C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley 4150 rich at WOT, what jet sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
Update for those following the over rich condition at WOT as described in my OP. I replaced the secondary spring from natural color to the next lightest, purple, and I can tell that my secondaries are now opening more than before. The engine grunt is louder and more pronounced than before. I still have yet to get my WB02 sensor hooked up again to check the AFR. Hopefully this week sometime, it's been really busy.
With my testing after the diaphragm repair the purple was able to open the secondaires but required 5000+ RPM to fully open. The yellow spring worked much better. I used a GOPRO to see the live action to confirm.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Update. After replacement of the diaphragm and now running 69-68 jets and the yellow spring the AFR for WOT in now well above the 10-11 range.

With the secondaries not working range was 10.9-11.2 now the range is 13.1 - 13.7.

The test was using 2nd starting @ 2000 RPM - 5000 RPM

I first get a little leam then drops to ~ 11.8 for about 1/2 sec then climbs to 13.7 you can see when the secondaries open as the AFR climbs from 12.3 to 13.7 steady @ ~ 13.2 around 3000 RPM.

So it was confirmed my problem with low AFR (Rich) for WOT and changing secondary jets had no effect in AFR was due to secondaries not opening due to failed diaphragm.

Interesting. I went out for a ride yesterday evening before I saw this update and recorded vacuum & AFR at WOT. Here is a video:
https://vimeo.com/141678802

I checked my secondary diaphragm - it wasn't torn or anything. Made sure to install back without distortion. Maybe I should try the yellow spring?

Pop Chevy - How would you adjust the air bleeds if they are too small?

cagotzmann - Can you post that video with the GoPro?

Last edited by Jartanyon; 10-07-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:54 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

From the video you loaded I don't think you are on WOT long enough for the AFR to average out , and I would guess at that RPM there is not enough air flow to open the secondaries very much. You would need a very light spring to get much action.

Best is to test using 2nd and 3rd through the RPM range. 1st is just to short of a run to see where things settle.

My video is RPM past 5000 running from 1st thur 4th using the yellow spring. The first part is with the torn diaphragm, the 2nd run is after the repair.

check out the holley spring specs

http://documents.holley.com/199r8219-2rev.pdf

none of the springs will open the secondaries full ~ 4300 RPM

Last edited by cagotzmann; 10-08-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:26 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,878 Likes on 916 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Cool video. It's amazing what we can do these days with simple technology!!

JIM
Old 10-12-2015, 10:53 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Update for those following the over rich condition at WOT as described in my OP. I replaced the secondary spring from natural color to the next lightest, purple, and I can tell that my secondaries are now opening more than before. The engine grunt is louder and more pronounced than before. I still have yet to get my WB02 sensor hooked up again to check the AFR. Hopefully this week sometime, it's been really busy.
Any results?

Matt
Old 02-02-2016, 08:46 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by quickcat
Any results?

Matt
Sorry for the delay in response!

My engine hesitation is cured. I performed a few different things at one time, so it is difficult to know what cured the issue. Here is what I did right before the WOT hesitation went away:

1.) Installed the correct air cleaner assembly and filter. It had a short air cleaner assembly with a short filter on it, the LT1 air cleaner assembly is much bigger and taller.

2.) Installed a Pertronix Ignitor in the distributor.

3.) Installed the purple secondary spring in the carb.

I wish I knew what change fixed the issue. Regardless, I feel as if each thing I did improved how the engine ran. The carb definitely needed to be refreshed, the ignition system was over-due for a tune up.

My wideband reading is close to stoich 14:1 +/- .5 while cruising, around 12:1 +/- .5 while accelerating and 10.5:1 +/- .5 under heavy acceleration. It no longer dips below 10:1.

Overall I am pleased with how it runs. The factory Holley is a 780cfm vs the 750cfm I have on it now, they ran rich from the get-go.

I hope this thread helps anyone who has a similar issue. Please feel free to contact me if I can offer any suggestions!
The following users liked this post:
jim-81 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:16 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Glad you got it to run better. your WOT seams to be about what it was when you started I am curious why you did not get her into the 12.5 to 13.2 range at WOT .
Old 02-02-2016, 12:23 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by diehrd
Glad you got it to run better. your WOT seams to be about what it was when you started I am curious why you did not get her into the 12.5 to 13.2 range at WOT .
Ideally I would like for it to be in that range. Maybe I will make the effort to get it there. My theory is that these cars most likely ran around 10:1 to 11:1 AFR at WOT from the factory with the 780cfm Holley, and that what I am seeing is normal for the application. Back then there wasn't enough care about efficiency. A big carb was bragging rights to help sell cars.

