C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a pain in the ass...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:22 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What a pain in the ***...

What a pain in the *** it is to degrease and clean chassis parts on a car that is on jackstands in a garage!!! Nasty I tell you... nasty. Spray on the degreaser... get out the wire brush, bring in the hose and hose it down... break out the push broom and the mop and push the water out of the garage floor... wait until it dries... repeat...
Old 10-02-2015, 10:32 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Speaking of nasty...I use tons of brake cleaner as a degreaser. And wipe up with rags. Just don't breath the fumes...or get it on paint
Old 10-02-2015, 12:21 PM
CV62Air
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is the solution! and a pressure washer. This lift has paid for itself already, i've had it for a year and a half.

Absolutely love this lift.

From Greg Smith Equipment, portable, uses 110v.
The following users liked this post:
cardo0 (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Tell me about it....I did atleast do the job outside and on top of a piece of scrap carpet that just got trashed when I was finished. No pics of me during the process...I wore dive goggles and elbow length green rubber gloves, I was covered head to toe with grease. I did find a trick that worked pretty good...Notice the toilet brush adapted to fit into a drill....?

Brian
Old 10-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jgcable
What a pain in the *** it is to degrease and clean chassis parts on a car that is on jackstands in a garage!!! Nasty I tell you... nasty. Spray on the degreaser... get out the wire brush, bring in the hose and hose it down... break out the push broom and the mop and push the water out of the garage floor... wait until it dries... repeat...
Have you tried just degreasing at home and then going to a DIY car wash with high pressure spray wands? I like it.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:24 PM
jgcable
Racer

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Have you tried just degreasing at home and then going to a DIY car wash with high pressure spray wands? I like it.

My car is in the garage on jackstands. The entire front suspension and steering is out of it. It ain't going nowhere!! Not even my driveway. Its in my garage to say until I get it all cleaned up, the parts rebuilt and everything painted and reinstalled!
Old 10-02-2015, 02:25 PM
jgcable
Racer

Originally Posted by CV62Air
Here is the solution! and a pressure washer. This lift has paid for itself already, i've had it for a year and a half.

That's an awesome lift. I priced them out but that's over my pay scale.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:42 PM
CV62Air
Racer

The portability is its best feature, plus lots of access to everything. I have had the trans out, the diff out, trailing arms off, entire exhaust off, steering components, scraped , scrubbed, and pressure washed the under side, replaced battery mounts rivets and more.

And got a lot of new bumps and scars on my scalp! Trick is wear your ball cap backwards-the visor inconveniently blocks your view of too many hazards!

It is cheaper than getting a 4-post with rolling/trolley jacks. I keep mine outside under cover, so it doesnt take up space in the garage. And I got a 10x20 portable garage/canopy from Tractor supply if I need to work outside in rain or hot sun. I can lift my truck, tractor, little hondas, the C3, etc. get the sirius radio on 70s on 7 and it is just like growing up working after school, weekends and summers with my dad at my uncle's small repair shop and used car lot! Except, I need somebody to hold the light for me, fetch tools, and clean up!!! LOL!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The portability is its best feature, plus lots of access to everything. I have had the trans out, the diff out, trailing arms off, entire exhaust off, steering components, scraped , scrubbed, and pressure washed the under side, replaced battery mounts rivets and more.

And got a lot of new bumps and scars on my scalp! Trick is wear your ball cap backwards-the visor inconveniently blocks your view of too many hazards!

It is cheaper than getting a 4-post with rolling/trolley jacks. I keep mine outside under cover, so it doesnt take up space in the garage. And I got a 10x20 portable garage/canopy from Tractor supply if I need to work outside in rain or hot sun. I can lift my truck, tractor, little hondas, the C3, etc. get the sirius radio on 70s on 7 and it is just like growing up working after school, weekends and summers with my dad at my uncle's small repair shop and used car lot! Except, I need somebody to hold the light for me, fetch tools, and clean up!!! LOL!

Thanks for posting pics of your lift. I never knew those existed and had been thinking abut buying a different type since I can't fit a four post in the garage. I like the pallet jack type portability best of all.

