C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up a T56 to swap into my '79

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 05:34 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bmans vette
Hey ATL

Some misinformation being passed onto you here.

Take a real close look at that pin (3" rod) that is mounted next to the collar on the input shaft. It looks like someone modified the front of the transmission and bolted this pin in place. That pin is what steadies the hydraulic throwout bearing (TOB). See that? I have never seen that mod before.
That is how you do it on a T56. It doesn't have a retainer in the front like a T5/T10, saginaw, etc.

As to whether this is a LS1 or LT1 trans....depends upon the input shaft length. But it could have been modified if it was an LT1.
It's an LT1 T56. The front plate is different on both i.e, the part that bracket is bolted to that holds the stud for the TOB, that is at a completely different angle and spot on the LS1 version. Also the input shaft is an LT1 style, you can tell by the nose for the pilot bearing.

To use it with a 2pc RMS block you can adapt the existing bellhousing or go with an aftermarket bellhousing like I did. Quicktime makes a scattershield #6023 designed just for this modification. That way you can use a hydraulic TOB, and any flywheel/clutch setup that fits the original 2pc RMS engine.
Isn't that part# only for an LS1 version ? I assumed due to the length of the input shaft, you'd need a special stepped pilot bushing if you use it with a LT1 T56.

-- Joe
Old 10-11-2015, 05:59 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by anesthes
That is how you do it on a T56. It doesn't have a retainer in the front like a T5/T10, saginaw, etc.

True but only for the hydraulic TOB version not for the LT1 version that uses a clutch fork/ball setup.

It's an LT1 T56. The front plate is different on both i.e, the part that bracket is bolted to that holds the stud for the TOB, that is at a completely different angle and spot on the LS1 version. Also the input shaft is an LT1 style, you can tell by the nose for the pilot bearing.

But the LT1 does not use a hydraulic TOB like the one shown in the beginning pics. It uses an external slave cylinder that actuates the clutch fork. That is why I said someone modified an LT1 to work with an LS1 TOB setup.

Isn't that part# only for an LS1 version ? I assumed due to the length of the input shaft, you'd need a special stepped pilot bushing if you use it with a LT1 T56.

-- Joe
The QT # is for the LS1 version but mates up to a 2pc RMS SBC. It is a one use type scattershield which is why it sells for $500-600. I found one for $450 new. You do use a pilot bushing to match the LS1 input shaft.
Good questions/points.
And even more reason for the OP to do his homework as he progresses with this project.

Bman
Old 10-11-2015, 08:01 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The QT # is for the LS1 version but mates up to a 2pc RMS SBC. It is a one use type scattershield which is why it sells for $500-600. I found one for $450 new. You do use a pilot bushing to match the LS1 input shaft.
Good questions/points.
And even more reason for the OP to do his homework as he progresses with this project.

Bman
Yep, that's why I responded to his other thread when he said he got a T56.

My recommendation is to use ALL the parts he got (clutch, bellhousing, transmission) and get a new 153 tooth flywheel, and a master cylinder with mount bracket.

He's going to need to fabricate a mount/adapter, as well as driveshaft too.

-- Joe
Old 10-11-2015, 09:26 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I converted my LT1 T56 to a hydraulic throw out bearing.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-s-list-8.html
Old 10-11-2015, 10:32 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Gen 1 block F body T56 I used the GM fluted pilot bushing they are less than $10
Test fit it first on the shaft

Used a parts store bushing and boy was I sorry!

FWIW the fbody GM slave stinks theres such a fine line between disengaging and blowing the seal it isnt even funny. Dont trust mine, been through a few
Use a differrent one if you can
Old 10-12-2015, 12:18 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow, OK, I was offline for a bit and got a lot of great replies. MIKE80 your threads are great, I'll give that one another read.

