C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three inch exhaust opinions.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Three inch exhaust opinions.....

Most guys don't think a three inch system is necessary, but there are a few of us that are knocking out some serious power. I am finally ready to redo my exhaust system, and want some opinions on what mufflers and pipe configurations sound reasonable, and of course flow well.

I have a 406 with a solid flat tappet cam 254@.050, AFR 195 heads and for years have run a cobbled together three inch system with Edelbrock RPM mufflers. They are now unavailable, so I'm trying to get something else with a similar sound, and flow capacity. There is no drone, or resonance in my current setup.

So I finally found a shop local to me that can actually mandrel bend three inch stainless pipe, and hopefully soon will have my new system. He asked me to YouTube some Magnaflow sound clips to get an idea of what I was looking for, and to be honest.....I'm not a big fan. Best sounding mufflers I found was the Pypes Violators.

Any suggestions? Also I can do either X-pipe, or H-pipe configurations. I'm looking for that old school muscle car sound......actually more like L-88 cam sound if you know what that means.

If you have a fairly stout combination, and maybe sound clips,....I'd love to hear them.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:29 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I am not a fan of the sound of any glass/ceramic packed mufflers.... I don't like the rasp and glassy sound from them, especially on something that makes some power...(magnaflows, ultraflos, borlas).. The only ones that sounded decent to me were the Pypes RacePros, and they are even a bit more raspy then I like but, overall, they sound the best out of the packed mufflers.

I use the Hooker Aerochambers, they are a straight thru design, but they have a single "chamber" and a ceramic packed section. They have a deep, unique sound and not raspy sounding at all. Just a deep base sound. They do drone just a bit at the 1700-1800 range, but below and especially above that, they are quiet inside.

If I didn't run these, I would run the Pypes RacePros.

All depends on the sound you like and what you're looking for. Definitely stick with a 3" straight thru design, run an X pipe and do mandrel bends of possible.

For anything 500hp or more, I would stick with 3" exhaust.

Sound clip at idle/wot. I admit, the mic on the camera makes the car sound a little louder then what it really is tho...

Last edited by ajrothm; 12-01-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Are you wanting the tone of the L88 or the full effect?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:02 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

I just put the 1 7/8 inch headers on and took a short clip of it idling with open headers. Like what I'm hearing......but I do need some muffler to be able to drive it on the street.

http://themoneypit.bugs3.com/gallery/vette%20idle.mp3

And yes.....I'm looking for the full L-88 effect.

Last edited by The Money Pit; 12-01-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

I have a 3" 304 Stainless system. I built it myself. I have Borla 3" in Twin 1 1/2" out Mufflers. Then again, maybe they are 2" out. Anyway one would think that a Glass packed Muffler would sound just like any other ( Cherry Bomb ) muffler but I don't think they do. I like a Car that is quite, something that is not easy to do with 3". But I have Turbo Chargers, Cats, and then the Largest Borlas that I could fit. Sorry, no sound clip, that's a little to high tech for me, and besides what I have is not what your after. Beware, putting 3" Exhaust under the rear end is going to reduce ground clearance. This might not sound like much, what's another 1/2 inch, but I bottom out all the time and my Exhaust has the Scares to show it. And if You go all Stainless its going to be heavy.
L-88 Sound, I think I know just what You mean. As a teenager I knew somebody with a built 427 side oiler Boss Mustang ( only ford I have ever herd that sounded good) that had the sound. A buddy of mine has a 71 Firebird with some 468 CI and Headers with Flowmasters. Its close to what I remember the Mustang sounding like. The owner of the Firebird sez His car doesn't sound anywhere near as good as somebody he knew with an LS-7 in a Chevelle . I think the secrete to " the sound " is big CI, High Compression, Thin Wall Headers, and just the right Cam. Mufflers are important to...but I think the above makes the right combination, the muffers just tune it to personal taste.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:23 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I've got 3.5" RacePro's on mine. This is the latest version...but there's some spinning snail looking things in front of them these days. Didn't really seem to change sound a lot. Of course it's only got 9.0 compression and a 248* cam on a 114 LSA, so that tames it some.

A buddy of mine has about the sweetest sounding small block I know. It's a 388" we built...about 11.0 compression...248* cam on a 109 LSA. It's only got 2.5" pipes and 2 chamber Flowmasters...but I really like it for the sound.

The playing on the street version was N/A. The dyno one is turbo'd. BTW- it made just as much power capped up as it did uncapped!

View My Video

JIM
Old 12-02-2015, 01:15 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

427. 510RWHP 1 7/8" primary Kooks headers into 3" manderal bend pipe, X-pipe, and out duel Borla 3" in duel 2" out mufflers.... ZERO drone.... NOT raspy..... Mellow on the freeway... Until you open her up... Sounds like a cross between a inde 500 car and a muscle car... My sons and I race/run 5 different vettes... We, my sons their friends and I, all agree this one sounds the best.. But... As beauty is in the eye... Sound is in the ear of the beholder...

