C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What wideband O2 sensor brand are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 03:55 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Imothph
So - I'm curious if this would work as a temp-install with one of those tail-pipe clamps? Basically, I like the idea of the wide-band 02 sensor for A/F calibration but don't really want (or need) to mount one permanently.

I'm not racing or making passes, etc - ideally I just need something relatively simple that I can move from car-to-car as I'm tuning or replacing parts, etc - driveway calibration, not looking fro mid-run stats or anything like that.

Pretty sure my 12V cigarette lighter ports is non-functional, and even if it works, I don't actually have access to to anymore (wood overlay is thick enough to prevent the top cover from dropping and exposing the socket and ashtray).

Thanks,

Allan.
Actually, it's a pretty neat little gauge to have on top of your column. It's also mildly entertaining, as it does a prestart count down (1 through 9), then the display shows "AEM", then U06 and sweeps the digital dial in both directions and finally, shows the A/F ratio. This takes about two seconds. Also, for me, it's not a temporary deal, it's a must have, because it's told me, when I have a misfire (even when I couldn't detect it) and you get to know your car's behavior, dealing with it. You'll always know, what your car is doing.

Last edited by F22; 12-01-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Imothph
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
Actually, it's a pretty neat little gauge to have on top of your column. It's also mildly entertaining, as it does a prestart count down (1 through 9), then the display shows "AEM", then U06 and sweeps the digital dial in both directions and finally, shows the A/F ratio. This takes about two seconds. Also, for me, it's not a temporary deal, it's a must have, because it's told me, when I have a misfire (even when I couldn't detect it) and you get to know your car's behavior, dealing with it. You'll always know, what your car is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me1N4jghxpE

I think if I were just looking at one car I might consider just adding it as a perm-install, but I have a few cars that could use this tool and I'm always picking up something else and selling an existing car, etc, so it would be better If I had a "portable" version for the tailpipe rather than a perm-install.

That is pretty cool though.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:08 PM
Rcdizy
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default AFR Gauge

I am considering mounting a Innovate AFR gauge under the hood so it is visible through the L88 hood cowl while sitting in the car.

This way the interior stays stock, and i don't have to drill wires through the firewall etc.

Do you think the gauge itself will withstand the under-hood temps?
Old 03-28-2016, 09:59 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
I have the AEM analog version. It was plug and play. Nobody's discussed this but based on the large dynamic range I would probably get a headache trying to mentally average the A/F digital value. Analog is much easier to get a feel for where the ratio spends its time. I spent some time thinking about mounting it where the clock is and I actually designed a face that matched the font and format of the OE gauges. In the end I also needed a fuel pressure gauge so decided on something different. I did find it was a little tricky changing the gauge face from the supplied white to the alternative black face.

Nice setup. Where did you get the radio replacement faceplate ?
Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1M21Vette
Nice setup. Where did you get the radio replacement faceplate ?
Bargain bin in the local plastic store - Tap Plastics. It had the right texture

I don't quite remember the mounting details. If you want to know more I'll poke around. But I think from the backside I made kind of a sandwich to secure the gauge. Obviously I dispensed with a radio. Have some 9000 tunes on the iPod which I mostly can't hear unless I am sitting in traffic.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:54 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcdizy
I am considering mounting a Innovate AFR gauge under the hood so it is visible through the L88 hood cowl while sitting in the car.

This way the interior stays stock, and i don't have to drill wires through the firewall etc.

Do you think the gauge itself will withstand the under-hood temps?
Yes, that way you can use while tuning the engine.

I already regretted mounting it inside the car, it would be more useful in the engine compartment.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:35 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Danish Shark

I already regretted mounting it inside the car, it would be more useful in the engine compartment.
I was ready to permanently install my AEM AFR guage in place of the clock but you raised a good point on ease of tuning. I think once my tuning is completed I'll just remove the O2 sensor and plug it along with disconnecting the temporary wiring of the guage. Then every spring I can reconnect to check AFR which shouldn't change unless something like timing or carb is adjusted.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:54 AM
Rcdizy
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Danish Shark

I emailed Innovate. They told me that the gauge itself was not designed to withstand engine temperatures or the elements. I am not concerned about water. I wonder how hot it actually gets under there . I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try it anyways against their recommendations
Old 03-29-2016, 11:05 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Not hot enough to melt anything. A lot of air circulates around the engine compartment removing a lot of heat.

Quick Reply: What wideband O2 sensor brand are you using?