C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Edge Repair Question

Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Door Edge Repair Question

The entire car is going to be stripped and painted from scratch. The Driver's Door edge has chipped fiberglass damage.

My question is: What's the best repair material/method to use on this highly-susceptible-to-damage area?

Thanks in advance.
Steve
Old 10-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Steve,
I would describe that damage as being caused by someone not being at all careful, (careless), when they opened their door… not because it's 'susceptible' to damage. You have to hit the door into something pretty hard (and sharp) to damage more than the paint on that edge.
That repair needs to begin by having the paint completely removed on the outside AND jamb side so the extent of the damage can be seen and so that you can be sure there's not the beginning of any de-lamination.
I'd then cut some fiberglass mat into very short strands about (3/8" long) and use that cut fiberglass with resin to restore the fiberglass to it's original contour.
The repair's surface will extend considerably beyond the current damage because you'll need to create a tapered surface for the mat to bond to. You could likely end up with a repair that extends about an 1 1/2"- 2" beyond the damage.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-08-2015, 11:38 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Grind back at an angle. Build it up with resin & mat. Mine had damage to the front edge.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Thank you folks. Much appreciated!

Steve
Old 10-08-2015, 04:06 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Grind back at an angle. Build it up with resin & mat. Mine had damage to the front edge.

Zwede, I will be doing that to my 69 restore soon. All of your work was done on the exterior side with card board backing? Then you peeled off the stuck card board. Would that be correct. The seams came out great. Oh did you do anything to the under side.
Thank You
ZIO
Old 10-08-2015, 06:10 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Bondo spreaders were taped on the back as fiberglass won't stick to them. That leaves a fairly smooth surface on the back. A little sanding with 80 grit finished off the back.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

For what it is worth.

The photo's of the chipped up edges of the door do not require resin and fiberglass. YES...if a person wants to do it...go right ahead. The damage is NOT that severe to go through all that extra work.

But I can HONESTLY STATE that Vette Panel Adhesive in this area will repair it and make it solid. The edge of the door shown is not needing to be built out.

YES..I DO build out edges of doors when they have been butchered and damaged like 'zwede' has shown in his photo's. And how I build the edges out all depends on the level of damage.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Door Edge Repair Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Edge Repair Question