C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Borgeson still some wandering

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 01:37 PM
BLDun
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

According to the printout from my alignment shop the toe in is: .26 on te left and .24 on the right.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:11 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

That's in degrees and is fine.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:16 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Do NOT adjust the lash screw on the box. It's a new box, it is set correctly.

You have two issues, not related to each other.

1) Slop in the steering. The first thing to check is that the box is on-center when going straight. All boxes have slop off-center (part of the design). It's easy to install a borgeson wrong as the lock screw on the borgeson rag-joint doesn't line up with the flat on the factory steering column shaft. To verify: Turn wheel lock-to-lock (with wheels off the ground). Then turn it back exactly half way. You'll notice slightly more effort is needed right on center and there's no slop. This has to be your straight-ahead position. Adjust rag-joint and tie-rods to make it thus.

2) Wandering. As long as all the bushings & ball joints are good, it's caused by insufficient caster angle. Factory alignment spec had very little caster. You want as much as the alignment shop can give you (2.5-3 dgrs or so). More is better. I have aftermarket upper control arms giving me 4.5 dgrs and the car is very stable. I can let go of the wheel and it goes straight.

Do exactly as zwede says. Caster: More is better!!!

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 10-15-2015, 10:19 AM
BLDun
Racer

There is not more caster left. It is adjusted as far as it will allow.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:30 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDun
There is not more caster left. It is adjusted as far as it will allow.
I'm just following this thread as I'm chasing a similar issue. I'm saving the Borgeson idea as a last resort if nothing else works, and it is somewhat better since the trailing and camber arms went in. Also hope there is no rule against cutting and pasting other persons comments but if you have stock upper control arms I thought this idea might help you:

"Gkull has increased the caster by slotting the shaft in the upper A-arms 1/4 inch to allow more movement. This usually done in a vertical mill and he said it could be done without taking the a-arms apart. If you move the slot forward it will allow the arm to move rearward increasing caster. He runs 5 to 6 degrees positive".

I would try this but since I'm going all with new suspension parts, I'll soon be pulling the trigger on a pair of VBP offset a-arms with aluminum cross shafts. That will get me close to 5* caster.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Tommy K 47
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy over steering

Originally Posted by BLDun
Thanks for the list Mikep3.
- Rag joint is new
- Haven't checked steering column bearing
- I haven't done anything to the rear suspension since purchase. I redid the front first so
looks like I'm going to have to pay attention to the rear .

I checked with the alignment shop today and got a print out. The caster is set at 2.9 on one and 3.3 on the other. Said that was all he could get on them before he ran out of room.
Hello BLDun, did you ever totally get rid of your sloppy steering problem? I also have the same problem with all new or rebuilt parts. It doesn't wander, just sloppy over steering. I've spent way too much money using so called "very experienced" mechanics but problem is still there. I'm getting ready to rip it all out and go Rack & Pinion? Did you have any new discoveries you can tell me about? Thanks Tom

Last edited by Tommy K 47; 10-28-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:13 PM
BLDun
Racer

I wouldn't call it "sloppy" per se. Just wanders a little. However, it is still much better than the original was. Much more in control. I can change lanes on the interstate or highway quickly and bring it right back without having to grab the steering wheel with both hands. I'm going to wait on mine until I redo the rear. It's all original so I will replace all the bushings, shocks and have the trailing arms rebuilt. Then if it persists I will "curse" it. I added the hydroboost at the same time I did the borgeson and the brakes are awesome with it.

As for the rack-n-pinion I have no experience with it so can't say one way or the other.

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-31-2015, 01:22 PM
Tommy K 47
Advanced

Thanks Barry for the thread and all the great info! I paid attention to what Zwede and Silvertone mentioned and the first thing I'm going to do in the spring, after I get the car back from its custom paint job, is make sure the car is going straight when the gearbox is centered (that makes a lot of sense) and to get an alignment printout to assure proper caster and toe.
Thanks again, Tom

Last edited by Tommy K 47; 10-31-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:34 PM
Tommy K 47
Advanced

Originally Posted by zwede
Do NOT adjust the lash screw on the box. It's a new box, it is set correctly.

You have two issues, not related to each other.

1) Slop in the steering. The first thing to check is that the box is on-center when going straight. All boxes have slop off-center (part of the design). It's easy to install a borgeson wrong as the lock screw on the borgeson rag-joint doesn't line up with the flat on the factory steering column shaft. To verify: Turn wheel lock-to-lock (with wheels off the ground). Then turn it back exactly half way. You'll notice slightly more effort is needed right on center and there's no slop. This has to be your straight-ahead position. Adjust rag-joint and tie-rods to make it thus.

2) Wandering. As long as all the bushings & ball joints are good, it's caused by insufficient caster angle. Factory alignment spec had very little caster. You want as much as the alignment shop can give you (2.5-3 dgrs or so). More is better. I have aftermarket upper control arms giving me 4.5 dgrs and the car is very stable. I can let go of the wheel and it goes straight.
Thank you Zwede for the great info on sloppy steering. I also have that issue. I will definitely make sure the car is going straight when the box is centered and also get an alignment printout to assure proper caster. Thanks, Tom

Last edited by Tommy K 47; 10-31-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:51 PM
David Mc
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

By the way, I did not have the rear aligned when they did the front yesterday. Will that matter?
The rear steers the car while your moving straight ahead. Any decent alignment starts at the rear.
The following users liked this post:
Tommy K 47 (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 02:06 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fotyfobravo
Swede is spot ON ! My BB 74 had the same issue after a complete rebuild including the Borgesen. I got a good Rear and Front alignment and the guy put about 2* of caster. It's like driving my Miata now! Good luck.
Also it may have been mentioned but a good rear alignment is critical.
Without the rear not tracking straight you may be chasing your tail on a straight stretch of road.
The following users liked this post:
Tommy K 47 (11-01-2015)
Old 04-23-2016, 11:38 PM
Mcjoshin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey BLDun, Just curious if you ever got this resolved or not? I wasn't sure from your posts if you were planning to get the rear rebuilt/aligned now or sometime in the future. Just got done installing a full suspension rebuild and Borgeson unit, but haven't been able to drive it yet. Before the rebuild mine acted similar to what you were describing, so just in case I run into problems was wondering if you got yours fixed.

Quick Reply: New Borgeson still some wandering