C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choosing the right carb

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:09 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice carb for sure. I might go with the 850cfm and I would look at the the Edelbrock RPM air gap.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:02 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

I might of gone a 850 but I think you will be very happy... Good choice:-)

Just looked above... Motörhead beat me to it... I like his idea... Same thought on the carb, ... And the edelbrock rpm is a known great performer for its application

Last edited by pauldana; 11-21-2015 at 07:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1970-Stingray (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 10:09 PM
1970-Stingray
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
When you finally realize you bought the wrong style of carburetor Holley will be more than happy to sell you the right style for another $550 (plus shipping). Its your money so you can waste it in any way you wish.
thank you sir i will let you know
Old 11-22-2015, 03:09 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Names Sell

We humans are odd as we often buy products solely because of their cool names. Names such as "Air Gap", "Brute", "BlackWing", "Double Pumper", "Filter Charger", "X-Ram", "E-Street", and "Team G". The product could be a horrible misapplication but yet we'll buy it anyway just for it's name alone so we can brag about owning one too.

I have a barely functioning 76 year old drunk neighbor who can't read or write, has the IQ of a sea slug, and no mechanical knowledge or skills whatsoever. When I showed him my engine one afternoon he spotted my #3310 Holley and immediately said "ah, you got a double pumper" without having the foggiest idea of what a double pumper is. Somewhere along the line he saw a Holley and heard the term "double pumper" and the name stuck. To him all 4-barrel Holleys are double pumpers whether they are or not.

In the world of advertising names sell like hotcakes so if a product is given a cool name that name alone will sell the product.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:57 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

When you finally realize you bought the wrong style of carburetor Holley will be more than happy to sell you the right style for another $550 (plus shipping). Its your money so you can waste it in any way you wish.
You are correct! Buying a 3310 Holley for $550 would definitely be a waste of money especially since you can buy one with free shipping for $325. .

Last edited by Jason Staley; 11-22-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:52 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by 1970-Stingray
Thank you everybody for all the information you provide

So i made my mind i'm going with the double pumper and dual plane intake

WEIAND STEALTH INTAKE - CHEVY BIG BLOCK V8
PART# 8019
https://www.holley.com/products/inta...lds/parts/8019

750 ULTRA DOUBLE PUMPER
Electric Choke
PART# 0-76750BL
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/0-76750BL

again thanks , a lot of good infos in here
Looks like a good combo to me. I have a two plane, mech sec. on my SBC and it runs great, should be plenty conservative enough for a BBC.

I run a 825 mech sec. & single plane on my big block Oldsmobile .... 1.6 sec 60' times & 0-60 in 3.6 sec's. If I'm not careful leaving taking off, it will spin my 14" wide M&H's. So I guess that dispels the lack of torque argument.

Last edited by Jason Staley; 11-22-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:55 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

We humans are odd as we often buy products solely because of their cool names. Names such as "Air Gap", "Brute", "BlackWing", "Double Pumper", "Filter Charger", "X-Ram", "E-Street", and "Team G". The product could be a horrible misapplication but yet we'll buy it anyway just for it's name alone so we can brag about owning one too.

I have a barely functioning 76 year old drunk neighbor who can't read or write, has the IQ of a sea slug, and no mechanical knowledge or skills whatsoever. When I showed him my engine one afternoon he spotted my #3310 Holley and immediately said "ah, you got a double pumper" without having the foggiest idea of what a double pumper is. Somewhere along the line he saw a Holley and heard the term "double pumper" and the name stuck. To him all 4-barrel Holleys are double pumpers whether they are or not.

In the world of advertising names sell like hotcakes so if a product is given a cool name that name alone will sell the product.
I heard of an old guy who smoked swisher cigars and thought he was always correct. He didn’t know how to set up a double pumper carb. After rigging up his Quadrajet fully mechanical, and having terrible results, he went on a crusade to convince all that mechanical secondary carbs were impossible to use on the street. He could not accept that some people could get them to work, and preferred them. Instead he chose to regard them as ignorant. He could not just give his opinion and move on……
The following 2 users liked this post by 74modified:
homestead (12-01-2015), SH-60B (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Ive run a lot of 3310s or the same type of carb just a different list number and some of the 47 series DP on the street. They are cheap to buy but that's about all that's good about them in comparison to what you could buy today.

