C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many Of You "Beat On" Your C3's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:08 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Reality shows are nothing but a pile of crap, all exactly the same. All made up drama and nothing to do with reality. Americans should be ashamed of themselves for making this crap popular....any of them.

I fully agree and do not watch the tripe, all those salted fake shows ranging from pawn shops to treasure hunting then cars and aliens...but the US isnt the only place they are popular...

As for beating on a car, I have too much respect for the cars, motorcycles, and airplanes I have owned to beat on them. The idea that "that is what they are for" only comes from the mouths of ........ not going to even say.
On this why toss in some hidden possible attempt at a poke on people who do drive a sports car like a sports car I see it as disrespect to the designers and builders.

reminds me of my wifes ex, 30 plus years older than her, not a bad fellow, every sunday he would go to "look" at corvettes dreamed of one for years and for all kinds of weird lame reasons never would buy one, the cat has the means so why not?
That is the same type cat who IF they do buy one pamper and or waste a sports car or cycle...it's just sad to me but if they are happy holding back and settling I will respect that....
Old 12-01-2015, 07:11 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

I'll say this: if I ever got to the point, where I didn't want to flog on my Corvette, I'd sell the friggin' thing and go out and buy a 60's or 70's Buick Riviera, Olds Toronado or even a late 60's Cad Eldo.

Because if you're not going to be driving a sports car, like a sports car, you might as well, get a cruiser, with big comfy leather seats, plenty of room, easy to work on and a nice ride. That's what I'd do.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:30 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is my take. I would rather enjoy it - driving it hard at times. If that is not your thing, great, it is your car...do what you like.

It is just not me. Kind of reminds me of someone who would buy a popular toy, but not play with it, in the hope that it would be worth something later. Sad point is, you never enjoy the toy other than to look at it.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:38 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

7 and 7...
Old 12-01-2015, 09:58 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
...if you're not going to be driving a sports car, like a sports car, you might as well, get a cruiser...
I have a newer F250 diesel.

...I drive it like a F250 diesel. Diesel. It's different.

I have a beater 2nd Gen Subaru Outback 3.0L-H6. Got it for $2k for the sole purpose of taking the kids to the bus stop and keep the "crappy cold miles" off my more expensive vehicles. We call it "Rusty the Golf Cart".

...I drive it like a car I'm trying to keep together for as long as I can.

I have a 1970 Corvette 4-speed coupe with a ~500 hp engine. The car is capable of a sub-4 second 0-60 if launched well.

...I drive it like a Corvette. Doesn't mean abuse. It DOES mean 'fun'. Only fun car in the stable.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:26 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by keithinspace
I have a newer F250 diesel.

...I drive it like a F250 diesel. Diesel. It's different.

I have a beater 2nd Gen Subaru Outback 3.0L-H6. Got it for $2k for the sole purpose of taking the kids to the bus stop and keep the "crappy cold miles" off my more expensive vehicles. We call it "Rusty the Golf Cart".

...I drive it like a car I'm trying to keep together for as long as I can.

I have a 1970 Corvette 4-speed coupe with a ~500 hp engine. The car is capable of a sub-4 second 0-60 if launched well.

...I drive it like a Corvette. Doesn't mean abuse. It DOES mean 'fun'. Only fun car in the stable.
'Rusty the Golf Cart!' I busted out laughing out loud! That's some funny stuff!
Old 12-01-2015, 11:55 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I just had to watch AJROTHM's video again....from the time you rolled into the throttle at 35-40 mph....it was only 12 seconds before it went past 200MPH!

THAT'S a ROCKET!!

You da man!!

JIM
Old 12-02-2015, 09:52 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Reality shows are nothing but a pile of crap, all exactly the same. All made up drama and nothing to do with reality. Americans should be ashamed of themselves for making this crap popular....any of them.

As for beating on a car, I have too much respect for the cars, motorcycles, and airplanes I have owned to beat on them. The idea that "that is what they are for" only comes from the mouths of ........ not going to even say.
I agree with you to a degree on the Street Outlaws show. Alot of it is scripted. They claim the racing is real though, I have my doubts on some of it. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. When they beat Jeff Lutz's 57 Chevy that's when I said no way...I'll bet money Jeff was bagging, there is no way they can beat that car it was bad to the bone. I just don't buy it.

