C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:24 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Default 1980 Spare Tire

Got underneath the vette this afternoon to check the fluid level in the rear and got sidetracked with pulling the spare down. I was pretty sure it was the original, so it had to come down. Yea, it was loaded with dry rot and even had the glue outline of a label on it.
Has anybody tried getting a full size spare up into an 80'? If not, what is used in it's place.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:53 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
Got underneath the vette this afternoon to check the fluid level in the rear and got sidetracked with pulling the spare down. I was pretty sure it was the original, so it had to come down. Yea, it was loaded with dry rot and even had the glue outline of a label on it.
Has anybody tried getting a full size spare up into an 80'? If not, what is used in it's place.

A full size spare won't fit unless the carrier hangers are lengthened.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
WHAT???? You can NOT be SERIOUS!!

So you mean to tell me that GM made it so when you got a FLAT...you left your flat tire on the side of the road???

'BlackC3vette',

IF your wheels are stock and tire sizes stock...put one of your tire/wheel assemblies in and see how it looks and see if you can live with how it looks.

DUB
Old 11-29-2015, 07:10 PM
Reaper19
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Spare Tire Replacement

BlackC3vette I just went through the same with my spare. I bought my 81 last year and the original spare looked new at first glance, then I added air and saw sidewall cracks, not good to ride on. If the car was a full time show car I would just have kept it for originality, but mine is a driver, cruiser, take it to local club functions and shows. So I did not care about NCRS judging. I found the best match and good choice for a spare at Discount Tire, 205/75 R15, GTR Champiro VP1. I just wanted something in case of an emergency if needed. Price was decent $55.00 plus tax, and lifetime balancing, 40,000 mile warranty, free repairs and free road hazard.

I did keep the old spare, just in case someone in the club needed one for a show car, but again I would not drive on it. Hey who knows someone may even want to buy it?

[ATTACH]47Name:  20151104_132311.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  3.04 MBATTACH]
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2015, 07:16 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
You truly know NOTHING........
The following users liked this post:
SH-60B (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Reaper19
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I full size spare will fit in the tray, no need to put on longer hangers, just hangs a little lower. That is where you put your regular flat tire when you put the spare on temporarily.

Last edited by Reaper19; 11-29-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:32 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by briankeery
You truly know NOTHING........
Old 11-29-2015, 08:41 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I assume you have the space saver rim. 15 x 5 . Just buy a 205/75/15 tire as mentioned and mount it. Place it back in the tray and noone will be the wiser.

If you do have a flat, in order for the tire to fit in the tub you will need to loosen the front bolt and drop it a few inches. You will be able to fit the 255 in there for the ride home.

Last edited by BKarol; 11-29-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:16 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks to all for the great information, it's a great time saver. I do have 255 tires, so it's good to know it'll fit for the ride home.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:59 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Just get Hagerty insurance with road side assistance. Be sure that when (or if) you call them be specific and tell them BRING A FLATBED. LOL.

And take that useless spare off, throw it in the garbage. weight savings...

Last edited by htown81vette; 11-29-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:19 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I was missing a spare so I went to a junk yard and purchased the narrowest wheel I could find. Wider than a true spare but narrower than stock wheel. Then purchased a tire with similar overall height to oem.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:11 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by htown81vette
Just get Hagerty insurance with road side assistance. Be sure that when (or if) you call them be specific and tell them BRING A FLATBED. LOL.

And take that useless spare off, throw it in the garbage. weight savings...
Old 11-30-2015, 07:24 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Can not agree about getting rid of a spare tire since it takes so little time to change a flat.

Left the office with a coworker who noticed she had a flat. Called AAA and they said 2-3hour wait. The building is located in the part of city where the most murders, robberies take place & they were locking the doors to the building. I changed the tire in 20 minutes.

A friend needed service from Hagerty for roadside assistance. It took over 2 hours for a flatbed to show up. Then between loading, then driving it home, he lost another hour. He was out 3 hours from work and the distance to drive there from home again would be fruitless because the office would be closed for the day.. He lost an afternoon of pay. Hagerty later apologized.

Perhaps it is different where you live, but I would hate to be waiting on the side of the road or in some parking lot for roadside assistance for hours when I know it is a job I can do. My $.02

Found this on the Hagerty web site in the frequently asked questions. You might want to read your policy to see exactly what they mean:

"Hagerty Plus® provides assistance for changing the wheel and tire with your inflated spare. If you don’t have a spare, our certified dispatch agents will advise you of nearby companies who sell spare tires and will dispatch a tow to get you and your vehicle to the service station."
Old 11-30-2015, 09:22 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I found that a 2004 to 2006 GTO space saver worked great. Fits perfectly in carrier and you can also buy a new temporary spare from Tire rack and use original factory rim.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:34 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by karol
Can not agree about getting rid of a spare tire since it takes so little time to change a flat.
Have you ever tried changing a tire on a C3 Corvette? Using that rinky dink jack that you have to climb over the passenger seat and dig for? And chances are, that pos spare will probably be flat. All this going on while cars, trucks, Semi's flying by you in the very next lane at 80 mph? I have been there done that. No thanks, I'll call a flat bed. Even if have to pay for it out of my own pocket. C3 Corvettes are normally weekend cars when time is really not an issue. *edit* if push comes to shove you can call 911, they will contact the police and THEY will send out a flat bed, I did that and had one within 10 minutes.

Last edited by htown81vette; 11-30-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:52 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Yes, yes, and no ( I bought a new 205/75/15 tire so it won't be flat). Lets not be fools here. Of course if you are on a major highway with cars flying by I would not get out in the road either. I would call for road side assistance, wait, and let them put my spare on and drive home. That is why I have a policy. For me, since I have a spare they can send out a regular truck and not look around for a flatbed.

My point was about being in a situation where you can change it safely and drive home rather than waiting an hour or more for a flatbed. Hagerty had trouble finding a company in the area with a flatbed that would do the job. . I would rather do it myself and be on my way.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have a saying. "Poor planning on your part...does NOT constitute an emergency on MY part."....and ..."Be prepared".

So...spare tires that are not checked and serviced. Who is to blame? And waiting hours for someone to tow your car...well...I guess a person can not complain if that person did not take the steps to make it to where they can change their own tire. And if that same person can not change a tire.....then they should not complain at all. Regardless of the circumstances....because that person should be aware of those circumstances that prohibit being able to do something is a part of their life if it is a physical limitation..

Because oddly enough...on another note...I have customers who only drive their cars in good weather and when they NEED their windshield wipers...they do not work because they have not been cycled in years....and they should be at least cycled during the time a person is washing their car at home. You would be amazed on how many times this occurs. The car stuck in a garage for months at a time and then only taken out when it is nice.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
gungatim (12-02-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 Spare Tire

Quick Reply: 1980 Spare Tire