C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which cars high amp alternator junk yard

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Default which cars high amp alternator junk yard

Anyone happen to know cars to look at in the junk yard to get a high amp alternator off of?

Thanks...
Old 09-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

SI or CS?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: the junk yards I used to frequent all had racks of parts number cross reference books. The counter guy (or lady) should be able to tell where to look for your alternator. It's also possible they can grab one off the shelf.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 09-02-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
SI or CS?
SI or as I like to call them "modern"

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
FWIW: the junk yards I used to frequent all had racks of parts number cross reference books. The counter guy or lady) should be able to tell where to look for your alternator. It's also possible they can grab one off the shelf.
There goes Mike selling books again...
The only paper books at the yard I hit are old trucker zines.

It's cool now days they have it on the comp data bases but I have to know a car to start with, for example some blazers I believe had alts 200 or 220 amps but the yard can only tell me if they have the car there.
I cant ask or look up which chevys had high output alts...or at least I havent found that list yet hence my question here...

It is handy info.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

SI was 1971-1985
63,105, and 140 ampere

I would start with Cadillac, police cars, ambulances and trucks.

Anything that had all power windows,locks,A/C, all the bells and whistles.

Happy hunting.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't know ALTs too well. Just know the mid 80's Suburbans have higher AMPs with the same size case as ours cars. It that helps at all. Some Cadillacs do also. I would think any GM with a lot of ele features would have higher AMP.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I'd look at some 90's BMWs- 5 & 7 series. Bosch alternators- really quality pieces- not to mention 140A on the air cooled ones. Yes- the plastic tube is designed to get fresh air from the front of the car.

Now if you want to go off the scale cool- there's some water cooled ones that are in the 150A range and a wimpy 90A at IDLE!!!- On the late 90s- early 2000's 7 series.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

So what I'm I missing about this one....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BLACK-HIGH-OUTPUT-ALTERNATOR-FIT-GM-65-85-1-WIRE-ONE-WIRE-220-AMPS-150A-IDLE-/331318022773?hash=item4d2417d275&vxp=mtr
Old 09-02-2015, 10:21 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The one wire part?

I'd bet someone is fibbing a bit
Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by The13Bats
So what I'm I missing about this one....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BLACK-HI...17d275&vxp=mtr
The need for it.

Are you planning on doing arc welding out of the car?
Is your sound system 2000 watts?
If the regulator is working properly, you will never see full output, and they know that.
The large SI units are prone to overheating. The heat sinks were never meant for above 100A
The CS units solved that
Old 09-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TimAT

Big time.
I bet it is for peak power in milliseconds, then drops like a rock.
I bet if I set it up with a 200ampere load, it would let out the smoke pretty fast.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:05 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Now if you want to go off the scale cool- there's some water cooled ones that are in the 150A range and a wimpy 90A at IDLE!!!- On the late 90s- early 2000's 7 series.
A water cooled alternator...german (over)engineering at its finest
Old 09-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dugsgms74
A water cooled alternator...german (over)engineering at its finest
Only the Krauts, I had a V8 Audi RS4 that Sad disappointment had a water cooled alternator on it.

Like someone said a Caddillac or cop car. Someone has also linked to EBay, lots of SI high output alternators available there but, watch out for cheap foreign components that can easily fail.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:19 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Might need some of this if that alternator really does 200A

Old 09-03-2015, 07:44 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

The one wire part?

Why do you say that "one wire" alternators have been around working fine for many years but do have a lot of mystic and misinformation with some.

http://www.rodauthority.com/tech-sto...er-to-hook-up/

The need for it.

Are you planning on doing arc welding out of the car?
Is your sound system 2000 watts?
If the regulator is working properly, you will never see full output, and they know that.
The large SI units are prone to overheating. The heat sinks were never meant for above 100A
The CS units solved that
I would expect no less from you bbird,
I am not doing any welding from the car and do not have a ghetto thumping bass heavy stereo,

I will have electric fans, low end stereo, modern lights and other things that draw more than the car did in 69,

To me Having a larger alternator is like having a larger gas tank or having a condom or gun on hand,
it's far better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it.

Big time.
I bet it is for peak power in milliseconds, then drops like a rock.
I bet if I set it up with a 200ampere load, it would let out the smoke pretty fast.
Maybe it would maybe not guessing about it dones't help perhaps all the companies offereing them would like to take you up on the bets if you have the toad pelts to back it up, I respect your opinions although they are just that I really feel you should express it to the companies.

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Only the Krauts, I had a V8 Audi RS4 that Sad disappointment had a water cooled alternator on it.

I want to walk into a parts store and proudly spew out, my alternator has a water leak....