The 3310 has strait boosters and very poor on adjustable only a metering plate in the back.

The old 47 series some at least have a down leg booster a metering block in the back with jets, but they to don't have all the adjustment you can get.
They also are setup with a rich idle for hot cams of race cars.

These newer carbs like the Quick fuel or ultra hollies with an electric choke both quick fuel and holley are setting them up for a street car.

Forget about the 3310 and don't buy a carb with less then a down leg booster and an annular would be even better.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 11-22-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970-Stingray
thank you sir i will let you know
Don't worry about toobroke. You've heard from a number of people in this thread who actually know what they're talking about. You listened to them and made a good choice.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:38 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

If you don't want to use the OEM QuadraJet either an electric choke #3310 Holley or a #1411 Performer Edelbrock carburetor would work perfectly right out of the box. Although the Edelbrocks don't have the glamour of the "double pumpers" they are excellent carburetors and shouldn't be overlooked.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:22 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Default The Great Edelbrock AVS Carburetors

As the Edelbrock carburetors use the tried-and-proven "Air Valve Secondary" technology they are unbeatable for high performance street driven cars. Like the vacuum secondary Holleys the air valve secondary prevents the secondaries from opening too quickly and bogging the engine (too much air) at the lower engine speeds. Now days all of the attention is on the fancy aftermarket Holley clones with their designer colors, bells and whistles while the great (and less expensive) Edelbrocks get overlooked.

I suggest looking at what Edelbrock has to offer before making your final decision. But one thing is for sure and that is vacuum and air valve secondaries are THE way to go for street driven cars.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Just for the sake of argument, here is my mech. secondary equipped car that cannot possibly take off without a horrible bog since it doesn't have vacuum .. blah blah blah .

It's an old video with not that great of video quality, but you can see I launch hard 3 times in a row from a stand still without bogging. Don't say it so

Old 11-23-2015, 05:43 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Default Holley #3310

I vote for a Holley #3310. You can buy used ones thru E-Bay for only $50 then after putting a $40 kit into it you're good to go for under $100. With a cfm rating of 750 cfm it'll be perfect for a 454" making 400+ hp and with it's vacuum secondary it would work very well for both automatic or 4-speed transmissions.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Every time you post it just back up my opinion that you don't have a clue.

I post from experience, something I have done, I don't use any second hand info. I don't google answers and I don't pretend to be the forum expert and have to answer every question which by the way is getting real, real old.

I did a side by side dyno of the RPM Air Gap and the Vic Jr. so I could see for myself what the results results were. This was on my old 400HP 355ci engine in my Vette 15 years ago.

The results were not what I expected listening to old farts relating old wive tales. I have the dyno sheet and the results were the two manifold were almost identical with the Air Gap holding it's own until about 65500RPM where the VIc Jr makes about 3-5hp more but more importantly did not lose any Tq anywhere as a matter of fact made more Tq than than the Air Gap but not by much.

In conclusion I would not be scared to say the RPM Air Gap is the best dual plane manifold out there, not because it sounds cool, the numbers speak for themselves. Now if more "experts" actually performed tests instead of blowing their spouts off on the first reply on most questions asked here lately we might have a more informed C3 section.
1970-Stingray (11-24-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 08:33 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead

I post from experience, something I have done, I don't use any second hand info. I don't google answers and I don't pretend to be the forum expert and have to answer every question which by the way is getting real, real old.

I did a side by side dyno of the RPM Air Gap and the Vic Jr. so I could see for myself what the results results were. This was on my old 400HP 355ci engine in my Vette 15 years ago.

The results were not what I expected listening to old farts relating old wive tales. I have the dyno sheet and the results were the two manifold were almost identical with the Air Gap holding it's own until about 65500RPM where the VIc Jr makes about 3-5hp more but more importantly did not lose any Tq anywhere as a matter of fact made more Tq than than the Air Gap but not by much.

