C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Gauge Jumping

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:28 AM
street.rodder
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amp Gauge Jumping

Working on my '71 project just purchased. Noticed that when turn signals are on the amp gauge ticks left in time with the turn signals flashing. I have gone thru and begun cleaning the grounds as a first point but wondered if anyone has seen this and where I might target my efforts next? Thanks for your input.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:30 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

does this happen at all engine speeds or only at idle? Have you tested the voltage output of the alternator at idle and higher speeds?
The following users liked this post:
street.rodder (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 11:45 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by street.rodder
Working on my '71 project just purchased. Noticed that when turn signals are on the amp gauge ticks left in time with the turn signals flashing. I have gone thru and begun cleaning the grounds as a first point but wondered if anyone has seen this and where I might target my efforts next? Thanks for your input.

What you're seeing is perfectly normal. As the electrical load changes the charge rate also changes. When you apply your brakes you'll see the amp gauge momentarily take a dive then recover and it'll do the same when you turn your headlights on.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:50 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Turn signals or any other 'powered' action will cause the ammeter to "blip" just a bit. If you are getting more significant jumps, it's a good bet that your battery is almost toast (as it has very low capacity to be recharged properly).

Get notified of new replies

To Amp Gauge Jumping

Quick Reply: Amp Gauge Jumping