I can see one of those in my future. I may just have to drive to their Portland, OR store and pick one up.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:20 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

You guys are doing it wrong! Give the wire brush.... and the paint bucket... to your wife!!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:34 PM
kjr6306
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How high does this lift go up??
Old 10-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I went as far as getting some disposable chemical coveralls to clean the goop off of the underside of mine. Lacquer thinner, Scotchbrite pads, and a scraper were the only things that would touch my collection of oil and dirt. The pressure washer wouldn't touch the stuff. I feel your pain!
Old 10-02-2015, 10:07 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr6306
How high does this lift go up??
It will lift your car 6 feet up.
For $2,900 I think I would get one I trust a little better.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ma...ngle-Post-Lift
Old 10-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You know, my of my greatest pet peeves is someone saying they know how ya feel. Unless they've worn those pants, they don't know how you "feel".
This said, I know how ya feel, and then some. I did most of what your talking about in my gravel driveway. I then moved into a tent that lasted about as long as the build did.
So yea. I know what 40 year old grease and grime is like...at the end of a paint scraper and wire brush so I can sympathize.
the only difference is it's behind me now, and I really never want to have to do it again. I'm right at two years into my build, and I can tell you what you've been through and are yet to go through in my opinion is the true measure of a man. But when your done......

Old 10-02-2015, 10:27 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I like that lift. Thx for the tip.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:45 PM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Now that i have the car to this stage i just put it up on ramps a few times a year and use the pressure washer
Old 10-02-2015, 10:46 PM
CV62Air
Racer

Originally Posted by oldgto
You guys are doing it wrong! Give the wire brush.... and the paint bucket... to your wife!!

Now That's love!!! Of course, it will require supervision. She might miss a spot, LOL!

Get notified of new replies

To What a pain in the ass...

Old 10-02-2015, 11:53 PM
CV62Air
Racer

Originally Posted by havesometo
It will lift your car 6 feet up.
For $2,900 I think I would get one I trust a little better.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ma...ngle-Post-Lift
The bottom of the lift will leave 6 ft 4 in of clearance, so if you are shorter than 6'4", you won't hit your head on the lift. It comes with different size spacers/adapters for the lifting pads. Depending which adapters you use, the lifting points will be about 3-1/2 (none) to 9-1/2 (both) inches higher.

It is about 1970 lbs. pretty stout and sturdy. That being said, I am extremely cautious with it and use lift stands in at least 2 spots, and another under the far end of the lifting arm. Then you can hammer, yank, pull, hang, and get physical with any parts you want without worrying about the car falling off the lift.

You have to assemble it. Mine came with the carrier, cylinder and 3 row double link chain installed in the vertical column. I used my tractor's loader bucket, 2 old tires, and 2 - 6300lb ratchet straps, to lift and erect the vertical column and set it on top of the base. That was the scary part, the kubota could just get it high enough to slip a dolly under it and slide it into place. I was pretty nervous getting the bolts started. Carefully torqued all to spec. Then continued with the rest of the assembly, which was much easier. I was able to use the lift about 2-1/2 hours after I started unpacking it.

I was impressed with the overall quality of the paint and powder coating, the quality of the welds and the predrilled and pretapped holes were all fine and aligned perfectly. I got a tap from Tractor Supply to chase all the threads first as recommended, but they were all fine from the start. I sprayed the whole thing with some corrosion inhibitor, since I knew it will be spending a lot of time outside.

I was going to spend about $3600 for a nice 4-post with trolley jacks, and thought about an asymetric 2- post for about $2400. But after seeing them at the showroom(in Delaware) I was sold on the single post model. And they had some scratch and dent deals on a big red toolbox and a sandblast cabinet, made it all a deal I could not resist. Actually, the price went up since I got mine. was $2795. No sales tax in Delaware, either! picked it up with my truck and $17.40 u-haul trailer rental. They loaded onto the trailer for me and I unloaded with my tractor.

It is too tall to get into my garage because of the door height. But I have a plan for that in the future.

Bottom-line, it was the best solution for my needs. I would buy it again and highly recommend it.

Update-- although I got mine at Greg Smith Equipment, it actually looks like this one with all four arms that pivot. And it is cheaper here.....

https://www.eagleequip.com/product/MobileMan.html
Old 10-03-2015, 12:41 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Awesome. Just curious how to move it to another garage/location? Can u move it/transport it w/o dissembly?

Thx again.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:56 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

i thought i was the only one wearing a plastic bag over my head and spraying purple cleaner and holding my breath....

and then

proceeding to soak ,myself in water

Quick Reply: What a pain in the ass...