C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing water pump belt on 1972 Corvette 454

Old 09-20-2015, 09:24 PM
LadyStingray
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing water pump belt on 1972 Corvette 454

I am the original owner of a 1972 Corvette Stingray 454, 4-speed with A.I.R and air conditioning. It has a 3-groove pulley on the water pump. The water pump to engine belt is shot. However, because I could not get it over the pulleys, I cut it off. All other belts have been removed. Now, how do I get the new water pump belt on? It is a GM reproduction belt from Quanta Products (gastanks.com). If I could get the 3-groove pulley part of the way off, I believe I could get the belt on and then push the pulley and belt upward and slip the pulley back on the water pump shaft. What is the trick to removing the pulley from the water pump? I don’t want to have to remove the water pump with the pulley on it to get the belt on. Is there a special tool for pulling the pulley off the water pump shaft?
Old 09-20-2015, 09:38 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

no need to remove any pulleys. The accessories alternator, PS pump, A/C compressor, and air pump if equipped all have adjustable brackets. Loosen up the pivot mount and the adjustment bolt( it is located at the elongated slot) to loosen for belt adjustment/replacement. Once the new belt is on use a pry bar to hold the accessory tight while you tighten the bolts. A Chilton's Manual may be helpful.
Maybe you can find a member close by to help if you need it
Old 09-20-2015, 10:00 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyStingray
I am the original owner of a 1972 Corvette Stingray 454, 4-speed with A.I.R and air conditioning. It has a 3-groove pulley on the water pump. The water pump to engine belt is shot. However, because I could not get it over the pulleys, I cut it off. All other belts have been removed. Now, how do I get the new water pump belt on? It is a GM reproduction belt from Quanta Products (gastanks.com). If I could get the 3-groove pulley part of the way off, I believe I could get the belt on and then push the pulley and belt upward and slip the pulley back on the water pump shaft. What is the trick to removing the pulley from the water pump? I don’t want to have to remove the water pump with the pulley on it to get the belt on. Is there a special tool for pulling the pulley off the water pump shaft?
You've pretty much described what you need to do. The 4 bolts that attach the fan to the face of the pulley need to come out- and, of course, the fan will come out too. If memory serves, just loosening those bolts won't allow you to tilt the pulley enough to get the belt on. Once the belt is on, getting the pulley lined up with the bolt holes while trying to hold the fan in place won't be too much fun but it's do-able. If you line 1 hole up at 12 o'clock it'll be easier to get it started and the rest will fall into place after that. You're not alone since that belt on my '69 has started to squeal and I'll be doing the same thing soon enough. Have fun.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:01 PM
LadyStingray
Heel & Toe

Default Water pump belt

Originally Posted by jkippin
no need to remove any pulleys. The accessories alternator, PS pump, A/C compressor, and air pump if equipped all have adjustable brackets. Loosen up the pivot mount and the adjustment bolt( it is located at the elongated slot) to loosen for belt adjustment/replacement. Once the new belt is on use a pry bar to hold the accessory tight while you tighten the bolts. A Chilton's Manual may be helpful.
No problem with those; they are off without removing pulleys. This is a 1972 Water Pump / Idler, 454, w/ AC GM 3952336 Quanta Products 29-B-204 Belt. The only adjustment is with the idler. I removed the idler, but still could not get the belt off, so I cut it. This is a 3-goove pulley and the belt is on the last (3rd groove against the engine block). It goes nowhere but from the water pump the pulleys on the bottom of the engine. The idler is the only thing that can be loosened. Thank You.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Les
Race Director

I think the belt in question is the one closest to the block, which is direct from the crank pulley to the water pump pulley and doesn't have any adjustment.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Is this the belt that only goes from the crank to the water pump then?
If you loosen the 4 bolts holding the fan on you should be able to wiggle the pully part way off the center post. Chances are it.s stuck on there prettg good after these years. A tap with a rubber mallet near the hub (not out near thw belts or it could bend the pully ) to break it free.

slip the belt on and use the bolts to pull the pully back on
hih
m
Old 09-20-2015, 10:19 PM
72ragtop
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with Mooser. Thats how i did it on mine
Old 09-20-2015, 10:38 PM
LadyStingray
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mooser
If you loosen the 4 bolts holding the fan on you should be able to wiggle the pully part way off the center post. Chances are it.s stuck on there prettg good after these years. A tap with a rubber mallet near the hub (not out near thw belts or it could bend the pully ) to break it free.

hih
m
Yes it is the belt that goes from the crank to the water pump. I have removed the 4 bolts holding the fan on. I can't even get a wiggle. I have been afraid to hammer on it too much. I broke the pulled doing that a long time ago. But, I will try the rubber mallet. I have the Chilton Manuals. Attached is my belt positions ( 2 photos). Thank You.
Attached Images   
Old 09-20-2015, 10:52 PM
LadyStingray
Heel & Toe