Take a real close look at that pin (3" rod) that is mounted next to the collar on the input shaft. It looks like someone modified the front of the transmission and bolted this pin in place. That pin is what steadies the hydraulic throwout bearing (TOB). See that? I have never seen that mod before.
Right, here is another photo of that part:

Name:  fOs3lH5.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  1.59 MB

Here's a better photo of the slave. Its a quarter master 721100, a part which sells for $200+ new.
Name:  Bdu0IcU.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  1.06 MB

Next to the pressure plate:
Name:  BhiIc9Q.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  1.13 MB

I assumed due to the length of the input shaft, you'd need a special stepped pilot bushing if you use it with a LT1 T56.
This confuses me. I don't know if I need any special bushings but I'm thinking that since this all came out of a working vehicle, I could put it all together with the custom flywheel and it should function with no other modifications between the trans and engine.

Considering the depth of the LT1 bellhousing vs. the super 10 bellhousing, I'm leaning towards using the LT1 housing and converting the car to hydraulic simply so avoid shortening the driveshaft more than necessary since I heard there may be some angle issues.

I'm not terribly worried about the crossmember and driveshaft piece. Its the hydraulic conversion that concerns me.

You guys said it, I need to do my homework more.

I drove the car again today... feels like a blown bearing in the super 10. Noisy but driveable, just a matter of time before it fails.

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 10-12-2015 at 12:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MIKE80 (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 10:16 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic

This confuses me. I don't know if I need any special bushings but I'm thinking that since this all came out of a working vehicle, I could put it all together with the custom flywheel and it should function with no other modifications between the trans and engine.
That wasn't for you, that was in regards to using a LT1 T56 with the aftermarket scattershield he posted.

YOU have a working transmission and clutch setup. Just buy a bell housing, and a master cylinder with the vette firewall mount. Many threads on it.

I'm not terribly worried about the crossmember and driveshaft piece. Its the hydraulic conversion that concerns me.
Why, that stuff is "bolt on".

Shortening the driveshaft and making a mount is a bit more interesting.

I'd probably cut the old crossmember out, and make a new one out of DOM tubing and some 3/16" plate. Kinda sucks that manual cars had welded in crossmembers.

Then figure $100-200 to have the driveshaft shortened. I think I paid about $125 last time I had it done.

-- Joe
Old 10-12-2015, 11:25 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

YOU have a working transmission and clutch setup. Just buy a bell housing, and a master cylinder with the vette firewall mount. Many threads on it.
I'm leaning towards using the LT1 bell housing/clutch/cylinder with a custom flywheel. What are you suggesting with buying a bell housing?

If you're saying that the hydraulic conversion stuff is bolt-on, that's not what I'm seeing. In my searches, I'm finding custom bracketry and trimmed pedal rods with concern of pushing the master cylinder's piston beyond its designed stopping point.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:11 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by MIKE80
I converted my LT1 T56 to a hydraulic throw out bearing.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-s-list-8.html
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Gen 1 block F body T56 I used the GM fluted pilot bushing they are less than $10
Test fit it first on the shaft

Used a parts store bushing and boy was I sorry!

FWIW the fbody GM slave stinks theres such a fine line between disengaging and blowing the seal it isnt even funny. Dont trust mine, been through a few
Use a differrent one if you can
To ATL

Both of these guys' projects are good examples of what can be done with an LT1 T56.

Some of us started with just the trans and went all out on beefing it up and using a scattershield as opposed to an aluminum bellhousing.
Again...it all depends upon your choice of direction and budget.
Good luck with your project.
Keep posting as you progress.

Btw...many guys have cut out the fixed crossmember and just made adapter plates to make it into a bolt-in type. Or.... You can also buy an aftermarket one from some of the suppliers that make the T56 conversion kit.

Bman
Old 10-12-2015, 06:32 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Response from Rockland Standard Gear when I asked about their LT1/LS1 kit that converts the LT1 T56 to the LS1 style:

Pricing for the LT1/LS1 kit is $498.95 plus an additional $50.00 deposit until we get your old adapter plate back. The kit will include everything but a bellhousing.
If need you one we do stock an alum bell for $286.47

This kit will only work for a 2.66 first gear ratio option trans.

