C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silicon Wiper Blade Refills

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:46 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Silicon Wiper Blade Refills

Right after I bought my '71 I replaced it's OEM style rubber wiper blades with the expensive silicon rubber wiper blades. They now have 6 years and about 60,000 miles on them and they still appear new. If I recall they were pretty expensive at about $25 but I found the silicon wiper blades will pay for themselves in their life span alone. They are still as soft as they were and they never chatter after sitting in the parked position for 6 months at a time. As you know the OEM rubber style will "take a set" after being parked for long periods of time but the silicon blades don't.

As winter is closing in and its time to replace your wiper blades I highly recommend spending the extra money for the superior silicon wiper blades.

Last edited by toobroketoretire; 11-20-2015 at 10:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Elba Mike (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

It's good to know that they have worked well for you, but what you are talking about are actually blades with inserts made of silicone rubber, not silicon. Silicones are polymers of siloxane, which is a chain of alternating silicon and oxygen atoms. These polymers also frequently incorporate carbon and/or hydrogen. See Wikipedia for more details!

Last edited by SI67; 11-21-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Where did you get them?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:13 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Where did you get them?

All I remember is I ordered them over the internet and I don't remember the brand name. They never "take a set" like the rubber refills do and they do a much better job of wiping as they don't leave streaks. I have used them for 6 years now and they still wipe as good as they did when they were new.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:01 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
All I remember is I ordered them over the internet and I don't remember the brand name. They never "take a set" like the rubber refills do and they do a much better job of wiping as they don't leave streaks. I have used them for 6 years now and they still wipe as good as they did when they were new.
PIAA, an Italian company, makes several varieties. You can get them from Tire Rack or many other distributors. I am using their Super Silicone, a conventional design blade. They are also made in a flat style blade, but I've heard that these do not exactly follow the curve of the windshield at the extremes (I cannot verify this from experience).

Get notified of new replies

To Silicon Wiper Blade Refills

Quick Reply: Silicon Wiper Blade Refills