C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 02:48 PM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Turn signal problem

Hi and thanks for looking.

Just replaced my turn signal switch assembly and I have no turn signals.
Brake lights are fine.

When I press the brakes the dash turn signal indicators turn on.

does this indicate something specific to help me trouble shoot>?

Thanks for any reply's!
Old 09-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 71LS5
Hi and thanks for looking.

Just replaced my turn signal switch assembly and I have no turn signals.
Brake lights are fine.

When I press the brakes the dash turn signal indicators turn on.

does this indicate something specific to help me trouble shoot>?

Thanks for any reply's!
Let's get some basics. Do you have a standard (non-adjustable) steering column or a Tilt & Telescoping column? Why did you replace your turn signal switch?

If your old switch is still serviceable, you should be able to disconnect the plastic harmonica connector that connects the new switch to your vehicle wiring harness. You do not have to install the old switch into your steering column to run this quick test. You should be able to connect your old switch to your vehicle wiring harness and see if stepping on your brake pedal causes the same problem. This will at least isolate if the problem is the new switch or not.

On the steering column harmonica connector, position P (the end position) there is a black wire with a white stripe. The position corresponding to the vehicle wiring harness connector where the end position wire is white.

That vehicle wiring harness wire supplies 12 volts when the brake pedal is pushed. So there is brake light voltage being directed into the steering column and into the turn signal switch. This is part of the key warning buzzer switch circuit.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
SH-60B (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 12:05 AM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Thanks for getting back to me Jim. You have been a great support for many many years here! I found the problem and wanted to share it with the forum such that other can benefit. The symptoms I explained appear to be rather common and can have several causes. I took my gil telescopic column back apart and found the cause to be the hazard switch not properly aligned. After I aligned it into the turn signal switch I was able to test it before reassembling the steering column. My best advise for those that need to get in the column is to test out the horn and signals before the column re-assembly. This cost me anothe day that hopefully will help someone out in the future!

Cheers 71LS5 AKA Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signal problem

Quick Reply: Turn signal problem