C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help timing 81 with all smog removed

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:37 PM
Greasyfingers Nick
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default help timing 81 with all smog removed

my 81 4 spd has all the smog devices removed, no catalytic, and has an Edelbrock 1406 carb..not ECC module controlled..elec choke, and a Perform intake and cam. It does still have the ECC with a Hypetech chip, which now controls only the distrib..which has Accel mods. Question is two ways..how do I set distrib timing and to what specs..with ECC still hooked up...OR..is it maybe better to discon the ECC and go to vacuum advance or MSD and or another distributor entirely..kinda like making the 81 more like a 79 or 80. Actually the engine starts immediately, idles fine, runs strong,.I may not need to do anything?? it tests now tho at 26 deg BTDC at idle and 36 deg max,
Does my question make sense..i am no expert on this..so need to get an idea of what direction to have speed shop go.,Thanks, Nick
Old 08-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Greasyfingers Nick
my 81 4 spd has all the smog devices removed, no catalytic, and has an Edelbrock 1406 carb..not ECC module controlled..elec choke, and a Perform intake and cam. It does still have the ECC with a Hypetech chip, which now controls only the distrib..which has Accel mods. Question is two ways..how do I set distrib timing and to what specs..with ECC still hooked up...OR..is it maybe better to discon the ECC and go to vacuum advance or MSD and or another distributor entirely..kinda like making the 81 more like a 79 or 80. Actually the engine starts immediately, idles fine, runs strong,.I may not need to do anything?? it tests now tho at 26 deg BTDC at idle and 36 deg max,
Does my question make sense..i am no expert on this..so need to get an idea of what direction to have speed shop go.,Thanks, Nick
Buy this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8362/

Install the two gold springs from this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-928g/overview/

Set it up at 36* mech. adv. at 3000RPM, and enjoy.

Been there, done that, works great.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:25 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Go to rockauto.com and look for a 1975-1980 rebulit ac delco distributor. Priced from $45 to $95($40 core deposit on the $95 unit). The msd streetfires are made in china if you care. I bought one of ac delco reman units and it camecwith an ac delco module !
Old 08-31-2015, 06:04 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Buy this:

Set the advance (Initial + Mechancal) at 36*@3000

That will cure all your ills. Having the EEC control the spark when it's not seeing the rest of the system, even with the Hypertech chip, just makes it confused.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Greasyfingers Nick
Heel & Toe

Default distrib and adv for 81 no smog

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Buy this:

Thank you..! This is what I have been looking for..I have a few questions: so with this MSD distrib and the Mr Gasket advance springs..the engine command computer becomes disconnected, not in use at all, correct? I need to set up vacuum to the distrib, right? Anything special for the tach?
.the comments on the spring kit show confusion over which colors are lightest to stronger springs? Anyway, you said "gold". Spark plug gap stay the same at .045?
Thanks again
Nick
Old 09-01-2015, 11:04 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

you started off saying you have no problems, so why are you now considering changing things? The timing figure you have currently 26 at idle, is that with the ECC disconnected? The total of 36 is perfect.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Greasyfingers Nick
Thank you..! This is what I have been looking for..I have a few questions: so with this MSD distrib and the Mr Gasket advance springs..the engine command computer becomes disconnected, not in use at all, correct? I need to set up vacuum to the distrib, right? Anything special for the tach?
.the comments on the spring kit show confusion over which colors are lightest to stronger springs? Anyway, you said "gold". Spark plug gap stay the same at .045?
Thanks again
Nick
Vacuum goes to manifold vacuum, not ported.
Tach wire goes to same place. So does the battery wire
Computer is not needed. Oxygen sensor not needed. MAP sensor not needed. (You can use it's port for dizzy. It's manifold vacuum)
Spark plug is .045"
Gold springs are the stiffest, and work well on HEI units.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Greasyfingers Nick
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MelWff
you started off saying you have no problems, so why are you now considering changing things? The timing figure you have currently 26 at idle, is that with the ECC disconnected? The total of 36 is perfect.
thanks to all..I'd avoid China mfg on anything..if only I could..and I try.
and..why would I consider any changes..Since the sayings "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "leave well enough alone" should apply. 1> just a bad habit of tinkering. 2. thinking good is not quite good enough..as said in the thread, with the computer still controlling the distrib but not getting any info from the carb.,.it makes me wonder how well the ECC is working, and what it is doing, so thinking if to go "off the computer' then it might be best to go completely off. 3. Is the 26 deg at idle but this was reported to me by a shop..I am not sure it is accurate and will have to recheck. All may be just fine. Problem is after spending an afternoon on various forums it seems ALL the aftermarket distributors have some fairly frequent problems, even the costly MSD 8365...bad springs and bushes as delivered new. So you are prob right..don't mess with it. There are more "woe is me" tales of distributor installs with equip that was either bad on delivery, or went bad within minutes or hours, than there are success stories. Some blame to China, some to even things made in the USA are not made the way they used to be made. MSD, Mallory, Performance DUI, Pertronix..all with horror stories. Seemed to be fewer with Accel. Anyway still open to comments on what distributor you might install on the 350.
thanks
Nick

Get notified of new replies

To help timing 81 with all smog removed

Quick Reply: help timing 81 with all smog removed