C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which camshaft to purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Which camshaft to purchase.

Friend has a 80' Vette with the stock L48 motor and carb with the only upgrade being headers and wants to add a bit more hp by way of a camshaft only. I believe the stock hp was 180 and he wanted a but more hp by swapping it to the 460 lift cam.

I'm not that knowledgeable on today's camshafts availability so what would those that have done this upgrade recommend for an increase of about 30 to 40hp? Is that a bit to much hp increase to ask for in a cam only upgrade?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

I am sure others will chime in and tell you that the time and money would be better spent on replacing the heads. Do a search for vortec heads here you will see the tech needed to make them work and recommendations for other heads.
The following users liked this post:
Maymyvetteliveforevr (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 11:21 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Friend has a 80' Vette with the stock L48 motor and carb with the only upgrade being headers and wants to add a bit more hp by way of a camshaft only. I believe the stock hp was 180 and he wanted a but more hp by swapping it to the 460 lift cam.

I'm not that knowledgeable on today's camshafts availability so what would those that have done this upgrade recommend for an increase of about 30 to 40hp? Is that a bit to much hp increase to ask for in a cam only upgrade?
You could get close to that with a roller cam upgrade. The biggest issue with the L48 power potential and performance is head flow, compression and the 3.07 rear end. This upgrade requires new springs, pushrods, lifters. cam, cam button. To avoid having to cut the spring pockets you need to keep spring size down to about 1.25. This kit will work and maintain decent cylinder pressure and throttle response needed with the compression and differential gearing. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet

This would be better midrange and top end but requires cutting the spring pockets or beehive springs. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet

a flat tappet cam only will get you very little noticeable performance upgrade.

Last edited by 63mako; 10-05-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:24 AM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Converting to a hyd roller will give you more power under the curve along with reliability and endurance. Well worth the money in the long run.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...add a bit more hp by way of a camshaft only...
He could use the stock L-82 camshaft.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
I am sure others will chime in and tell you that the time and money would be better spent on replacing the heads.
We believe that the lobes on the camshaft maybe worn due to it being the original camshaft, therefore doing the cam and heads is way out of budget.

Originally Posted by 63mako
You could get close to that with a roller cam upgrade. This upgrade requires new springs, pushrods, lifters. cam, cam button. To avoid having to cut the spring pockets you need to keep spring size down to about 1.25. This kit will work and maintain decent cylinder pressure and throttle response needed with the compression and differential gearing.
Thanks for the reply but this would be about 4 times the budget and no feesable.

Originally Posted by StraubTech
Converting to a hyd roller will give you more power under the curve along with reliability and endurance. Well worth the money in the long run.
Unfortunately over budget since the cam also will be replaced.

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Thanks Mike, any idea what the brand and model of cam it would be so I can see about sourcing one. I'm going to take a guess that the average cam - gasket set would be around $250.00?

Just to emphasis, I did mention in my original post "Cam Only".
Old 10-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

We believe that the lobes on the camshaft maybe worn due to it being the original camshaft, therefore doing the cam and heads is way out of budget.

Thanks for the reply but this would be about 4 times the budget and no feesable.

Unfortunately over budget since the cam also will be replaced.

Thanks Mike, any idea what the brand and model of cam it would be so I can see about sourcing one. I'm going to take a guess that the average cam - gasket set would be around $250.00?

Just to emphasis, I did mention in my original post "Cam Only".
You did mention cam only but didnt specify why and without the why there are much better upgrades.

if it were me on a tight budget I would save and find a running roller cam 350 then swap the intake.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:59 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Imo the owner should save a little more and do a head upgrade at the same time. I understand budget's, but you can get a decent set of heads at a pretty fair price with some good shopping. But to answer the question with stock heads and intake the xe256h would probably be my choice ecspecially given the budget and not being able to change the gears and stall converter to match the camshaft. Scroggin dickey performance has vortec heads for a fair price.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:19 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
The stock L82 cam is a solid piece in the right build. Unfortunately it was originally the L46 cam and was designed for a 11 to 1 iron head motor. Put it on a 8.5 to 1 engine and in front of a 3.07 gear ratio it is a disappointing combination with a net loss in performance. If the only option you have is a flat tappet camshaft replacement change springs to match the cam specs, new lifters are required and upgrade to at least some new stock style rocker arms.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hr...make/chevrolet

If you go this route email me. I have a set of takeoff springs for it cheap.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:30 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

DO NOT think this is just a "drop a new cam" in it and button it up with new gaskets. ANY cam swap will require springs, lifters, cam, and gaskets minimum. Long slot rockers should be used for a higher lift cam. You will likely find the timing gear is shot. By the time you do all this the roller upgrade kit I linked will cost you $3-400 extra with a result of noticeable increase in power throughout the powerband and no worry on wiping a lobe. This is why everyone is pointing you this direction.

