C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Courtesy Light issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 PM
bagpipes
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Odd Courtesy Light issue

I've searched all over for a similar scenario but have come up empty handed.

My 78 seems to have an odd issue with the courtesy lights. Firstly the light on the drivers side foot well is MIA - wires, bulb, socket etc.

Secondly, when I open the drivers door, nothing happens but when the passenger side is opened, the foot well light and the dome light work.

Thirdly, if I use the headlight switch to turn the interior lights on - nothing happens.

I think I read somewhere that the seat belt buzzer and the ignition buzzer are somehow linked to the drivers side door switch and those don't work either. But the "head lights on" buzzer does.

I'm stumped and it doesn't look like anyone has messed with the wiring besides removing the one foot well connection. (could that be the issue?)

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:41 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The first thing I would check is the driver side courtesy light switch. Just unscrew it and pull out the switch. I think the driver side has three wires. They should all be tan in color. Regardless of the number the operation of the switch is simple and readily apparent when you look at it--all it does is provide all of the wires with a path to ground via the switch body.

Look carefully for the courtesy light connector. It may very well be behind the trim panel on the outboard side (two screws one in front and one in rear both "hidden" by carpet). One orange and one white wire--they break out just above and to the rear of the fuse box.

Yes, the driver's door switch is part of the circuit for the key in alarm--it provides ground to a contact in the ignition switch so that when the driver door is open and key inserted, the alarm sounds. The driver's door switch has nothing whatsoever to do with the seat belt warning. Does your seat belt reminder light come on for a few seconds after you start the car? Since the seat belt switch is open with the seat belt buckled it was very common for people to simply disconnect it thus eliminating buzzer operation without affecting anything else.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:58 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

I forgot to mention the no courtesy lights from the headlight switch problem--sorry.

The courtesy lights have constant +12V power and are operated by providing a ground path. Since they work with the passenger door open you know that the circuit is mainly (at least) intact and probably fully intact.

The headlight switch simply provides an alternate path to ground for the courtesy lights. It sounds to me like either the contacts are corroded or that part of the switch is defective. If this is your first time removing the headlight switch it's a bit frustrating. After removing the trim panels and ducts, worm your hand up above the switch. You'll feel the two vacuum hoses coming in from the side. Just behind (towards the rear of the car) where the connection for the hoses you will feel a little (maybe 3/16") spring-loaded button. I believe you first pull the **** out to the "full on" position, press the button and pull the **** again to release it. (You might have to start with the **** in the "off" position, but you get the idea...) Once the **** is released you simply unscrew the retaining nut. The connection that provides ground to the courtesy lights is to the side of the switch on a different plane than the rest of the connections--while a single connector that one connection almost looks like a separate piece of it.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:23 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

These will help you find the issues.

and here is the entire circuit traced in the factory wire schematic. Light blue = white on this schematic. If you click on the picture below twice it will blow up real big, then copy and paste it into your paint program and save to your desktop.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:59 PM
bagpipes
Advanced

Thanks a ton. That's some helpful info. My single and possibly biggest issue that the drivers side light is, as mentioned, MIA. There is no trace of the white or orange wire.

I will continue from here though and see what I can do with the above information.

Cheers.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:23 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Driver side light isn't on the kick panel, it's under the dash just left of the steering column......
Old 09-06-2015, 11:44 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Driver side light isn't on the kick panel, it's under the dash just left of the steering column......
What does the light attach to? A bracket on the rear of the dash?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:25 AM
bagpipes
Advanced

Sadly my entire light is MIA. It's completely gone and there is no sign of the orange and white wire anywhere. I'm thinking sombody yanked it out or possibly got it snagged on a shoe or something if it was hanging down with a broken clip (like my passengers side) So here's a question, if these wires were pulled out / cut etc, would that prevent the dome light from coming on? I'm wondering if one completes the circuit for the other now.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:39 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
What does the light attach to? A bracket on the rear of the dash?
A recess in the dash pad.

You're sure the light isn't up above the duct work somewhere?
I'm thinking a few cars came off the line with that light out of place by past responses to this situation, including one of mine!
I don't think cutting the wires would affect the other lights, otherwise a burned out bulb would disrupt the circuit(like OLD Christmas lights)
Old 09-07-2015, 10:20 PM
bagpipes
Advanced

I'm thinking a few cars came off the line with that light out of place by past responses to this situation, including one of mine!
I don't think cutting the wires would affect the other lights, otherwise a burned out bulb would disrupt the circuit(like OLD Christmas lights)

Ya, I'm pretty certain there is nothing. I had the ducts out and the speedo / tach a couple of weeks ago and it was nowhere.

Also, mine doesn't have that clip pictured for the bulb bracket to connect to. I'm almost getting annoyed at this point - but there's a beer fridge in the garage so that gives me something to smile about.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:58 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

It's guys like you who go out and crawl around their car to take pictures to post, to try to help a forum member, that makes this forum great!

Get notified of new replies

To Odd Courtesy Light issue

Quick Reply: Odd Courtesy Light issue