Shipping ground to you would be $ 27.50 for the kit, if you also need the bell the total freight would be $52.50 plus a COD fee if paying by check.
We send a prepaid return label to pick up the old adapter.

Let me know

Thanks
Cindy ext. 113
Rockland Standard Gear
I contacted Bowtie regarding their custom crossmember that MIKE80 has, here is the conversation:

My email:
I have a T56 from an LT1 F-body that I'm looking to swap into my '79. It is an original 4-speed car with the solid crossmember. It has 3.36 gears now but will be changed to 4.11 or higher. I saw on a corvette forum that you made a crossmember to bolt a T56 into an '80-'82 vette. Looks great. Do you make a crossmember that I can use to bolt this T56 into my '79?
His response:
Yes we do make that cross member. It sells for $ 225.00 and comes powder coated black with a bolt and mount kit.

Thank You;

Rich Weller
Bowtie Overdrives
760-947-5240
I'm leaning heavily towards using the custom flywheel and bowtie's crossmember. I just need to figure out my parts and everything for the hydraulic conversion. I'll read up on that some more and eventually post back here with my shopping list. I'll have to make sure I include a starter in that shopping list. Bummer since I just put a new starter on this car.

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 10-12-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:23 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm leaning towards using the LT1 bell housing/clutch/cylinder with a custom flywheel. What are you suggesting with buying a bell housing?

If you're saying that the hydraulic conversion stuff is bolt-on, that's not what I'm seeing. In my searches, I'm finding custom bracketry and trimmed pedal rods with concern of pushing the master cylinder's piston beyond its designed stopping point.
Sorry I meant flywheel that I linked earlier. Was in a rush typing.

You use an adjustable rod to the master..
Old 10-16-2015, 06:11 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Regarding the gearing in the rear end, the local driveline shop here that I like and trust quoted me about $775 to regear if I bring in the third member and drop it off. It would be another $280 in labor if I bring in the whole car to have it done.

I was hoping the cost to regear would be under $500 because I thought I saw some gear sets for around $200 but I guess I was wrong.

This same shop did a complete rebuild of that rear end with a refurbished case last year for $1300. They do really good work but are not cheap.

$775 plus some of my time to change from 3.36 to 4.10. I have to think about it a bit. I definitely will want to change that gearing. At least I don't need to worry about it until the trans is in.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:55 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

It has been a couple of months and I haven't ordered any parts. I decided to pull the engine and trans out entirely and work out the mating of the T56 out of the car. It'll be some extra work but I think if I do it in the car it will be too frustrating.

This weekend I cleared out a spot in the garage for the job. I'll put it up on stands and begin the project during my holiday break. I might have the drivetrain out by new years:

Name:  wrdQKL0.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  3.23 MB

I might end up doing some engine work while I have it all out. A head/cam swap is mighty tempting, although it already makes pretty good power.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:27 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

If you use the FACTORY LT1 pull style clutch you need a conversion flywheel as the flywheel distance/depth is different.

If you use a PUSH STYLE clutch you can use any 153 tooth flywheel for a 2pc RMS.

If your block however is not tapped for both starters, that will be your next hurdle.

You already have a push style clutch, and hydraulic throwout bearing. so all you need is the correct flywheel for your engine.

Pioneer 153 Tooth Internal Balance Chevy V8 Clutch Flywheel P N FW 147 | eBay

-- Joe
Joe, I don't understand why this is different. I have an LT1 trans that came out of an LT powered car that was converted to a push style clutch. Is it really true that I can use any 153 tooth flywheel for my Gen I SBC?

