C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delco external coil question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 03:45 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Delco external coil question

Allow me to ask a stupid question. I just received my stock Delco external coil for a small cap HEI. Unlike other coils I have from Pertronix, DUI, the coil is loose in it's metal ring. You can move it back & forth about 1/4" near the red arrow.
Does this compromise it's function?

Is it required to ground the the metal ring? The in cap coil grounds through the distributor but what about the external one ?

Thanks,
Nick

Old 09-03-2015, 10:18 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by dembo
Allow me to ask a stupid question. I just received my stock Delco external coil for a small cap HEI. Unlike other coils I have from Pertronix, DUI, the coil is loose in it's metal ring. You can move it back & forth about 1/4" near the red arrow.
Does this compromise it's function?

Is it required to ground the the metal ring? The in cap coil grounds through the distributor but what about the external one ?

Thanks,
Nick

The winding loose on the core will not compromise function.

The ground return path should be in the supplied primary plug.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Yes as B2B said the coil has its own connection to ground in the winding's - usually winding's are connected end to end and grounded in between where the break in the circuit comes from the dist. Like the hot wire stays hot and the ground wire is controlled by the dist hall effect, magnetic, points or other crank timing device and the output current flows out the secondary winding to the rotor to the plug.

The metal core concentrates the magnetic lines of flux and allows induced currents to flow inside. I would not ground the core as that would reference the coil to batt negative potential. U want the coil to be floating as it makes spark as a function of potential difference - not as a regulated or referenced source. And i dont think u want it to move as it will receive a torque movement every time the mag field collapses and returns. Where the best position is would be a guess without laboratory equipment to measure changes in position. What im saying is if it starts to make noise or rub the coil case/epoxy u may want to use some adhesive to keep it in place.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:24 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the answers and the clear explanation Cardo. I searched the internet on how it functions but couldn't find anything usefull.
I was thinking of a ground strap as it's mounted to the fibreglass firewall. Usually the are mounted on a bracket to the intake manifold or metal firewall. Doesn't that make a ground path as well from the ring to engine/chassis to the - battery post?
Regards,
Nick
Old 09-04-2015, 03:45 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Thats a good question but i think u would have to remove the black coating on the coil core to get any continuity. The HEI ive had were always cap mounted and my MSD coil for the MSD hall effect dist has no ground. So why then would u add a ground to the metal core? Now i see the coil in the cap HEI does have the the metal core "grounded" but i think that ground does not go directly to chassis ground - either through the HEI module or the dist itself: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...EI_distributor.
The HEI with stand alone coils do not ground that core: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ig...jeeps-1302352/.
Well if u ground it and lose spark u will know where to look. Without instructions to ground the metal core i wouldnt ground it directly.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:46 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the links Cardo, very informative.
I'll remove the ground strap and take it from there
Regards,
Nick
Old 09-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by dembo
Thank you for the answers and the clear explanation Cardo. I searched the internet on how it functions but couldn't find anything usefull.
I was thinking of a ground strap as it's mounted to the fibreglass firewall. Usually the are mounted on a bracket to the intake manifold or metal firewall. Doesn't that make a ground path as well from the ring to engine/chassis to the - battery post?
Regards,
Nick
If it needed a ground strap, it would have a provision for it. It does not require one.

Get notified of new replies

To Delco external coil question

Quick Reply: Delco external coil question