C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front clip/Hood alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 05:57 PM
riacreedon@gmail.com
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front clip/Hood alignment

There is a vertical gap of about 1/4 inch between the front edge of my hood and the front clip - the hood is higher. Don't think the hood can be adjusted lower. Seems like the front clip should be able to be pulled up. I've reviewed every page of the ***'y manual and there's nothing showing how the body is attached to the frame up front. Helpful info wouold sure be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:23 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

you didn t mention year .. but there is a support rod from radiator support up to Headlamp Mount support that will allow you to raise it to match hood.. Yours may be missing.. Ecklers or any of the Vendors have it.. about $15... tried to put up the link but it won t work.. try this http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...size=50&page=1

Last edited by fishslayer143; 11-29-2015 at 06:29 PM. Reason: #@$##^%$$%$%$ itch
Old 11-29-2015, 06:52 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bob,
The brace that f mentions installs from the bottom of the core support to the center of the front bumper at the large center bumper bracket. I believe it has very little effect on the height of the nose and is intended to help stabilize it.
Is the difference even from side to side?
If there are presently no shims UNDER the hood hinges you might try putting shims under the hinges at just the rear bolts of the hinges.
Since the pivot point in the hinge is forward of the hinge mount, tipping the rear of the hinge up a little has the effect of tipping the pivot DOWN a little which MAY help your gap a bit.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-29-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...knowing what year you have is needed.

Look at this.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html

DUB
Old 11-29-2015, 07:21 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Bob,
The brace that f mentions installs from the bottom of the core support to the center of the front bumper at the large center bumper bracket. I believe it has very little effect on the height of the nose and is intended to help stabilize it.
If there are presently no shims UNDER the hood hinges you might try putting shims under the hinges at just the rear bolts of the hinges.
Since the pivot point in the hinge is forward of the hinge mount, tipping the rear of the hinge up a little has the effect of tipping the pivot DOWN a little which MAY help your gap a bit.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Sorry Alan, you are mistaken...http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...otors-601213-1 ... the support rod is slotted to allow for adjusting height .

Last edited by fishslayer143; 11-29-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:46 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Doing what Alan says does work. When I replaced my hood w/a L-88 I had the same problem. I added 2 washers on the rear bolt between body and hinge.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:07 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default clip

Has the front clip been like that or was it just replaced and now sits below the hood. Are there any shims under the core support? The center support rod is slotted which has a small amount of adjustment. More adjustment can be obtained come from shimming under the core support or both.
ZIO

Last edited by SB64; 11-29-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:35 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi f,
I thought we were talking about a 68-72 car (as shown in Bob's album)…. which uses a different rod than the 73+ and runs from the bottom of the core support to the center of the the front clip's steel inner reinforcement at the bumper.
The rod's end at the reinforcement is slotted because that distance will vary from car to car. I certainly wouldn't want to use that rod to put any upward pressure on the center front of the clip!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-30-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:36 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Hi f,
I thought we were talking about a 68-72 car (as shown in Bob's album)…. which uses a different rod the the 73+ and runs from the bottom of the core support to the center of the the front clip's steel inner reinforcement at the bumper.
The rod's end at the reinforcement is slotted because that distance will vary from car to car. I certainly wouldn't want to use that rod to put any upward pressure on the center front of the clip!
Regards,
Alan
Hi buddy, Long time no talk....that rod is intended to support the Hood Surround Panel at the front and position it at the right height, hence the slotted end at the big headlamp mount support .. it was intended to cure the common misalignment on early C3 s. It will cause no harm and actually takes the stress off the glass around the headlamp openings .. Have a great day
Old 11-30-2015, 03:41 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default hood adjustment

Hi Bob,
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Alan- I had to take my hood off a week ago when I started my front end rebuild, cause the driver side latch would not release. I reached up thru the grill and removed the hinge bolts. I thought I would properly align the hood (it was tight on the front left) when I re-installed it, but the holes for the bolts have no leeway to adjust. I plan on getting my Dremmel tool and making the holes oblong so I can move it around. I did this already for the passenger side latch and it makes a big difference.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:07 PM
riacreedon@gmail.com
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
you didn t mention year .. but there is a support rod from radiator support up to Headlamp Mount support that will allow you to raise it to match hood.. Yours may be missing.. Ecklers or any of the Vendors have it.. about $15... tried to put up the link but it won t work.. try this http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...size=50&page=1
Thanks. I know the rod you are talking about. It is there but I believe that Alan is right - it is not for adjustment, but to stabilize. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 PM
riacreedon@gmail.com
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...knowing what year you have is needed.

