C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Speed slight vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:21 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default High Speed slight vibration

The '79 has a vibration that only occurs at speeds arouind and over about 65 mph. It makes me think U-joint. The thing is... I have had the car checked over quite thoroughly about 8 months ago and all was fine. Is it possible for a u-joint to be bad and not show it during an inspection?

The car sat for quite a while before I got it. perhaps about 8 years. I realize that tires can flat-spot, but I would think I would feel that at all speeds.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 PM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My thought is if those tires haven't been changed after sitting 8 years they should be immediately. 7 -10 years is a rough life of the rubber. Most shops won't touch wheels and tires if they are older than 10 years unless they are replacing them.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:42 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLTED
The '79 has a vibration that only occurs at speeds arouind and over about 65 mph. It makes me think U-joint. The thing is... I have had the car checked over quite thoroughly about 8 months ago and all was fine. Is it possible for a u-joint to be bad and not show it during an inspection?

The car sat for quite a while before I got it. perhaps about 8 years. I realize that tires can flat-spot, but I would think I would feel that at all speeds.

Thanks for any thoughts.

A flat spot on a tire or a half shaft u-joint would give you about 775 times-a-minute vibration and a drive shaft u-joint would give you a 2000-2500 times-a-minute vibration. If a front tire was the cause you'd feel it in your steering wheel and if a drive shaft u-joint is causing it you could feel it in the center console.

As the half shaft u-joints are always under a compression load they're harder to check.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:15 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Originally Posted by sstopczy
My thought is if those tires haven't been changed after sitting 8 years they should be immediately. 7 -10 years is a rough life of the rubber. Most shops won't touch wheels and tires if they are older than 10 years unless they are replacing them.
Yeah. New tires this spring. It's a shame, these still have valuable smoke in them.

A flat spot on a tire or a half shaft u-joint would give you about 775 times-a-minute vibration and a drive shaft u-joint would give you a 2000-2500 times-a-minute vibration. If a front tire was the cause you'd feel it in your steering wheel and if a drive shaft u-joint is causing it you could feel it in the center console.
It is definately resonating throughout the car, not in the steering wheel.

Last edited by COOLTED; 09-02-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:38 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLTED
Yeah. New tires this spring. It's a shame, these still have valuable smoke in them.

It is definitely resonating throughout the car, not in the steering wheel.

A failing u-joint would be the most likely cause of a high-frequency vibration because of the high rpm that the u-joints operate in. And I would suspect the drive shaft u-joints because they spin at 3+ times the rpm as the half shaft u-joints.

You can easily check the drive shaft u-joints by using two large Channel Lock types of pliers; one to hold the yoke and the other to twist the drive shaft. If you detect ANY movement that u-joint is shot.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:53 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I had a 55-65 mph vibration. Shop that did my alignment wanted to replace all the u joints. Took it in for a tire balance and that fixed the problem although none of the tires were that far out.
I don't think u joints fail all that often and you usually get a pretty good clunk when putting it in drive if they are going.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:20 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

The first thing that came to mine was tire balance. If you're considering replacing the tires anyhow, might as well do that and while its up in the air, check on the drivetrain health.

If the tires are still good, it isn't too expensive just to balance them again.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:08 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Another thing to check is the transmission mount.....if it's original it could be on it's way out and not be able to hold things stable at speed.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:47 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Thanks all, gonna start by checking the tranny mount. It's easier to change than u-joints.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:25 PM
JC68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 105 Posts

COOLTED

If your tires are old you could also have a problem with the belts coming loose. If this is true you will only feel the vibration at certain speed ranges. When I first bought my 68 it would vibrate only between 50-55 mph on the 15 year old tires it had on it. Above or below that speed everything was fine. Replaced the tires and it went away. My suggestion is replace your tires first, and if that doesn't fix your problem then worry about the rest.

John
Old 09-03-2015, 08:28 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

Hey CoolTed,

Does the amount of vibration change when you let off the throttle and coast? Have the same issue with my '78 and the vibration occurs at 60 + MPH and it is constant. Somewhere I think I heard that U joints will vibrate under load bur not while coasting. Curious how yours reacts. I think my issue is tires and im not sure how old they are.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:42 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by biackbenz
Somewhere I think I heard that U joints will vibrate under load bur not while coasting.
That's how it was for me years ago on my old z-car. Vibrated under load but not when coasting. Replaced the u-joint, all good after that.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:12 AM
COOLTED
Pro

Originally Posted by biackbenz
Hey CoolTed,

Does the amount of vibration change when you let off the throttle and coast? Have the same issue with my '78 and the vibration occurs at 60 + MPH and it is constant. Somewhere I think I heard that U joints will vibrate under load bur not while coasting. Curious how yours reacts. I think my issue is tires and im not sure how old they are.
The vibration is always there, power, cruise or coast.

Get notified of new replies

To High Speed slight vibration

Quick Reply: High Speed slight vibration