , what this actually means they only warranty the casting and the SS sleeve from leaking between the casting. They dont warranty the piston or the seal. The important part that makes the caliper work as a brake.

I have had 3 of the last 5 calipers ( o-ring new delco moraine ) leak with in a 4 year period.

If they cover the piston and seal from leaking then it sounds much better than the corvette vendors misleading advertising.
Autozone lifetime warranty is walk up to counter with it and they will replace or refund.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake calipers needed

Old 08-31-2015, 11:55 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann

If it leaks its bad. I had one leak after a month.

Called ahead so they could order one. Walked in with caliper, walked out with a new one. No questions asked.

It's been a year now and no leaks. I do paint mine though to keep them nice looking.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

If it leaks its bad. I had one leak after a month.

Called ahead so they could order one. Walked in with caliper, walked out with a new one. No questions asked.

It's been a year now and no leaks. I do paint mine though to keep them nice looking.
Anyone with the same story after 5 years ?

If this is a case no point using any of the corvette vendors for stock calipers. Life time without question you cannot get better than that.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:27 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I keeper replacing my calipers constantly for years with autozone ones. They stuck by the warranty but the parts were no good. Around 2006 installed 4 SS sleeved O ring calipers from VBP and have not had any issues.

Quick Reply: Brake calipers needed