C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choosing the right carb

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:08 PM
1970-Stingray
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choosing the right carb

Hello folks

the new bad boy coming on its way to his new home
it will arrive this week hopfully

i'll post another thread when it gets here

any way, there is this one thing if you guys can help me with it
i was thinking about buying a new holly carburetor
Any recommendation which holly i should get? + the intake that will go with it the best

the engine is
1969 427 heads on a 454 block correct era 4 bolt main
block was bored 30 over 9.75 cr pistons stock crank 10/10 milling clevite 77 bearings milidon oil bump ,headers, hei distributor

4 speed bw t-10 1975 tans.

rear end was completely rebuilt by savannah driveline 3:08 ratio all new correct mounting hardware and u joints and a new drive shaft.
cam specs are unknown unfortunately the previous owner didn't mention it to me

i'm going to put headers with a straight pipe and some magnate rear cats

its not going to be a race car , but it gotta be fast it's a corvette! haha
any help would be appreciated
Old 11-15-2015, 08:47 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

A 750 cfm Holley #3310 vacuum secondary with an electric choke.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:11 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
750 will work but Holley will not reccomend a vacuum secondary with our light cars and manual transmission. Call them
Old 11-16-2015, 06:42 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Why do you want to replace the carb on a car you have yet to use? Contrary to most folks perception, 'carb replacement' does not provide that much of a performance improvement...except where the present carb is not functioning properly or is (by design) a bad mis-match with the engine.

If the car runs well, you would be better advised to tune the existing carb and get the choke, etc. working properly.

Just throwing a "new" carb on the car is usually just a waste of time and money.
The following users liked this post:
TeaEye (12-27-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 11:41 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Your question is a loaded one and almost each person will have their favorite brand or some reason why this or that carb sucks and not in a good way.
But of the big carb builders all can be made to work, some better than others with less hassles.
If you have the toad pelts ( I dont ) EFI is the way to go...

Since you didn't mention why you want a new carb I will respect your desire to have a new one, I feel that same way and have seen too many cats waste too much time putzing with an old unknown carb and then grab a new one and the car performed better, time and money well spent.

In my case I plan to run the super popular holley 3310 on my 69 with mild ( lol ) 454 for lots of valid reasons ranging from I just want to try this holley to believing my Edelbrock carb that is on there is a hair on the small side.

In your case if you have the rectangle port heads and plan a lot of high rpm stuff you might even take a look at an 850
Old 11-16-2015, 11:55 AM
TheycallmeDave
Pro

Whatever carb you decide on, get it with annular boosters. Car Craft magazine did a dyno test between annulars and downlegs carbs and in the low end range a 90 ft. lb torque increase was had on the dyno. That is real noticeable power. I have em on my 750 mech secs Mighty Demon carb.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:04 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow you jump in every question as soon as posted, I didn't know Google and Wikipedia were that fast. Your name should be toomuchonlinegivingbadadvicetoretire.
pauldana (11-20-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 05:10 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Wow you jump in every question as soon as posted, I didn't know Google and Wikipedia were that fast. Your name should be toomuchonlinegivingbadadvicetoretire.
LOFL!

And I agree with The13bats, an 850 would be an excellent candidate.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:03 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
What he said

I like the double pumper for a 4 speed, but as Bats said everyone has an opinion.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:20 PM
1970-Stingray
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Why do you want to replace the carb on a car you have yet to use? Contrary to most folks perception, 'carb replacement' does not provide that much of a performance improvement...except where the present carb is not functioning properly or is (by design) a bad mis-match with the engine.

If the car runs well, you would be better advised to tune the existing carb and get the choke, etc. working properly.

Just throwing a "new" carb on the car is usually just a waste of time and money.
yes sorry for the confusing and not mentioning that the carb is stock and i want to be keep it clean and new .thats my reason. it might not sound convincing but nothing els to say i want it to be clean when i want to install it when i sell the car haha.
and since i'm changing it, i thought i would ask you guys what is the one that would be ( enough ) for what i have. for instance, i don't want a 950 cfm when the 750 is gonna be enough
by the way i'm planning on buying a cam
even tho the car sounds cammed and the headlights don't have enough vacuum . i'll have to contact the guy i bought it from to try and see what cam on it.

so the one i was looking at is the 770 CFM STREET AVENGER 0-80770

well its not gonna be a waste of time because i live working on them.

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Your question is a loaded one and almost each person will have their favorite brand or some reason why this or that carb sucks and not in a good way.
But of the big carb builders all can be made to work, some better than others with less hassles.
If you have the toad pelts ( I dont ) EFI is the way to go...