I've personally have gotten bored with the show. Same old drama, just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. When I saw the dude talking to the "dummy" he has in the passenger seat of his car that's when I said "I'm done with this show". That was just stupid.

As far as what they do with there money I guess that's their own business, but if it takes away from the quality of life of their family then it's hard to have respect for that person. I make sure my family has the best of everything, THEN what I have left over I spend money on my hobbies.

I'm just afraid someone is going to get killed on that show eventually. Their families aren't going to think it's entertaining anymore. I don't care what anyone says, racing on an un-prepped surface is more dangerous than racing at the track on a prepped surface. I respect them for making it as safe as they can, but still I'm taking mine to the track.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:42 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by htown81vette
As far as what they do with there money I guess that's their own business, but if it takes away from the quality of life of their family then it's hard to have respect for that person. I make sure my family has the best of everything, THEN what I have left over I spend money on my hobbies.
This is/was the only issue I had with the show.

I don't care about the "reality" aspect of it...it's entertainment. Who cares. Watch it or don't.

I just hate the selfish perspective it portrays and HEAVILY promotes. That "street racing" is more important than ANYTHING. That "ranking" and all this "call out" bull-crap is more important than family or safety.

If it was a bunch of successful folks that had spare coin and do this as a rush instead of skydiving or whatever, that's cool. But they constantly have wives being bothered about how much stuff costs. And kids that have their Daddy in the shop or off racing instead of reading to them in bed.

I have kids. I KNOW how tough it is to even go for an evening drive.

And like you said...it's all fun and games 'til someone croaks.

Last edited by keithinspace; 12-02-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:07 PM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Maybe just a little that time...lol

Here is some easy cruising on the street on it..

Totally not abusing it or ******* it.. Just a leisurely stroll...
Sweet!
Old 12-02-2015, 10:29 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
I just hate the selfish perspective it portrays and HEAVILY promotes. That "street racing" is more important than ANYTHING. That "ranking" and all this "call out" bull-crap is more important than family or safety.
Yeah, seems like I remember one of them saying during the first few episodes that if he lost that weeks race he probably won't be able to pay the mortgage on his house that was due at the end of the week. This is the house his wife and kids live in as well.... pathetic...
Old 12-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Hey your hoods not closed!!! Bring it by and I can adjust the latches for you
Cain't wait for the "How to Maintain your Hood Latches" info that we all know who is darn sure going to post.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Kraft
Cain't wait for the "How to Maintain your Hood Latches" info that we all know who is darn sure going to post.
The spray can instructional, and resulting rejection, was epic.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

I installed a rev limiter because I hit the redline at least once a day during the driving season.

I spend all summer beating the hell out of it, and all winter fixing it.

A moderate 454 is a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:11 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Wow...we'll need to start a Street Outlaws thread!

Sure it's got scripts for entertainment...and there is a lot of editing that makes you think things happened that didn't. You can change a lot of stuff if you just take part of the conversation and mix/match. There's some interesting podcasts that the guys do where they chat about all the stuff they don't always agree with..but it's part of the show. I do believe the racing is as real as possible. They've worked out engine management and suspension tuning much better than most. You can see over the series how their cars react as compared to the first few shows. Herding something like that down an unprepared street is unreal. They use traction compound at the line..but you can see most issues happen down track as they try to ramp in the power with boost/timing/N20. Lutz' cars is a bad boy for sure..and he laid down near 2000 RWHP..which is much more than the show guys have...but you gotta get it down the street...A to B as they say. Lutz had issues at times on Drag Week tracks (just like Larson etc) and then a little bit later could come back and lay down a perfect run. It's all in what you happen to have in the tune and suspension and hope it's correct for that run. When I watch that Blue Monte Carlo of Doc's leave these days he's got it figured out..whereas the first few times he came out he was all over the road and seldom made a decent pass.

Most of them are also on other Forums and come across real down to earth. I've met several of them and they seem like normal car guys that just stumbled into some fun.