I don't believe that I can easily achieve the ideal WOT AFR without drilling/tapping the air bleeds and PVCR's. Because the jet size changes made very little impact on AFR's, and the settings and operation of the carb are correct, it is a good sign that the carb size and air bleeds are too big to achieve the optimum AFR.

The engine is running fantastic, excellent power, excellent driveability, and smooth transitions between power modes. If it ain't broke don't fix it! If I put forth any more effort it will likely be to find the correct dated 780cfm Holley and install/tune that.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:31 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

As far as what the factory did that extra 30 cfm of air would lean you out more then the 750 you have now which would possibly make it 12.5 .. If your happy that matters a lot more all I was doing is pointing out what I observed by reading through your topic.

Lean is mean . Makes better economy and more power , To get it balanced is a job but it is also fun if your into tinkering ..
Old 02-02-2016, 03:28 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

If jetting doesn't really change the secondary AFR. You have several factors other than air bleeds.

Air flow through the booster adds the fuel. Straight leg holley booster have always been the worst. I'm also for totally chokeless carbs, but anyway the problem could be that the choke flapper is impeding direct air flow to the booster.

I'd wire it vertical and retest first. Then I would look into installing annual flow boosters. Which # 4 on these charts. I have something modded to like #3 in my 830 demon

Old 02-04-2016, 08:21 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

As far as what the factory did that extra 30 cfm of air would lean you out more then the 750 you have now which would possibly make it 12.5 .. If your happy that matters a lot more all I was doing is pointing out what I observed by reading through your topic.

Lean is mean . Makes better economy and more power , To get it balanced is a job but it is also fun if your into tinkering ..
I never really thought about a leaner AFR with a larger CFM carb, but that makes sense. Similar to installing a larger throttle body or intake manifold on today's LS engines, it will typically make them run a little leaner. But, this is assuming the jet size and fuel supply don't increase.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:46 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

That is what makes forums like this cool .. We can all share what we know or think and figure crap out ..
Old 02-04-2016, 07:13 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

That is what makes forums like this cool .. We can all share what we know or think and figure crap out ..
As long as some so-called engineer doesn't show up to tell us how wrong we all are.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by claysmoker
As long as some so-called engineer doesn't show up to tell us how wrong we all are.
That is still OK because then we got someone who can educate us further
Old 02-06-2016, 10:14 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

If the rear PV's are plugged then keep dropping the jet size until you get where you want to be.

It can take up to 10 jet sizes to make a full point change in AFR

The type of booster and the size of the high speed air bleed are critical in determining the required jet size, its not a one size fits all combo situation.

Neal

Neal
Old 02-08-2016, 09:27 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
If the rear PV's are plugged then keep dropping the jet size until you get where you want to be.

It can take up to 10 jet sizes to make a full point change in AFR

The type of booster and the size of the high speed air bleed are critical in determining the required jet size, its not a one size fits all combo situation.

Neal

Neal
This is what I learned through this process. The air bleeds and power valve channel restrictors also play a role in how much fuel gets through the jets. It's not just the jets. Larger air bleeds = less fuel. QFT carbs (Holley clone), have interchangeable air bleeds. If I were to purchase a carb, I would highly consider a QFT so that I can really dial in the AFR's.

Last edited by n8dogg; 02-08-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:03 AM
claysmoker
Race Director

This is what I learned through this process. The air bleeds and power valve channel restrictors also play a role in how much fuel gets through the jets. It's not just the jets. Larger air bleeds = more fuel. QFT carbs (Holley clone), have interchangeable air bleeds. If I were to purchase a carb, I would highly consider a QFT so that I can really dial in the AFR's.
You have it backwards. Larger air bleeds mean more air introduced into the circuit, therefore less fuel. In other words, if you enlarge the idle air bleeds, it will lean the idle. Same with the high speed.

Almost all the newer Holley, QF, AED, carbs have adjustable everything!

Get notified of new replies

To Holley 4150 rich at WOT, what jet sizes?

Old 02-08-2016, 11:13 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by claysmoker
You have it backwards. Larger air bleeds mean more air introduced into the circuit, therefore less fuel. In other words, if you enlarge the idle air bleeds, it will lean the idle. Same with the high speed.

Almost all the newer Holley, QF, AED, carbs have adjustable everything!
Sorry about that, you are right. I will edit my post so no one gets confused!
Old 02-08-2016, 01:44 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Sorry about that, you are right. I will edit my post so no one gets confused!
Hey, no big deal.

If you want some additional carb info, there is a lot of reading in the engine section of Speedtalk and also tech section on Yellowbullet. Search for posts by jmarkaudio and yeti.

If you want to read some interesting general threads, try the Advanced Engine Tech section on Speedtalk. There are some serious big brains in that place.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:13 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I suggest reading this article in its entirety: http://www.burtonmachine.com/tech

Quick Reply: Holley 4150 rich at WOT, what jet sizes?