Since you didn't mention why you want a new carb I will respect your desire to have a new one, I feel that same way and have seen too many cats waste too much time putzing with an old unknown carb and then grab a new one and the car performed better, time and money well spent.

In my case I plan to run the super popular holley 3310 on my 69 with mild ( lol ) 454 for lots of valid reasons ranging from I just want to try this holley to believing my Edelbrock carb that is on there is a hair on the small side.

In your case if you have the rectangle port heads and plan a lot of high rpm stuff you might even take a look at an 850
i respect that man
i don't like my old one either that's another reason to get a new one.
the 3310 is a great one
i like the 80770 one reason is that it has secondary metering plates. And my buddy is a great tuner and he told me that this would be better.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:25 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970-Stingray

And my buddy is a great tuner and he told me that this would be better.

Yep, your buddy should know......................
Old 11-16-2015, 08:39 PM
1970-Stingray
Intermediate

Yep, your buddy should know......................
won't hurt getting more opinions
Old 11-16-2015, 08:40 PM
1970-Stingray
Intermediate

thanks everybody, appreciate it
Old 11-16-2015, 09:12 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I talked to Lars and Quick fuel. Went with a 830 SS.

Very happy with the results.
1970-Stingray (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 12:33 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Yes sorry for the confusing and not mentioning that the carb is stock and I want to keep it clean and new. That's my reason. It might not sound convincing but nothing else to say; I want it to be clean when I want to install it when I sell the car. Ha ha.
You say the carb is stock. Does that mean it's a QuadraJet? That would mean you have a spreadbore manifold. These are the only Holley carbs that will bolt to a spreadbore manifold and work well with that engine. FS: 2 Holley 800 cfm Spreadbore Carbs

Just sayin'

Last edited by Kid Vette; 11-18-2015 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:42 AM
1970-Stingray
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
You say the carb is stock. Does that mean it's a QuadraJet? That would mean you have a spreadbore manifold. These are the only Holley carbs that will bolt to a spreadbore manifold and work well with that engine. FS: 2 Holley 800 cfm Spreadbore Carbs

Just sayin'
yes sir
I am sure what you are saying is right. The thing i'm not sure about is what carb is on it but the guy who i bought from said it is stock. anyway i'll have to wait for it to be here first

BUT maybe you didn't notice that i also said that i want the carb and the intake manifold

any way, there is this one thing if you guys can help me with it
i was thinking about buying a new holly carburetor
Any recommendation which holly i should get? + the intake that will go with it the best
Old 11-18-2015, 11:23 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

yes sir
I am sure what you are saying is right. The thing i'm not sure about is what carb is on it but the guy who i bought from said it is stock. anyway i'll have to wait for it to be here first

BUT maybe you didn't notice that i also said that i want the carb and the intake manifold
I too have been guilty of making a reply to quickly after not fully reading what the poster actually said, I am far more careful that that and do rear all posts...

So when you get past the cats telling you keep what you and etc

The main thing you need is a bit more info as in which heads you have will make a difference, oval port or rectangle port, very different creatures made for different RPM power bands.

As far as pulling the old carb just to save it I would have to say that in and of itself is a waste of $$$ you are modding the car anyway having the old carb in a box will only soothe a purist would be buyer so much.

Get notified of new replies

To choosing the right carb

Old 11-18-2015, 01:16 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

3310 is an excellent choice.....best bang for the buck out there...
But as others have said....why do you need a new one?

And as far as annular boosters go....one only sees big gains on a low vacuum motor with bad signal.....

Holley will not recommend a Vac Sec for a stick....but it still works very well if the secondary spring is lightened up to account for the fast increase in RPM under a load in first gear.

I have heard a LOT of good things about Quick Fuel....but have never tried one.....they are kinda pricy...but all tuner carbs are.
If cost is no object....go with Patrick at Pro Systems.....

This is my opinion...based on years of screwing around...and your results may vary!

Jebby
Old 11-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Edelbrock

On my car I have had a Demon 750 a Holley 650 and currently an Edelbrock 600. The Edelbrock is by Far my favorite carburetor hands down. Could be how it "fits" with my complete Set-up
Old 11-18-2015, 01:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

He could probably get away with a vacuum secondary on it esp with those gears;(not sure Id call the car light)plenty of performance cars came with vac secondarys back then.... Personally I like a double pumper on stick cars...actually most hot rods period. Personal choice

toobroketoretire just cant catch a break...he says DP you guys tear him up, VS same thing. Wow

Last edited by cv67; 11-18-2015 at 01:36 PM.
1970-Stingray (11-18-2015)

Quick Reply: choosing the right carb