C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Climate Control Problem

I waited months to replace the carpeted trim panels on either side of my console as every time I'd done it before something would almost immediately malfunction and require their removal.

Two days after I replaced them the climate control refused to change mode! Air always comes from the floor location no matter the setting.

'79 with A/C

I disconnected the system vacuum connection near the distributor and just a few squeezes of the Mityvac and I had a deep vacuum that held for hours with the selector lever at "Off". I had a helper move the selector lever as I watched the vacuum gauge--no movement whatsoever in the needle at any setting.

The lever always moved easily but it seems to be moving even easier but there you still feel the detent at each position.

Am I correct that the vacuum mode selector switch and/or the linkage to it are the almost certain culprits?

Does anyone else hate replacing those trim panels because doing so seems to bring on a curse?
Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Most issues wiht vacuum diversion are directly linked to the vacuum select switch. I'd look at the select switch and see if possibly the nipple that rides in the arm is broken off.

Willcox
Old 11-03-2015, 04:07 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

One of the screws retaining the vacuum select switch had fallen out due to stripped threads so the select lever was no longer moving it. The vacuum switch also had slight vacuum leaks in some positions.

Willcox: I had already ordered your replacement "modified to work and seal" vacuum switch so installed it. Sorry to report this, but while testing the system with my hand vacuum pump it completely failed and would not hold vacuum at any position. I then disassembled my original switch, added some silicon grease and it now holds vacuum perfectly even while switching positions.

Get notified of new replies

To Climate Control Problem

Quick Reply: Climate Control Problem