C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any benefit to a new manifold only?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 01:38 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by SH-60B
I'm sure there'll be a small power gain, but at a minimum it will be a good start to future mods, like headers and free flowing exhaust.
Originally Posted by Little Mouse
A performer is a replacement manifold won't give you any problems with your air cleaner.

One of the rags a few yrs ago did a test on a mild 350 using the 2101 performer to see what difference there was between it and the standard chevy iron manifold. It made 9 HP increase as an average not just top rpm. But when you figure rwhp you might see 6 hp. you will lose around 20 pounds of dead weight.
this^^^ every 5 lbs is like gaining 1hp... so if you gain say10hp, and loose 20lbs... thats like 14hp now!!! and like SH-60B said.. good start for future upgrades...
The following users liked this post:
Redhook98 (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
this^^^ every 5 lbs is like gaining 1hp... so if you gain say10hp, and loose 20lbs... thats like 14hp now!!! and like SH-60B said.. good start for future upgrades...
Anytime you can take 20 lbs off the front of any car its a win. If you think about it that twenty pounds is up pretty high above the axle center line. Any extra weight not needed above the axle center line is like death to a sports car.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 12-01-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:59 PM
homestead
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhook98
Thanks, but not a dirt or grease problem. Smog problem.
Your engine looks awesome! Like others have said, the lighter weight will help and the intake maybe a little more efficient. Not to sure how much difference you would notice on the street though. Probably not much....
Old 12-01-2015, 03:05 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

The Performer EPS is almost a half inch taller than the old Perfomer (non EPS). I have both versions here.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:19 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

To the OP if you will look at a 2101 performer you will see it has the place already on it to mount your factory choke thermostat coil.

Edlebrock made this manifold as a replacement manifold.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 12-01-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Redhook98 (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Redhook98
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
To the OP if you will look at a 2101 performer you will see it has the place already on it to mount your factory choke thermostat coil.

Edlebrock made this manifold as a replacement manifold.
I saw that, thanks. I am going with that or the ZZ4 manifold. Both are the stock height and have all the right provisions.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:34 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TedH
EGR block-off plates are cheap and easy to install. I put one on my Edelbrock Performer #3701 intake. It used the same gaskets as the EGR valve.

I have since installed the #2101 Performer. If you want to paint a performer intake manifold to match the engine so it is not so obvious to the casual observer that you have replaced intake), you will save 20 lbs and pick up a cheap 6 rwhp for $100 (great deals on eBay). And, it is a great way to prime the pump for the other top end improvements (Recurve the distributor, tune the carb for performance, K&N filter). Great way to freshen and improve without touching the heads and exhaust (next if you ever want to see bigger gains). I would consider removal of the smog hoses but keep your PCV, EVAP and spark advance hoses.
This +1... Performer is a good upgrade, easy, relatively cheap and 6rwhp doesn't sound like a lot but it is around a 5% improvement. The weight savings are actually a bigger deal. Rule of thumb is every 20lbs weight savings is worth around .02 seconds ET in the 1/4 mile.

Definitely though a good set of long tube headers, eliminate cats and true dual exhaust with free flowing mufflers will really get you your biggest bang for the buck HP improvement on a stockish SBC. 30+ compared to the restrictive stock cast iron exhaust manifolds and single cat stock exhaust system.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Redhook98
Racer

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
This +1... Performer is a good upgrade, easy, relatively cheap and 6rwhp doesn't sound like a lot but it is around a 5% improvement. The weight savings are actually a bigger deal. Rule of thumb is every 20lbs weight savings is worth around .02 seconds ET in the 1/4 mile.

Definitely though a good set of long tube headers, eliminate cats and true dual exhaust with free flowing mufflers will really get you your biggest bang for the buck HP improvement on a stockish SBC. 30+ compared to the restrictive stock cast iron exhaust manifolds and single cat stock exhaust system.

It's a 73. No cats and true duals. No mufflers. Chambered pipes all the way back. I may consider headers later on. Never gonna be fast even with headers though. Lol! Thanks!
Old 12-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhook98
It's a 73. No cats and true duals. No mufflers. Chambered pipes all the way back. I may consider headers later on. Never gonna be fast even with headers though. Lol! Thanks!
Headers will wake your car up a LOT more than a Performer manifold will. While I agree that the weight savings are helpful, you really won't notice much change at all from doing the manifold.

Headers will drop weight as well, and add significantly more power across the RPM range. Since you already have duals, even better.

If you haven't ordered the manifold yet, I'd highly recommend doing headers instead. I've done both - felt pretty much nothing from the manifold and the headers really transformed the car.

I'm much further down the road with my modifications now, but still remember these changes very well.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Improving the exhaust is the 1st thing I do.
I'm with Shark Racer on this one. Do the headers; all future mods will be maximized.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Don't change anything ever it isn't worth it the factory knew best. ( sarcasm)
I agree it's a good starting point and will enhance future mods. Ask Warren Johnson what he paid for 5 horsepower.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Redhook98
Racer

I got the headers in while on vacation over the Christmas holidays. Bought a new set of Summits off of a member and primed/painted/clear coated them with VHT. Made a big improvement. I can tell my exhaust manifolds had never been off as there were no gaskets between the manifolds and block. Plus they are a b!tch to get off with the AIR tubes still in place. Removed the smog pump and ported the distributor to manifold vacuum. Took care of my idle creep and cutting out at mid-rpms under load. Air conditioning was a blast to get back in (sarcasm).

One thing I did notice was the size of the exhaust donut sleeves in the original exhaust. They are only open 1.5 inches with the factory collar in place. Wow! Talk about a choke point! The AIR injectors really stuck in there further then I would have though also. That is the most restrictive setup I can imagine.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:24 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Not one of chevrolet best designs for sure,but that is what happens when lawyers in Washington mandate how cars are built.
Congratulations on your improvements, they will be noticeable Happy new year.
I used to Race at Colonial beach Drag strip. Is the pier still there,you could walk on the pier and buy maryland lottery tickets because the state border was the low tide border.used to love the place.

Last edited by 7t9l82; 12-30-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I say do it......the ZZ4 manifold is a great choice......although not sure how high it sits.

Do yourself a favor and use 1204 Fel-Pro gasket to block the heat riser.
You car looks like a pampered piece and I am sure you can live without the choke.
This will keep the manifold cooler and pick up a little extra.....
As mentioned...a nice curve in the distributor will round this out nicely!

Beautiful car BTW.....

Jebby
Redhook98 (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Just do it. It's fun, it looks good. Drop the smog stuff. Maybe Paint a few brackets while they're off.

Just Do It - Nike
Old 12-31-2015, 06:25 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Redhook, did you do an intake yet or not? Glad you did the headers - that's where the power is until you start uncorking the rest of the engine internals.

If you haven't done an intake and do so, I'd be curious to hear about your before and after impressions.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Redhook98
Racer

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Redhook, did you do an intake yet or not? Glad you did the headers - that's where the power is until you start uncorking the rest of the engine internals.

If you haven't done an intake and do so, I'd be curious to hear about your before and after impressions.
This is my next endeavor. Currently looking for used a polished 2101 or ZZ4. Want to keep the factory air cleaner to give it the semi-factory look, so I need to keep it a stock height and the Q-jet in place. (plus the Q-jet is already set up really nice).

This will probably be the extent on the mods I will do to this car. It is to nice and original to go inside the motor. Well, maybe a cam, and heads, and and and.... ;-)

Quick Reply: Any benefit to a new manifold only?