C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Tranny a Leak 1971 4 Speed, Any Suggested Additives

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:10 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I'll probably give it a try

Originally Posted by capevettes
AT-205 Re-Seal works and won't hurt the transmission. I have never been an advocate of magic in a bottle solutions. In almost every case you really need to fix what's causing the leak. I had tried everything with my leaking Turbo 400 in my 68 BB. If my car sat for a few days I would have a puddle under it. I added a bottle of this after it had been recommended to me by someone I trust. It worked. It hasn't leaked a drop in over a year and the tranny shifts perfectly. Worth a try. It may work. It conditions the seals to expand and seal better. It did for me. Auto Zone carries it and it is available through Amazon.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jbakyy
I took to gm 4 years ago, I doubt they will take it apart again for free. Yes it does leak when just sitting. Thanks
Yes, expecting GM to repair the leak gratis after 4 years just might be a bit on the optimistic side to say the least. But I still wouldn't put a stop leak in it. Even if it did work, it's just delaying the inevitable. For all we know, that's what GM did. And, BTW, I don't think the stuff has any effect on gaskets which could be the problem. All that stuff does is swell up the seals. I would suggest finding a reputable tranny shop that has a tech who knows Muncies. As suggested previously, take pics of the leak source with you to save on labor costs. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:58 PM
allena
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't use additives

Hi
I had a similar problem & I added some additive to my transmission and it ruined it.
I had to have it rebuilt, most the rubber parts were distroyed in it.

Take care of the car and have it fixed...

A
Old 09-07-2015, 02:34 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

If it's a Muncie, the most common leak is at the countershaft at the front of the case due to case wear. The quick fix is to remove the trans and apply silicone in a ring around the countershaft hole, and bolt it back up to the bellhousing. This will stop the dripping of gear oil since there is no real pressure involved. The RIGHT fix is to have the transmission case re-bushed to bring the working clearance back into specs. 9 out of 10 Muncie transmissions will drip a bit of oil at this location if running the original case..
Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Thanks

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Yes, expecting GM to repair the leak gratis after 4 years just might be a bit on the optimistic side to say the least. But I still wouldn't put a stop leak in it. Even if it did work, it's just delaying the inevitable. For all we know, that's what GM did. And, BTW, I don't think the stuff has any effect on gaskets which could be the problem. All that stuff does is swell up the seals. I would suggest finding a reputable tranny shop that has a tech who knows Muncies. As suggested previously, take pics of the leak source with you to save on labor costs. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Thanks

Originally Posted by allena
Hi
I had a similar problem & I added some additive to my transmission and it ruined it.
I had to have it rebuilt, most the rubber parts were distroyed in it.

Take care of the car and have it fixed...

A

Quick Reply: Small Tranny a Leak 1971 4 Speed, Any Suggested Additives