C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH 400 question

Old 10-05-2015, 04:35 PM
clwi
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default TH 400 question

When i put my car in reverse it really slams...
It feels like a large play somewere and there is a delay before reverse kicks in when car is hot..
Modulator issue or/and bad bushings somewere.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,068 Posts

If it's only when the trans is hot I'd be tempted to say it's leaking between the clutch plates. When it warms up the fluid is thinner and it can leak where when it's cold it doesn't.

That said, is the fluid level up all the way? Checked when hot, in Neutral after running it through the gears a few times. (rev neutral drive neutral rev neutral then check)

If the fluid bright red or darker (clutches wearing)?

Does it smell burnt at all?

When was the fluid / filter changed last?

Not sure if there are many th400 service places over there, but I'd check the fluid level, if it's ok, I'd do a filter/fluid change and add some Lucas to help the seals.

Just my $.02
M
Old 10-05-2015, 06:00 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the same problem with a '74 TH400. It evolved into a full-blown rebuild. Forward clutch was smoked. The reverse thing was the first symptom, then after a while it would not shift into 3rd. Hope that isn't what you get.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:00 PM
CWyler
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mooser
Not sure if there are many th400 service places over there
M
I agree with most of what Mooser says, but just so you know, the TH400 is a relatively easy/straight forward rebuild that can be done by a non-professional. Buy a nice kit off Summit or something and get into the trans itself, its more intimidating sounding than it actually is.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:05 PM
clwi
Racer

Originally Posted by Mooser
If it's only when the trans is hot I'd be tempted to say it's leaking between the clutch plates. When it warms up the fluid is thinner and it can leak where when it's cold it doesn't.

That said, is the fluid level up all the way? Checked when hot, in Neutral after running it through the gears a few times. (rev neutral drive neutral rev neutral then check)

If the fluid bright red or darker (clutches wearing)?

Does it smell burnt at all?

When was the fluid / filter changed last?

Not sure if there are many th400 service places over there, but I'd check the fluid level, if it's ok, I'd do a filter/fluid change and add some Lucas to help the seals.

Just my $.02
M
It slams hot or cold, oil is good and fresh.
Strange thing, it slams in reverse gear a lot heavier than in drive.
Maybe a too large play in driveline, but it should be the same in drive and reverse.....
Old 10-05-2015, 06:13 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Reverse has a higher line pressure, that is probably normal for the symptoms you're having.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLTED
Reverse has a higher line pressure, that is probably normal for the symptoms you're having.

Rev. has higher pressure and less cushion.
Is the idle maybe a little high?
Low vacuum at idle can cause harder into gear shift but not usually that bad.
If there is clunking noise, check the nose mount on the diff (easy to see) and the rear trans mount (harder to tell)
M
Old 10-06-2015, 03:07 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Do you have your idle speed set higher than stock setting? The higher the idle speed, the more power put through the converter and the more torque is passed through the system. Also, there are rubber 'snubbers' on the differential that try to minimize that 'shift shock'. They may be deteriorated and not doing their job.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:01 PM
clwi
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Do you have your idle speed set higher than stock setting? The higher the idle speed, the more power put through the converter and the more torque is passed through the system. Also, there are rubber 'snubbers' on the differential that try to minimize that 'shift shock'. They may be deteriorated and not doing their job.
That was my first thought, large play and worn bushings, i will check in to this. There is also a delay before reverse kicks in when i put it to revers, maybe a modulator problem?
Old 10-06-2015, 05:05 PM
lurch59
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

When was the transmission serviced last? How does the transmission fluid look compared to new? If you decide to service the trans, do a complete drain and use a good quality fluid and skip the additives.....
Old 10-07-2015, 12:58 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

As seals and valves wear in an automatic tranny, internal leakages increase and time for clutches to engage increase because of that leakage. So, it may take a second (or less) for a clutch to engage when the shifter is relocated. But, that doesn't mean that the transmission has lost function. It's just not as good as it used to be.

See about lowering the idle speed. That will make the quickest improvement in 'shift shock' that is presently available to you.

Do you know if that trans has been modified with an aftermarket shift 'improvement' product? Those can have a pronounced effect on shift quality.

Get notified of new replies

To TH 400 question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TH 400 question