Like someone said a Caddillac or cop car. Someone has also linked to EBay, lots of SI high output alternators available there but, watch out for cheap foreign components that can easily fail.
That is my main concern, the ebay units have tons of good feedback but what parts are they really made out of...good import parts or crap import parts...

Might need some of this if that alternator really does 200A
I found the stock alternator wire dinky even for stock samps and I replaced it with larger wire a long time ago, I also do things like run relays on my headlights which some people feel are a must and other simply do not feel are needed.....

The main reason I asked the threads topic question was to find a junk yard high amp alternator to know it's made well...
When I saw what ebay offered new it got me thinking.

Last edited by The13Bats; 09-03-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Maybe it would maybe not guessing about it dones't help perhaps all the companies offereing them would like to take you up on the bets if you have the toad pelts to back it up, I respect your opinions although they are just that I really feel you should express it to the companies.
This is what a purpose built 200 amp rated alternator looks like:
http://www.dieselusa.com/productinfo...0to%20200a.pdf

If you think they can do the same in that little SI case, then by all means, buy into it.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:33 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

This is what a purpose built 200 amp rated alternator looks like:
http://www.dieselusa.com/productinfo...0to%20200a.pdf

If you think they can do the same in that little SI case, then by all means, buy into it.
If you are so adamant they can not and are not doing it go hit one one of the many companies building them and tell them you know more about it than they do and they are wrong and building the imposible,
I am seeking info not your opinion, if you want to show me facts then show me 100% of the ones in a si case failed....

Get notified of new replies

To which cars high amp alternator junk yard

Old 09-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

If you are so adamant they can not and are not doing it go hit one one of the many companies building them and tell them you know more about it than they do and they are wrong and building the imposible,
I am seeking info not your opinion, if you want to show me facts then show me 100% of the ones in a si case failed....
From powermasters website:

300/350 AMP OUTPUT: Powermaster's SPL alternators utilize special custom wound stators and our own rotor design, in conjunction with the XS VOLT's capabilities, to create the ultimate car audio alternator. Units typically produce 300 amps at 2000 engine RPMs when used with a 12-volt system and 350 amps when used with 16-volt systems. The SPL alternators are specifically designed for trailer only extreme competition vehicles. Because of the radical design, output at idle is usually 0 and because of additional heat created; these units should not be operated at full output for more than a few minutes. In some cases, SPL units can be custom installed as a second alternator to the original unit for street applications. However, caution must be taken that only short-term loads are sent to the SPL alternator.

It would seem they are saying it is a peak rating only, and sustained duty will kill it.(I kinda told you that).
So they can say it puts out 200amperes, and it can, till it burns up.
They are leaving out the continuous power rating.
Delco and the other manufacturers post the continuous duty rating, not peak power.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:00 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

From powermasters website:

300/350 AMP OUTPUT: Powermaster's SPL alternators utilize special custom wound stators and our own rotor design, in conjunction with the XS VOLT's capabilities, to create the ultimate car audio alternator. Units typically produce 300 amps at 2000 engine RPMs when used with a 12-volt system and 350 amps when used with 16-volt systems. The SPL alternators are specifically designed for trailer only extreme competition vehicles. Because of the radical design, output at idle is usually 0 and because of additional heat created; these units should not be operated at full output for more than a few minutes. In some cases, SPL units can be custom installed as a second alternator to the original unit for street applications. However, caution must be taken that only short-term loads are sent to the SPL alternator.

It would seem they are saying it is a peak rating only, and sustained duty will kill it.(I kinda told you that).
So they can say it puts out 200amperes, and it can, till it burns up.
They are leaving out the continuous power rating.
Delco and the other manufacturers post the continuous duty rating, not peak power.
geez man you ran with that, I bet you and toobroke are or would be really good buds.

I asked about junk yard higher amp alt then posted a wild 220 amp one on ebay for critiquing which is got but the critiquing so far is pretty much opinion not fact. ( but I tend to believe most ebay stuff is junk )

I already told you that I have zero interest in high end car stereos or welding from my car, why beat that poor dead horse ?
Bbird, you go way, way out on the limb of the subject and you find some 300 plus alt and because the outfit that makes it admits it's some special use item you want to blanket that down the chain and try to use that unit to prove all higher amp alt's will not work, what poppycock,

How about find some tech like that on a 140 amp, hum?
Old 09-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

because the outfit that makes it admits it's some special use item you want to blanket that down the chain and try to use that unit to prove all higher amp alt's will not work, what poppycock,
I was trying to explain to you that peak power and continuous power are not the same, and that these manufacturers are playing on that fact in their advertisements.

Now you insult me by comparing me to the Mountain Hermit just because you don't get it?

You seem to bait people with a question, then use the fodder as fuel to argue.

Your on your own buddy. Go argue with someone else.

Quick Reply: which cars high amp alternator junk yard