As far as taking care of your family...c'mon....we could sell all the junk and buy something better for the family...but do they need something perceived better because it costs more? You say the same for folks who insist on driving a Benz or BMW (leased of course) because it's the "best". Really?? I've seen several say they can't afford "x" for a bet and aren't going to take a chance. Ever been to Vegas? I guarantee you many folks there "shouldn't be there" from a financial standpoint..and many have been ruined. (Luckily I can walk by without a need to gamble a penny!)

Safety...no doubt the streets are the scariest part of the what they do with curbs and light poles etc. Seeing what happened to "The Crow" recently was bad...yet Dave killed "Goliath" on an uprepared real race track a couple of months before that. I will say they are all wearing full safety clothing, neck braces, full cages, helmets, harnesses etc to be as safe as possible whether it's on the street or track. I'll admit my gear isn't quite as robust.

Anyway, those guys are doing something that is bound to pull in good cash for them now that it's working for them. Heck...just appearance fees have to be decent...I've seen them at quite a few events/shows. They were on the internet for years with the "list" long before it was a show. That's how the show found them. Farmtruck was a you-tube hit a long long time before the show.

Wow...can't believe I just typed all that! Sorry for the hijack!

JIM

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 12-02-2015 at 11:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 02:28 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod

Sure it's got scripts for entertainment...and there is a lot of editing that makes you think things happened that didn't. You can change a lot of stuff if you just take part of the conversation and mix/match. There's some interesting podcasts that the guys do where they chat about all the stuff they don't always agree with..but it's part of the show. I do believe the racing is as real as possible. They've worked out engine management and suspension tuning much better than most. You can see over the series how their cars react as compared to the first few shows. Herding something like that down an unprepared street is unreal. They use traction compound at the line..but you can see most issues happen down track as they try to ramp in the power with boost/timing/N20. Lutz' cars is a bad boy for sure..and he laid down near 2000 RWHP..which is much more than the show guys have...but you gotta get it down the street...A to B as they say. Lutz had issues at times on Drag Week tracks (just like Larson etc) and then a little bit later could come back and lay down a perfect run. It's all in what you happen to have in the tune and suspension and hope it's correct for that run. When I watch that Blue Monte Carlo of Doc's leave these days he's got it figured out..whereas the first few times he came out he was all over the road and seldom made a decent pass.

Most of them are also on other Forums and come across real down to earth. I've met several of them and they seem like normal car guys that just stumbled into some fun.

As far as taking care of your family...c'mon....we could sell all the junk and buy something better for the family...but do they need something perceived better because it costs more? You say the same for folks who insist on driving a Benz or BMW (leased of course) because it's the "best". Really?? I've seen several say they can't afford "x" for a bet and aren't going to take a chance. Ever been to Vegas? I guarantee you many folks there "shouldn't be there" from a financial standpoint..and many have been ruined. (Luckily I can walk by without a need to gamble a penny!)

Safety...no doubt the streets are the scariest part of the what they do with curbs and light poles etc. Seeing what happened to "The Crow" recently was bad...yet Dave killed "Goliath" on an uprepared real race track a couple of months before that. I will say they are all wearing full safety clothing, neck braces, full cages, helmets, harnesses etc to be as safe as possible whether it's on the street or track. I'll admit my gear isn't quite as robust.

Anyway, those guys are doing something that is bound to pull in good cash for them now that it's working for them. Heck...just appearance fees have to be decent...I've seen them at quite a few events/shows. They were on the internet for years with the "list" long before it was a show. That's how the show found them. Farmtruck was a you-tube hit a long long time before the show.

JIM
I agree, it's scripted, but the racing seems well to my.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:02 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Kraft

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Of You "Beat On" Your C3's?

Old 12-03-2015, 06:42 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Its great to have a hobby but the father's FIRST responsibility is to his family. Every dollar spent for HIS hobby takes away from his family's quality of life. Yes, I own three C3's right now but my two 40+ year old children have families of their own and are no longer under my care.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:28 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
Its great to have a hobby but the father's FIRST responsibility is to his family. Every dollar spent for HIS hobby takes away from his family's quality of life. Yes, I own three C3's right now but my two 40+ year old children have families of their own and are no longer under my care.
:beatdeadh orse:
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod

JIM
Best post on the topic!

I agree 100%.

They are the real deal off the screen.. I've met a few of them myself.

Quick Reply: How Many Of You "Beat On" Your C3's?