C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In line oil cooler set up on early C3

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 11:29 AM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts
Default In line oil cooler set up on early C3

Hello,
Does anybody have Pictures of a in line oil cooler set up on his early (68-72) Corvette C3? With the oil cooler beeing mounted in front of the Radiator and a pick up Sandwich plate at engine block oil filter Mount... Maybe somebody has done this before and made Pictures of the instalation, and how he ran the lines from the Sandwich plate to the oil cooler up front. I've read that you can fit a 25 row oil cooler leaning forward right above the middle bumper brace bracket on the early c3 (68-72). But how would you run the lines best, without cutting up the car? Everything is pretty much sealed of to the engine compartment in front of the Radiator, and that for a reason... Thanks for żour help!
Old 11-29-2015, 02:37 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default I used to have one...

I ran the hoses along the path where the vacuum lines for the headlights are located. Immediately to the left of the little hole where the vacuum lines go thru the rad support there is a roomy gap on my 68 through which I routed the oil cooler lines. Did not have to cut anything.

Originally Posted by Alex66
Hello,
Does anybody have Pictures of a in line oil cooler set up on his early (68-72) Corvette C3? With the oil cooler beeing mounted in front of the Radiator and a pick up Sandwich plate at engine block oil filter Mount... Maybe somebody has done this before and made Pictures of the instalation, and how he ran the lines from the Sandwich plate to the oil cooler up front. I've read that you can fit a 25 row oil cooler leaning forward right above the middle bumper brace bracket on the early c3 (68-72). But how would you run the lines best, without cutting up the car? Everything is pretty much sealed of to the engine compartment in front of the Radiator, and that for a reason... Thanks for żour help!
Old 11-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Alex66
Pro

Originally Posted by carriljc
I ran the hoses along the path where the vacuum lines for the headlights are located. Immediately to the left of the little hole where the vacuum lines go thru the rad support there is a roomy gap on my 68 through which I routed the oil cooler lines. Did not have to cut anything.

I did look at that spot before on my 71, and didnt see enough space there. But there shouldnt be a difference between the 68 and 71... The lines are 1/2 Inch
Old 11-30-2015, 10:39 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default Go take a peek.....

Quite roomy for 2 hoses for my 68. The gap is between the radiator support "plate" and the inner fender....looks like it was built for routing something through there.

If you need a picture let me know.

Originally Posted by Alex66
I did look at that spot before on my 71, and didnt see enough space there. But there shouldnt be a difference between the 68 and 71... The lines are 1/2 Inch
The following users liked this post:
Alex66 (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 02:41 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I passed my cooler lines through that hole as well and used insulated wire clips to secure it to the front crossmember.
The following users liked this post:
Alex66 (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 03:07 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Alex, if you do add an engine oil cooler, consider adding a thermostatic bypass to it. I installed an oil cooler with dual remote filter mount to my '69 Mustang for autocross/road racing and without the bypass, I could barely get the oil temp over 200 degrees on the street.

The early C5's with Z-51 included a connection to the water hose that insured the temperature would at least reach water temp.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 11-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Alex66
Pro

Thank you, thats what I got! I did choose a Hayden Thermostatic Sandwich plate, since it is a one Piece design that Mounts the original size oil filter. The Mocal thermostatic Sandwich plate is a two Piece design (that sometimes Comes loose) and you also Need to Mount a smaller oil filter... But Yes, for sure a thermostatic Sandwich plate/adaptor!

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Alex, if you do add an engine oil cooler, consider adding a thermostatic bypass to it. I installed an oil cooler with dual remote filter mount to my '69 Mustang for autocross/road racing and without the bypass, I could barely get the oil temp over 200 degrees on the street.

The early C5's with Z-51 included a connection to the water hose that insured the temperature would at least reach water temp.

Good luck... GUSTO

Get notified of new replies

To In line oil cooler set up on early C3

Quick Reply: In line oil cooler set up on early C3