C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'76 Lights Manual Override

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:16 PM
Dreidel13
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '76 Lights Manual Override

Hey guys!
I have a '76 Stingray. My lights won't come up. I am fairly certain it is the switch just under the dash. My vacuum system has always worked flawless but one morning I got in and had no resistance when pulling the switch. Lights turn on but vacuum doesn't.
Big date on Friday and no time to get a new switch.

HOW DO I POP THE LIGHTS UP MANUALLY AND HAVE THEM STAY?
OR OVERRIDE THE SWITCH AND HAVE VACUUM SYSTEM TURN ON?

No propping with screwdrivers... That is not a solution and I don't want to disconnect things and mess up the seals and everything because I want it all working when I put the new switch in.
I know this has been talked about a lot but I keep finding different discussions and am looking for the correct answer for my specific situation.
Thanks!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You can push the headlights UP from under the car.
Then when you have time you can find and fix the problem.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tem-works.html
Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

The headlights previously popped up when you turned on the headlights as they should, and now they don't? And the manual override under the dash also doesn't make them come up? Or have you always been pulling the manual override to get your lights up?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:10 AM
Dreidel13
6th Gear

I have always pulled the regular headlight switch and they have always worked flawlessly.
Pushing the lights up does not work. You can push them up when the vehicle is off but as soon as you start the car they snap back down because the system is still thinking the lights are off.
I haven't tried the manual override. Under the dash you say?

QUOTE=65GGvert;1590643043]The headlights previously popped up when you turned on the headlights as they should, and now they don't? And the manual override under the dash also doesn't make them come up? Or have you always been pulling the manual override to get your lights up?[/QUOTE]
Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dreidel13
I have always pulled the regular headlight switch and they have always worked flawlessly.
Pushing the lights up does not work. You can push them up when the vehicle is off but as soon as you start the car they snap back down because the system is still thinking the lights are off.
I haven't tried the manual override. Under the dash you say?

QUOTE=65GGvert;1590643043]The headlights previously popped up when you turned on the headlights as they should, and now they don't? And the manual override under the dash also doesn't make them come up? Or have you always been pulling the manual override to get your lights up?
[/QUOTE]

The manual override (vacuum) **** is under the steering column on the bottom of the dash, small shaft with a rubber ****. You pull it down and the lights will pop up without being on. If vacuum is your problem, that won't work either.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Dreidel13
6th Gear

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home. Like I said in my original post vacuum is not the problem. It is in the switch.

The manual override (vacuum) **** is under the steering column on the bottom of the dash, small shaft with a rubber ****. You pull it down and the lights will pop up without being on. If vacuum is your problem, that won't work either.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-07-2015, 12:14 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home. Like I said in my original post vacuum is not the problem. It is in the switch.

The manual override (vacuum) **** is under the steering column on the bottom of the dash, small shaft with a rubber ****. You pull it down and the lights will pop up without being on. If vacuum is your problem, that won't work either.
[/QUOTE]

The engine must be running for the headlight override to work.

There's also a combination electric/vacuum relay that sends vacuum to the light assy's when you turn on the lights. Look at Willcox's repair tab on their website. There's a troubleshooting guide with pictures to narrow it down.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 10-07-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Pushing the lights up does not work. You can push them up when the vehicle is off but as soon as you start the car they snap back down because the system is still thinking the lights are off.]

On the side of the headlight switch there is a 'tab' that opens or closes the 'vacuum switch'.
It sounds like the tab has broken and not allowing the vacuum switch to move to the 'up' position.
Scroll down on this link to trouble shoot the vacuum switch:

http://www.corvette-101.com/vacuum.htm

Last edited by Peterbuilt; 10-07-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi D,
IF you end up having to open the headlight manually be careful when you reach under there that you don't grab the headlight warning switch. There's one for each door and are made of plastic so are quite easy to break.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Here's the headlight override switch and the blue striped hose that runs from the front port on the headlight switch to the bottom port on the override switch.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Dreidel13
6th Gear

Got it! The override was what I needed. They popped right up.
I'll be getting into the headlight switch eventually. Looks like a dangerous adventure on an old car.
Thanks for the info. I'll be back for sure.

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi D,
IF you end up having to open the headlight manually be careful when you reach under there that you don't grab the headlight warning switch. There's one for each door and are made of plastic so are quite easy to break.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Here's the headlight override switch and the blue striped hose that runs from the front port on the headlight switch to the bottom port on the override switch.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Big date on Friday...
So how did the big date go?
Old 10-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Dreidel13
6th Gear

Haha. Thanks for asking! I probably should have clarified that it was actually with my fiancé which means every date is fantastic! But we went to an awesome black tie event and looked pretty fancy getting out of my corvette me in my penguin suit and her sexy ball gown. A wonderful night. And the lights were even on.

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
So how did the big date go?
Old 10-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,393 Posts

I just replaced my headlight switch, it took about and hour, nothing difficult, just take your time and go slow.

Here is the switch replacement how-to:
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...-installation/

And a very helpful bit of information that I seldom see mentioned... The secret to getting the headlight **** to release is to pull the headlight **** to the ON position, than push in the release button on the switch and pull the **** the rest of the way out.
The following users liked this post:
Peterbuilt (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Good advise from Iceaxe!
All I can ad is don't mix up the vacuum hoses or it still won't work.

Get notified of new replies

To '76 Lights Manual Override

Quick Reply: '76 Lights Manual Override