C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on crate motor upgrade..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:28 AM
im4darush
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Advice on crate motor upgrade..

I am currently running your standard mexican goodwrench 350 with the 76cc heads. Sitting on my shelf I have a pair of new 113 aluminum heads taken off a ZZ4 crate engine (not original corvette castings), a performer RPM intake and a few different carbs.

My thinking was to bolt on these parts and upgrade the stamped rockers on the 113 heads to 1.6 ratio rollers for a bit more lift. I know that a cam swap would be more effective, but this is the plan for now. Does anyone know if I can use the pushrods I currently have? I am swapping heads and rockers, but unsure that would be enough to throw off geometry. Thoughts?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:12 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by im4darush
I am currently running your standard mexican goodwrench 350 with the 76cc heads. Sitting on my shelf I have a pair of new 113 aluminum heads taken off a ZZ4 crate engine (not original corvette castings), a performer RPM intake and a few different carbs.

My thinking was to bolt on these parts and upgrade the stamped rockers on the 113 heads to 1.6 ratio rollers for a bit more lift. I know that a cam swap would be more effective, but this is the plan for now. Does anyone know if I can use the pushrods I currently have? I am swapping heads and rockers, but unsure that would be enough to throw off geometry. Thoughts?
You'll need to measure for pushrod length to make sure you get the proper geometry.I did the same thing with my l48 and came back 2 months later and did the camshaft, it's less work to do the camshaft with the heads.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:28 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by im4darush

I installed a new ZZ4 in my wife's 78 about eight or nine years ago and used the GM "Hot Cam" and GM 1.6 roller rockers with stock pushrods. If I remember right the stock heads are 58cc. Everything worked perfectly and fit under the stock GM valve covers and still runs trouble free today.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 09-04-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:12 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I installed a new ZZ4 in my wife's 78 about eight or nine years ago and used the GM "Hot Cam" and GM 1.6 roller rockers with stock pushrods. If I remember right the stock heads are 58cc. Everything worked perfectly and fit under the stock GM valve covers and still runs trouble free today.
That was how it came, the op wants to install ZZ4 heads on a non ZZ4 short block so geometry might no be right.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:22 AM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Nothing wrong with doing it that way and should give a noticeable increase in performance.Make sure you curve the distributor while you are at it.

One thing to consider would be to do the best valve job you can on the heads and a little porting wouldn't hurt either.Check the spring pressure to make sure they will support whatever cam you may switch to later.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on crate motor upgrade..

Quick Reply: Advice on crate motor upgrade..