C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping from engine area in reverse only under load

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 05:51 PM
IDPaul
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping from engine area in reverse only under load

I noted a high pitch chirping from the engine area when auto trans is in reverse. No noise until I put it under load. No noise in neutral of forward gears. Any ideas?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You have to be more precise in where the noise is coming form by using a rubber hose to your ear and listening. Becasue you did not write that you have to be moving in reverse...under a load.

I can start rattling off possible things it can be...but...it would be easier if you centralized the noise..

DUB
Old 10-05-2015, 12:58 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by IDPaul
I noted a high pitch chirping from the engine area when auto trans is in reverse. No noise until I put it under load. No noise in neutral of forward gears. Any ideas?

It sounds like you have a broken right-side motor mount that is allowing the engine to lift up which is causing the fan to hit the inside of the shroud. With your hood open and the transmission in REVERSE give it some throttle and observe the engine.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
It sounds like you have a broken right-side motor mount that is allowing the engine to lift up which is causing the fan to hit the inside of the shroud. With your hood open and the transmission in REVERSE give it some throttle and observe the engine.

DUB
Old 10-06-2015, 11:13 PM
IDPaul
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked that out and it was a negative. Watched the torque and put it on my lift and could see nothing wrong with the mount. It has stopped now and I am watching. Will advise if I come up with something????

Last edited by IDPaul; 10-06-2015 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Chirping from engine area in reverse only under load

Quick Reply: Chirping from engine area in reverse only under load