Look at this.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html

DUB
Thanks. It's a '70 roadster.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:19 PM
riacreedon@gmail.com
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ronarndt
Alan- I had to take my hood off a week ago when I started my front end rebuild, cause the driver side latch would not release. I reached up thru the grill and removed the hinge bolts. I thought I would properly align the hood (it was tight on the front left) when I re-installed it, but the holes for the bolts have no leeway to adjust. I plan on getting my Dremmel tool and making the holes oblong so I can move it around. I did this already for the passenger side latch and it makes a big difference.
Alan, Thank you. The gap is greatest in the center and virtually disappears (symetrically) at the left and right edges. I tried adjusting using the slotted holes on the main center bumper brace - no luck. Ill take another look at the hood bolts, but not too optimistic. I'll try that center support rod, and I know where it has the slitted hole, but like you I thought it was to stabilize. I'll repost when I've tried some more. Thanks again to all.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Bob,
From the description in your last post I'm thinking that shimming the hinges isn't going to help. It would help if the gap was consistent across the entire hood.
The rod that f described for use on 73+ cars might actually have the effect you're looking for but I'm not sure that it can be used on 72- cars. If it were used would it be used in addition to the intended rod or in place of it?
?
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-02-2015, 05:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Bob,
Are you looking for a solution that will fix this issue that DOES NOT effect any judging???

If you do not care about judging...then I know what it will take to fix this IF as your wrote: the "hood is higher".

I am not going to be on the forum for the next few days...so if you can wait...great...if you fix it...great.

PM me if you are interested so I know that you need assistance.

I have some specific questions that I would need to ask you due to they have not been asked nor these key areas have not yet been touched on....and that is assuming that this car has not be hacked on by someone in the past.
DUB
Old 12-02-2015, 05:59 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
Bob,
Are you looking for a solution that will fix this issue that DOES NOT effect any judging???

If you do not care about judging...then I know what it will take to fix this IF as your wrote: the "hood is higher".

I am not going to be on the forum for the next few days...so if you can wait...great...if you fix it...great.

PM me if you are interested so I know that you need assistance.

I have some specific questions that I would need to ask you due to they have not been asked nor these key areas have not yet been touched on....and that is assuming that this car has not be hacked on by someone in the past.
DUB
I m curious... How exactly would adjusting the Hood Surround Panel Support Rod that is SLOTTED from the Factory , for just such an adjustment to align it with Hood, affect Judging in any way ??

Last edited by fishslayer143; 12-02-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

I m curious... How exactly would adjusting the Hood Surround Panel Support Rod that is SLOTTED from the Factory , for just such an adjustment to align it with Hood, affect Judging in any way ??
Because the support rod you posted is not for a 1970...this is the one that he has ( or should have) and it does not attach in the same place as what GM did in later years to STOP this problem at the front of the hood.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1968-1972.html

Which is why I wrote what I wrote about if he is concnered about judging.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Front clip/Hood alignment

Old 12-02-2015, 06:40 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

There is one for 68 to 72
CORVETTE NOSE SUPPORT ROD
Item#:423002
GM#:3972306, 3974016
Price:20.50
Pkg:EACH
Year:1968-1972

#423002 and #423045 rods ******* radiator support to hood surround reinforcement. *** ******* Its a simple fix but, You do what you like.. not my car. Just a suggestion based on the many years I spent running a Shop specializing in Corvette Collision Repairs and Customizing.. And If I m not mistaken, OP says his car already has one. Just need to adjust it as Factory intended...

Last edited by fishslayer143; 12-02-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

There is one for 68 to 72
CORVETTE NOSE SUPPORT ROD
Item#:423002
GM#:3972306, 3974016
Price:20.50
Pkg:EACH
Year:1968-1972

#423002 and #423045 rods ******* radiator support to hood surround reinforcement. *** ******* Its a simple fix but, You do what you like.. not my car. Just a suggestion based on the many years I spent running a Shop specializing in Corvette Collision Repairs and Customizing.. And If I m not mistaken, OP says his car already has one. Just need to adjust it as Factory intended...
YEAH...I also do Corvette repair for a living and have for a very long time... AND I do know that the rod support 'in question' DOES make difference on which one he has due to the drastic design change on where they mount.

And you should know that if he has the factory correct support rod for his 1970.....it can not change the headlight support beam dimension at the hood because it bolts to the radiator support and the support brace on the backside of the top hood surround behind the bumper..in the center. And being secured there....it can not effect the panel flushness issue as effectively as what GM did in 1973. The support rod is too far away from where the problem is....which is why the change in design/location of mounting. it is only logical.

So it depends on IF he has a factory support rod...which I feel he does..and which is why I asked him if he is worried about judging.

DUB
Old 12-06-2015, 12:13 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
YEAH...I also do Corvette repair for a living and have for a very long time... AND I do know that the rod support 'in question' DOES make difference on which one he has due to the drastic design change on where they mount.

And you should know that if he has the factory correct support rod for his 1970.....it can not change the headlight support beam dimension at the hood because it bolts to the radiator support and the support brace on the backside of the top hood surround behind the bumper..in the center. And being secured there....it can not effect the panel flushness issue as effectively as what GM did in 1973. The support rod is too far away from where the problem is....which is why the change in design/location of mounting. it is only logical.

So it depends on IF he has a factory support rod...which I feel he does..and which is why I asked him if he is worried about judging.

DUB
The OP asked for a solution to a problem he could not solve. .. I gave him one that will take 5 minutes to correct a common problem that GM obviously knew about and simply corrected with the rod I suggested, as it is ion every C3 afterwards .. You do whatever you like, I m not here to measure dicks, just to help the newly introduced owners.. The rod ,as I showed you is readily available for 68-72 models .. I have nothing further on the matter, the OP can do as he feels best, as can you .

Quick Reply: Front clip/Hood alignment