Last edited by 63mako; 10-05-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:49 PM
mbarney
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't have the money to go roller when I did my cam swap. Followed comp cams recommendation and went with the xe262h kit. Noticeable improvement but it was close to $300 if I recall but it came with everything springs, lifters timing gear and chain. Good luck
Old 10-05-2015, 06:32 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by mbarney
I didn't have the money to go roller when I did my cam swap. Followed comp cams recommendation and went with the xe262h kit. Noticeable improvement but it was close to $300 if I recall but it came with everything springs, lifters timing gear and chain. Good luck
That would be a decent option. Really need a little better rear gear for it. The cam I listed might be available in a K Kit.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:35 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

What is his budget, will he be doing the work himself or with your help to keep costs as low as possible. The 34% USD premium sure isn't helping.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
You did mention cam only but didnt specify why and without the why there are much better upgrades.
I'm helping my friend remove the trany and engine to replace main seals on both and do other minor work and thought with a budget of say $200.00 we could add a bit more hp by changing the cam since he feels the lobs maybe wearing.

Originally Posted by bluedawg
But to answer the question with stock heads and intake the xe256h would probably be my choice ecspecially given the budget and not being able to change the gears and stall converter to match the camshaft.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give him that advice.

Originally Posted by 63mako
If the only option you have is a flat tappet camshaft replacement change springs to match the cam specs, new lifters are required and upgrade to at least some new stock style rocker arms.
I checked the specs on the cam and it seem a bit too mild, I don't know if that would make a noticeable improvement. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by mbarney
This sounds like a good choice. I found the cam and lifters on Amazon, but couldn't find the package you're referring to.

Comp Cam XE262H Comp Cam XE262H

Originally Posted by gdh
What is his budget, will he be doing the work himself or with your help to keep costs as low as possible. The 34% USD premium sure isn't helping.
For the horsepower increase his budget is around $200.00 U.S. (parts only) and I'm helping him with the install so labour is free.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 10-05-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:56 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

If you don't have enough to do it properly then recurve the distributor and what does the rest of the exhaust look like after the headers?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:02 PM
rdroket
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Horsepower is not on a budget...
Old 10-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 96 lt-4
If you don't have enough to do it properly then recurve the distributor and what does the rest of the exhaust look like after the headers?
Exhaust is headers and sidepipes.

Get notified of new replies

To Which camshaft to purchase.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:05 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

At $200 ($150 US) you are definitely looking at a hydraulic flat tappet cam. I always liked the Comp Cam XE 268 but with the stock l48 heads I doubt you would see any real benefit, maybe even slide a bit backwards.
Maymyvetteliveforevr (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 01:07 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

If he is really adamant about doing this, and staying under $200, the Summit Kit is likely the only way.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1103/overview/

with

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-174001

and

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2660/overview/

choose a cheap one of these

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...rder=Ascending

Puts you at about $210 plus tax.

The smaller 1102 kit MAY be a better bet with that motor, and you might not need to mess with valve springs. But, I will let someone else comment on that.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1102
Maymyvetteliveforevr (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gdh
At $200 ($150 US) you are definitely looking at a hydraulic flat tappet cam. I always liked the Comp Cam XE 268 but with the stock l48 heads I doubt you would see any real benefit, maybe even slide a bit backwards.
As per post 14 I had the budget set at $200.00 U.S. I going over there today to help him and will try to convince him to increase the budget

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
If he is really adamant about doing this, and staying under $200, the Summit Kit is likely the only way.
Thanks for the info, I'm sort of leaning towards the xe262h kit.

Quick Reply: Which camshaft to purchase.