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 01-11-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:53 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Some progress pics:

Everything disconnected:
Name:  GmaveG5l.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  56.5 KB
Cherry picker from the side because of the long nose
Name:  T6MEgSIl.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  57.2 KB
Something is missing
Name:  nFh05pfl.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  60.7 KB
My buddy pulling the bellhousing off. We decided against pulling the engine and trans as a unit, so glad for that.
Name:  wNEgIt0l.jpg
Size:  59.6 KB
Out with the old. That old 4-speed is tiny!
Name:  f3EUZlml.jpg
Size:  37.9 KB
Old 01-11-2016, 08:29 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Joe, I don't understand why this is different. I have an LT1 trans that came out of an LT powered car that was converted to a push style clutch. Is it really true that I can use any 153 tooth flywheel for my Gen I SBC?
Yes. I'm assuming when you say it was converted to push style, it's using a hydraulic throwout bearing?

-- Joe
Old 01-11-2016, 11:48 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Yes, it was converted to a hydraulic throwout bearing and is a push style. The conversion flywheels are $400+, a standard 153 tooth flywheel is under $200, so if I can use the standard non-conversion flywheel I'm all over it. I just don't understand why. It seems like I'm missing something. Using a non-conversion flywheel (I think) moves the entire clutch assembly further back towards the transmission, so there may be clearance issues with the bearing?

Maybe I need to get it all mocked up and do some measurements so I can understand it better... but if you or anyone can help explain it I'm all ears and very much appreciate it.

I may be confusing what I read about the LS1 vs LT1 engines. Something I read said that the flywheel mounting point protrudes further towards the rear of the car on the original SBC than it does on the newer engine, that might have been LS, though. I'll have to find that reference again.

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 01-11-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Just picked up a T56 to swap into my '79

Old 01-11-2016, 12:52 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, it was converted to a hydraulic throwout bearing and is a push style. The conversion flywheels are $400+, a standard 153 tooth flywheel is under $200, so if I can use the standard non-conversion flywheel I'm all over it. I just don't understand why. It seems like I'm missing something. Using a non-conversion flywheel (I think) moves the entire clutch assembly further back towards the transmission, so there may be clearance issues with the bearing?

Maybe I need to get it all mocked up and do some measurements so I can understand it better... but if you or anyone can help explain it I'm all ears and very much appreciate it.

I may be confusing what I read about the LS1 vs LT1 engines. Something I read said that the flywheel mounting point protrudes further towards the rear of the car on the original SBC than it does on the newer engine, that might have been LS, though. I'll have to find that reference again.
The bearing should have come with a bunch of shims. If not, you can get them cheap from howe or mcleod.

You have an LT1 trans and bellhousing.

The LT1 flywheel has a larger pocket where the bolts are, since the clutch disc mounts with with the spring sin the pocket.

That being said, I'd expect the LT1 flywheel to be thicker and closer to the transmission. So, I'd guess you need to add some shims to get your stackup distance to your pressure plate correct.

I'd buy the cheapest SFI approved 153 tooth flywheel you can afford. I like the SFI flywheels because they don't remove your feet when they get too hot.

-- Joe
Old 01-11-2016, 01:22 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

The SFI flywheels on summit are all in the $230-$260 range depending on the weight. They range from 9lb to 30lb.

That's not bad. I need to decide on flywheel weight.

If I'm understanding this correctly, going to a push style throwout allows me to solve clearance issues with shims, which makes perfect sense. I was afraid that using a standard flywheel with the short LT1 bell housing would give me too little room, hence the need for the conversion flywheel.

I'm not finding much during my searches to illustrate the real difference between the conversion 153 tooth flywheel and a standard 153 tooth flywheel so that I can see it for myself.

Summit has a pretty good return policy and I can see if I can find it locally as well. I'll shop around for a flywheel and then measure up what I have.

Thanks again for all the replies, very helpful.

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 01-11-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:13 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure if you are on TGO, but this dude only wants $160 shipped:

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engin...wheel-t56.html

2pc RMS T56 flywheel.

-- Joe

Quick Reply: Just picked up a T56 to swap into my '79