C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Issues 1980 stock corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:34 PM
timhenze
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Issues 1980 stock corvette

Car runs better with timing at a higher BDC over the timing gauge. When I put it on 6 BDC in get a backfire condition. Any Ideas?
Old 09-03-2015, 05:43 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Your marks on the harmonic balancer could be off. The outer ring can slip over time.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:59 PM
timhenze
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Your marks on the harmonic balancer could be off. The outer ring can slip over time.
How can check?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:01 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by timhenze
Car runs better with timing at a higher BDC over the timing gauge. When I put it on 6 BDC in get a backfire condition. Any Ideas?

Over time the outer ring on the OEM damper will slip to a retarded position so when you set the timing it'll be retarded as much as the damper is retarded. If you still have the OEM damper its best to replace it with a modern silicon-rubber dampened damper that will have valve setting marks every 90 degrees and is marked up to about 50 degrees.

To illustrate how dampers can fail I had my 454" standing on it's hind end while I was tapping on the OEM damper to get it started when the outer ring literally FELL onto the timing chain cover. As in CLUNK. Thanks to Summit Racing I had a new one delivered to me the next morning.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing Issues 1980 stock corvette

Quick Reply: Timing Issues 1980 stock corvette