C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake fluid heating up

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Devin Yarbrough
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake fluid heating up

When I got my 76 vett the brakes went almost to the floor before they would engage but they still worked, now when you start it up you still have the soft pedal but it works until you drive it for about 2 miles then they completely go out, Avon opening the hood I discovered that my master cylinder was way to hot to even attempt to touch so I replaced the master cylinder checked all the brakes and nothing appears to be rubbing (that I could see) I've flushed and bled the system over and over. No lines are resting on anything that will get it too hot. I just don't understand what's going on here so if anyone has experience with this kind of problem please help.... oh and if I leave it in park with the engine on it doesn't heat up the brake fluid or master at all, only when it's in drive and once the brakes go out you can faintly here a scrape from one of the passenger side wheels but I couldn't find any scraping.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default Brakes

I will take a stab at your problem. Either something is sticking or is not adjusted correctly. When this happens can you feel each caliper to see if they are all hot. Could be a clogged rubber line or lines at each wheel or your calipers may need rebuilding. The rubber lines may look OK from the outside but could be clogged on the inside. Fluid can enter the caliper and not get out. Also a few pistons may be sticking in the bore in each caliper. Lastly, the slight drag you are feeling may be a M/C rod set incorrectly. As you drive, things heat up and expand and create drag. Lastly, if you are loosing your pedal, consider measuring the run out on each rotor. If it is over .005, you are pumping air into the system. Good luck. Jerry
Old 10-05-2015, 11:37 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Have you replaced the [rubber] flex lines that connect the calipers to the brake lines? If not, they are probably 'toast' [internally] and are blocking brake fluid flow to the calipers. That is potentially a dangerous situation, as the calipers can become partially applied while driving. They can severely overheat (sounds like your problem) and eventually catch a tire on fire!!

If you haven't replaced them all, please do!!
Old 10-05-2015, 12:22 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

We do Vette repair as a side business. People neglect ever changing the brake fluid. In the past year I have had to replace all the hard lines on two vettes because they were rusted clogged from the inside. Holding one or more calipers clamped down on the rotor

If the vette is from a wet climate it is a common problem.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:45 PM
crisko
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default brake fluid heating up

Just had this problem after installing a new master cyl. Had to adjust power booster rod.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Devin Yarbrough
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks yall I'll try everything this week and post results
Old 10-06-2015, 07:34 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Like the members said: The fastest repair would be to shorten the rod between the master cylinder and the power brake booster by one or two turns....then drive around in an empty parking lot to see if the problem is solved.

Then check to see if one caliper is much hotter than the others.

Next would be to replace the rubber brake lines at each caliper and bleed all the overheated fluid out of the brake lines

Get notified of new replies

To brake fluid heating up

Quick Reply: brake fluid heating up