C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muncie input shaft front bearing fit tolerance in case

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 03:04 AM
steve4570
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muncie input shaft front bearing fit tolerance in case

I just wanted to ask the Muncie experts how the input shaft front bearing should fit in the case. Mine has a bit of play when fitted in the case, is this normal for a 1967 Muncie. Does the front retainer assembly hold it tight when bolted up. Steve.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:28 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by steve4570
I just wanted to ask the Muncie experts how the input shaft front bearing should fit in the case. Mine has a bit of play when fitted in the case, is this normal for a 1967 Muncie. Does the front retainer assembly hold it tight when bolted up. Steve.

There shouldn't be any play but rather a "zero" press fit. The wear will be directly opposite the counter shaft center line. If the amount of wear gets bad enough a machine shop can make a steel bushing and press it into the case. You'll likely find the bore for the counter shaft has also loosened and guess what causes it? Yep, jumping on it in 1st and 2nd gears as that puts a tremendous load on the shafts and bearings.

Last edited by toobroketoretire; 09-03-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:25 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
You'll likely find the bore for the counter shaft has also loosened and guess what causes it? Yep, jumping on it in 1st and 2nd gears as that puts a tremendous load on the shafts and bearings.
I agree that the bearing to case fit should be a very slight press fit. If it's loose, it'll spin and wear the bore in the case even more.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm afraid that the countershaft has loosened in my M20. Would this cause an intermittent oil leak, primarily when in reverse? I seem to lose oil while backing out of my garage, but it stops when I begin moving forward.

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie input shaft front bearing fit tolerance in case

Quick Reply: Muncie input shaft front bearing fit tolerance in case