You state that there is no adjustment in water pump to crankshaft belt. Then why does the idler have an adjustable slot for adjusting tension on the water pump/crank belt?
Old 09-20-2015, 10:56 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

have you tried putting the belt over the water pump snout pulley all the way back to the snout then putting the belt over the lower crank pulley in the correct location that it rides in (closest to the timing cover). The next step would be to put the belt on the water pump pulley. you would only need to move the belt to the rear most position of the pulley. you maybe able to roll the engine over using the balancer bolt. Ive done it this way in the past.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:04 PM
LadyStingray
Heel & Toe

have you tried putting the belt over the water pump snout pulley all the way back to the snout then putting the belt over the lower crank pulley in the correct location that it rides in (closest to the timing cover). The next step would be to put the belt on the water pump pulley. you would only need to move the belt to the rear most position of the pulley. you maybe able to roll the engine over using the balancer bolt. Ive done it this way in the past.
Yes, no luck. My thoughts today were to do something like that, but bump the engine over to get it on. But, I would need someone to help me if I bump the engine.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:06 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with Mooser. Additionally, be careful in that the 4 water pump 'bolts' are actually studs with nuts. Be sure you do thread the studs all of the way back into the pump flange. I use 2 nuts jammed together to rethread the studs back into the water pump flange.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:12 PM
LadyStingray
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by sray454
Agree with Mooser. Additionally, be careful in that the 4 water pump 'bolts' are actually studs with nuts. Be sure you do thread the studs all of the way back into the pump flange. I use 2 nuts jammed together to rethread the studs back into the water pump flange.
Yes, they are studs. I had to use 2 nuts jammed together to get one of the studs out.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I will figure it out.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:17 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

good luck get back to it with a fresh mind and I'm sure you'll get it. let us know what you did. some pics of that beast would be cool to see too
Old 09-20-2015, 11:18 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

hih
m

What Mooser is saying is correct. You must loosen the four bolts holding the fan to the W/P and tilt the pulley forward slightly then slip the belt on and tighten up the fan bolts. Same thing on my 69 427.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:13 AM
Les
Race Director

Yes it is the belt that goes from the crank to the water pump. I have removed the 4 bolts holding the fan on. I can't even get a wiggle. I have been afraid to hammer on it too much. I broke the pulled doing that a long time ago. But, I will try the rubber mallet. I have the Chilton Manuals. Attached is my belt positions ( 2 photos). Thank You.
You've done most of the work already. If that mallet doesn't break the bond you may need to shoot some penetrant like WD40 or whatever you prefer between the pulley and pump snout.

There are possibly 2 differences between your '72 and my '69. There is no idler pulley on mine, and to my knowledge it never came with studs instead of bolts for the water pump. However, I didn't buy it new so I'm not sure how it came from the factory. In any case, sorry if my advice was confusing due to the differences, and good luck.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:54 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

69 AIM

If it's the rear belt that runs around the crank and water pump ONLY, you have to remove the fan and water pump pulley to install. NO options. any other method (starting the belt and "bumping" the starter), you run the risk of bending a pulley.
You also need to make 100% sure the new belt is not to tight or it will murder the water pump bearings. Too loose and it will squeal.

If you have an idler pulley and the belt won't fit with the idler loose, I'd bet on a wrong belt.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing water pump belt on 1972 Corvette 454

Old 09-21-2015, 01:53 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Idler pulley only on AC cars for clarification.
My 68 has above lower right RPO C60/N40 Configuration.
It looks like a bear to do.
Marshal
Old 09-21-2015, 06:41 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,068 Posts

You state that there is no adjustment in water pump to crankshaft belt. Then why does the idler have an adjustable slot for adjusting tension on the water pump/crank belt?
The idler was only on the AC equipped cars.
Apparently the crank - water pump belt would slip with the added load from the AC so the added idler would tighten that belt a bit more.
M
Old 09-21-2015, 03:29 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

If you loosen the 4 bolts holding the fan on you should be able to wiggle the pully part way off the center post. Chances are it.s stuck on there pretty good after these years. A tap with a rubber mallet near the hub (not out near thw belts or it could bend the pully ) to break it free.

slip the belt on and use the bolts to pull the pulley back on
hih
m

The idler was only on the AC equipped cars.
Apparently the crank - water pump belt would slip with the added load from the AC so the added idler would tighten that belt a bit more.
M

I've been dealing with this belt for 40 years. The first time I replaced the belt, I went to the Chevy dealer to get the correct GM belt. I didn't like the fit and it didn't last. I went to NAPA and purchased a Gates belt that fit like I wanted and the idler pulley only had to be pushed in slightly.
I remove the 3 groove pulley and install the short belt over the crank first, then put in on the rear of the 3 groove pulley and re-install it right over the WP studs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing water pump belt on 1972 Corvette 454