In conclusion I would not be scared to say the RPM Air Gap is the best dual plane manifold out there, not because it sounds cool, the numbers speak for themselves. Now if more "experts" actually performed tests instead of blowing their spouts off on the first reply on most questions asked here lately we might have a more informed C3 section.
Just comparing notes with your data, we tried carb spacers on the single plane and netted another 6-12 HP on a 383 SBC. The problem with running a 2" spacer is hood clearance. The Edelbrock Manifolds are hard to beat right out of the box.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:28 AM
1970-Stingray
Intermediate

And i changed my mind and bought the edelbrock airgab
it should be here this weekend
and the carb also should be here this weekend
didn't change the carb tho . still going with the DP 750 cfm electric shock holley 0-76750BH

Originally Posted by Les
Don't worry about toobroke. You've heard from a number of people in this thread who actually know what they're talking about. You listened to them and made a good choice.
yes thats what i was looking for, different opinions which helped me choose what i chose

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
Ive run a lot of 3310s or the same type of carb just a different list number and some of the 47 series DP on the street. They are cheap to buy but that's about all that's good about them in comparison to what you could buy today.

The 3310 has strait boosters and very poor on adjustable only a metering plate in the back.

The old 47 series some at least have a down leg booster a metering block in the back with jets, but they to don't have all the adjustment you can get.
They also are setup with a rich idle for hot cams of race cars.

These newer carbs like the Quick fuel or ultra hollies with an electric choke both quick fuel and holley are setting them up for a street car.

Forget about the 3310 and don't buy a carb with less then a down leg booster and an annular would be even better.

yes sir, it has a down leg booster and a primary metering block
Thanks

Nice carb for sure. I might go with the 850cfm and I would look at the the Edelbrock RPM air gap.
Originally Posted by pauldana
I might of gone a 850 but I think you will be very happy... Good choice:-)

Just looked above... Motörhead beat me to it... I like his idea... Same thought on the carb, ... And the edelbrock rpm is a known great performer for its application
which i did
i changed my mind and bought the edelbrock airgab
the reason is you guys telling me so i started looking online and seen some people saying Weiand is a cheap Chinese made. And edelbrock is american made, so it's edelbrock for sure
Old 11-24-2015, 10:40 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Glad you bought the Air Gap you will not be disappointed even though the resident #2 poster in almost every thread might disagree. I also like the black carb and it all aluminum with billet metering plates and baseplate and a four corner idle at a great price.

If you tune the metering screws make sure you do all four at once, in other words you want all four to have the same number of turns in or out
1970-Stingray (11-26-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To choosing the right carb

Old 11-24-2015, 11:08 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

You can never go wrong using the same type of carburetors the big three used on all of their high performance engines; vacuum or AVS carburetors that are designed for street use.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:58 PM
78 old school
4th Gear

how is that 3.08 rear end working out with the 4 speed manual tranny. I am pretty sure that is an auto tranny gear. I have the same combo with Muncie 4 speed and it is a little sluggy off the line unless it's reved. I have been considering going to a 3.70 or 3.73. Just asking
Old 11-26-2015, 02:36 AM
1970-Stingray
Intermediate

Glad you bought the Air Gap you will not be disappointed even though the resident #2 poster in almost every thread might disagree. I also like the black carb and it all aluminum with billet metering plates and baseplate and a four corner idle at a great price.

If you tune the metering screws make sure you do all four at once, in other words you want all four to have the same number of turns in or out
will put that in mind sir

but the only thing now that the exhaust crossover port might not be totally blocked
we'll see the gasket thats gonna be with it when it gets here

Originally Posted by 78 old school
how is that 3.08 rear end working out with the 4 speed manual tranny. I am pretty sure that is an auto tranny gear. I have the same combo with Muncie 4 speed and it is a little sluggy off the line unless it's reved. I have been considering going to a 3.70 or 3.73. Just asking
Haven't driven it yet, the car got here but waiting for the new carb and the intake to get here first

You can never go wrong using the same type of carburetors the big three used on all of their high performance engines; vacuum or AVS carburetors that are designed for street use.
It might be true, but i'm not really a fan of Vacuum secondary

Quick Reply: choosing the right carb