C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bog down on takeoff

Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 AM
SinfulC3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bog down on takeoff

So, as I'm about to pull out into the highway this morning the ol gal nearly died on me. Push in the clutch and it will catch right back up to itself. This happens now and then and I'm having troubles figuring it out. Hopefully you can help.
76 L48 4speed.
Edelbrock 1406 Carb
Edelbrock Intake.
Cut fuel line. As in, original metal line cut and a rubber line put on with inline filter. It's in the plans to fix this, but for now this is where I sit.
Inline filter is new.

The car was running for 3-5 minute prior to the event with easy stop and go type driving.

Go to pull out, not under HEAVY acceleration, but enough to not be a holdup for traffic.

It will generally only do this once or twice for the drive.

New plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

New fuel pump in the box... it's next to go on. Do you think this might rectify my issues?

**Edit** Just checked and it's hooked into the middle hole of the accelerator pump.

Any help is appreciated before I cause a

Nick

Last edited by SinfulC3; 09-17-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Do you live in a fairly cold climate? Driving just 3-5 minutes won't warm your engine very much so it could be a simple choke adjustment issue causing your stumble.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:24 AM
SinfulC3
Instructor

Indiana - It was 50s this morning.
Electric choke, if that matters for the adjustment thoughts.

Seems to do it regardless of the outside temps.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:36 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I kinda agree with toobroke. The car might just need a choke adjustment. Does it only do it when the engine is cold, or does it also happen when it is fully warmed up?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:34 PM
SinfulC3
Instructor

Only when engine temps are cold as best I can recall.

Question though... With the electric choke, I go out in the AM start it up, it idles high and when I tap the throttle it revs a bit then goes down to regular idle speeds (700RPMs).

Doesn't that mean at that point the choke is effectively turned off?
If I am correct in that assumption, then my knowledge obviously falls off here as I don't know what I would possibly adjust at this point in relation to the choke.

I'm willing to try anything, so if someone has some ideas/links I should read up on I'm game.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:41 PM
SinfulC3
Instructor

Found some videos, I'll see what I can figure out.
Any suggestions on lean/rich? I'm guessing I'll want this leaned out?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:59 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Originally Posted by SinfulC3
Only when engine temps are cold as best I can recall.

Question though... With the electric choke, I go out in the AM start it up, it idles high and when I tap the throttle it revs a bit then goes down to regular idle speeds (700RPMs).
This in normal.

Doesn't that mean at that point the choke is effectively turned off?
at this point the choke may be off or one step toward off.

If the idle speed goes down when bumping the throttle soon after startup, then you may need to rich up the choke.
I wish I had the brains to explain how it works, but I don't.

To adjust, just loosen up the 3 screws on the choke coil housing and tighten up the spring a little. You will find some instructions on adjustments by bending the rod, I strongly suggest that you do not do this. You can really open up a can if you havn't done this before.

Last edited by COOLTED; 09-17-2015 at 04:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nivensid (09-24-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 04:04 PM
SinfulC3
Instructor

Exactly will fall from about 1500 RPMs down to 700 at the blip of the throttle. Have to wait no amount of time for this to happen.

I'll try to go richer, that should put more pressure on the choke plate from what little I've read so far.

I'll report back.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:37 AM
SinfulC3
Instructor

Finally got out to the garage last night to take a look at the carb.
Let's start with the normal obligations - TORX sucks.

Now that that's out of the way...
I looked things over and it was set dead center. I Loosened things up, turned the choke to the right to richen it up a bit as well as put more pressure on the spring to the choke plate.
Happy with what I had accomplished I closed the hood.

This morning, mid 50s, fire the ol girl up. RPMs go to 1500 (where does your car idle when the choke is on? that seems a bit high to me or maybe its the duals being so loud that makes me think it's too high). Rev her a bit and she drops to a grand.
Back out of the garage aaannnnddddd no hesitation. first time ever, it just backs out without bogging down. I like what I'm seeing so far.
finish backing out, move to N while I wait for the garage to close and RPMs are back up to 1200 or so. This is also new, normally just tapping the gas will kill the choke and certainly moving anywhere will have it all but 100% off.
Anyway, drove to work today and had 1 very small bog at a stop sign. Car wasn't even close to warmed up, 1/4 mile from the house but even then it wasn't to the point that the car was about to die, it was more along the lines of releasing the clutch a bit too quickly type of bog.

So, I think I'm on the right track, just a bit more tuning/messing around with the carb should have me up and running correctly in no time flat.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:15 AM
COOLTED
Pro

Glad to hear it. Sounds like you are on the right path.

Get notified of new replies

To Bog down on takeoff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bog down on takeoff