C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam for stock L48

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 04:33 PM
kdkk07
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam for stock L48

OK I'm about to install new Chrome timing chain cover so since I'm halfway there I thought about installing a new cam. In the last month I have refresh the old heads. Installed an edelbrock rpm performer intake and re-built the Q-jet carburetor. Installed hooker headers. Advanced the timing useing Lars info.
My ? is what Cam can I install with what I have which really a stock motor with bolt-ons. Is there a Cam that can use the stock lifters?
Also what muffler do you recommend, looking for something a little quieter that 40 seires flowmasters.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:28 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kdkk07
OK I'm about to install new Chrome timing chain cover so since I'm halfway there I thought about installing a new cam. In the last month I have refresh the old heads. Installed an edelbrock rpm performer intake and re-built the Q-jet carburetor. Installed hooker headers. Advanced the timing useing Lars info.
My ? is what Cam can I install with what I have which really a stock motor with bolt-ons. Is there a Cam that can use the stock lifters?
Also what muffler do you recommend, looking for something a little quieter that 40 seires flowmasters.

If you're running the stock rear gears I would install an RV cam that has a higher lift but not much more duration. Rumpety rumpety cams may sound really cool but they need lower gears and higher compression to work.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:46 PM
kdkk07
7th Gear

RV cam will that give more torque. I am lookin for a little more in the seat feeling.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:21 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kdkk07
I'd replace the pushrods and lifters if you replace the cam so they all wear in together. Make sure you use a high ZDDP oil, especially during break-in of a flat tappet cam. Suggestions for RV cam should work. Unless you went to threaded rocker studs and put in guide plates when you refreshed your heads you really can't go too radical with the cam anyway as with stock style push in studs and no guide plates things usually won't hold up too long with a big cam.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:36 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you change the valve springs when you "refreshed" the heads?If not then you would need to do the springs as well.

Have you driven it since the headers and distributor tuning?That should have made a big difference.

I would consider saving my money and doing a heads/cam package down the road.

As for mufflers the Dynomax super turbo gives a good note without being obnoxious.
The Dynomax VT will be quiet at cruise and around town but scream when you mash the pedal hard.Other options like magnaflow or the dynomax ultraflo will be louder but not as bad as the flowmasters.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:54 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 362 Likes on 250 Posts

Comp Cams XE256H. is a great cam for that motor w/stock heads
Old 11-30-2015, 09:07 PM
kdkk07
7th Gear

Ok thanks for the info. I think I will wait until I buy new heads
Old 12-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

the GM 151 hydraulic cam....,,,,hard to beat......
Old 12-01-2015, 11:05 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

torque IS what presses you back in the seat and gives you that feeling
Head upgrades are nice but why not just change springs and go wih the 256 cam it will run well. Dont want to throw a ton at a stock motor like that...spice it up some then drive it while you build something bigger

Last edited by cv67; 12-01-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:43 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I tried the cam with stock heads when I first got my Vette many years ago and was disappointed, not really much change in power. I would save and you could go with aftermarket heads and cam, that's where you really feel the difference.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:13 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I tried the cam with stock heads when I first got my Vette many years ago and was disappointed, not really much change in power. I would save and you could go with aftermarket heads and cam, that's where you really feel the difference.
All these upgrades (intake, cam, heads, exhaust, ignition) work together to get maximum benefit. If you only do part of the system the things you do will generally not reach their full potential.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:17 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Do you have an Automatic or Manual. Big difference in how to set up, because with the Auto, it's best to upgrade to a quality torque converter to get all you'd want out of it. The L48 is like any typical SBC. And as softwarejanitor pointed out, it's best to do all the upgrades at once.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam for stock L48

Quick Reply: Cam for stock L48