Below is sound clip on dyno, click pic:

Last edited by pauldana; 12-02-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
I just put the 1 7/8 inch headers on and took a short clip of it idling with open headers. Like what I'm hearing......but I do need some muffler to be able to drive it on the street.

http://themoneypit.bugs3.com/gallery/vette%20idle.mp3

And yes.....I'm looking for the full L-88 effect.
Part of the full effect will probably not have an xpipe as i doubt the L88s had them, and we know that xpipes have the tendency to mellow out how a cam sounds. If that is what you really want couldn't you just buy an L88 exhaust system?
Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I am not a fan of the sound of any glass/ceramic packed mufflers.... I don't like the rasp and glassy sound from them, especially on something that makes some power...(magnaflows, ultraflos, borlas).. The only ones that sounded decent to me were the Pypes RacePros, and they are even a bit more raspy then I like but, overall, they sound the best out of the packed mufflers.

I use the Hooker Aerochambers, they are a straight thru design, but they have a single "chamber" and a ceramic packed section. They have a deep, unique sound and not raspy sounding at all. Just a deep base sound. They do drone just a bit at the 1700-1800 range, but below and especially above that, they are quiet inside.

If I didn't run these, I would run the Pypes RacePros.

All depends on the sound you like and what you're looking for. Definitely stick with a 3" straight thru design, run an X pipe and do mandrel bends of possible.

For anything 500hp or more, I would stick with 3" exhaust.

Sound clip at idle/wot. I admit, the mic on the camera makes the car sound a little louder then what it really is tho...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIkFIlgkqmA

I second the Aerochambers. I just had a custom stainless system built for my car and he talked me into the Aerochambers and they sound great and, according to him, don't lose any more power than any other muffler. Mine is a 3 inch system with an H pipe.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 12-02-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

I did 2.5" and dynomax VTs after we put them on my friends Malibu with 3 in. Here is my car with them.

Last edited by Kacyc3; 12-02-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:17 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

I have a 3" system with Magnaflow mufflers. It fits like stock, but is a little lower due to the larger diameter pipes. It's an automatic, and the pipes fit through the stock crossmember (though I like ajrothm's set-up much better!). I also found 3" exhaust tips at Summit which match the stock set-up. A local custom exhaust shop bent the pipes to fit, similar to stock bends.

Pics....

Link to soundclip......

Last edited by C3 Stroker; 08-19-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:54 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I couldn't find my 3.5 in and out, but these are 3 inch in and out. My headers are hooker super Comp 1 3/4. straight back 3 inch diameter pipe with a 4 inch oval "H" pipe back by the differential. 4 inch diameter chrome tips out straight back.

Behind a moving car is a lower pressure area. Having the exhaust tips end in the low pressure area helps. You see this on race cars.

Amazon.com: Cherry Bomb 88105 Vortex Muffler: Automotive Amazon.com: Cherry Bomb 88105 Vortex Muffler: Automotive

Last edited by gkull; 12-02-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:40 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
I second the Aerochambers. I just had a custom stainless system built for my car and he talked me into the Aerochambers and they sound great and, according to him, don't lose any more power than any other muffler. Mine is a 3 inch system with an H pipe.
Are you having any sort of drone issue with your setup?
I do like the sound of the Aerochambers, my only concern with them would be that the case is not stainless, like I plan to do the pipes with. I know it's more money, but the headers are stainless and look great. Be a shame to see rusty pipes in a few years.

Also with the H pipe setup,....hows the sound compare with Ajrothm's?
I know that cam,compression and displacement will alter the tone some.

C3Stroker I envy you being able to drop by Summit. My stepson went to Kent and I stopped in Summit only once while in the area. I was like a kid in a candy store..........

Last edited by The Money Pit; 12-02-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:40 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Hooker Aerochamber should be similar to those edelbrocks
Had them on a 460 5.0 mustang yrs ago nice sound to them
Old 12-02-2015, 10:02 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

I do like the sound of the Aerochambers, my only concern with them would be that the case is not stainless, like I plan to do the pipes with. I know it's more money, but the headers are stainless and look great. Be a shame to see rusty pipes in a few years.

C3Stroker I envy you being able to drop by Summit. My stepson went to Kent and I stopped in Summit only once while in the area. I was like a kid in a candy store..........
Honestly I haven't driven the car much yet but don't notice any drone. I sprung for the polished stainless Aerochambers as well. My system sounds great, very low rumble. Very different than glass pack sound. My builder who is a very renowned header builder does not see an advantage to an x over an h pipe until very high hp numbers. Not sure on the sound difference between the two but I love the low rumble. Below is a link with pictures in the first post in a thread I started when I got my car back.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-improved.html

Last edited by 69ttop502; 12-02-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
427. 510RWHP 1 7/8" primary Kooks headers into 3" manderal bend pipe, X-pipe, and out duel Borla 3" in duel 2" out mufflers.... ZERO drone.... NOT raspy..... Mellow on the freeway... Until you open her up... Sounds like a cross between a inde 500 car and a muscle car... My sons and I race/run 5 different vettes... We, my sons their friends and I, all agree this one sounds the best.. But... As beauty is in the eye... Sound is in the ear of the beholder...

Below is sound clip on dyno, click pic:

No sound

[URL=http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt16/pauldana21/IMG_7607_zpsd58a99dc.mp4][/UR

No sound
Old 12-03-2015, 08:39 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Aerochambers are stainless.

Get notified of new replies

To Three inch exhaust opinions.....

Old 12-03-2015, 10:42 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
No sound
Sorry:-) got to get used to youtube uploading...

Last edited by pauldana; 12-03-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:59 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

I found this video showing a vette with Pypes Violators cruising. I don't think it sounds bad at all, but I'm not sure how much louder a three inch system would be with my 406. I believe the one in this video is 2 1/2 inch.

Last edited by The Money Pit; 12-03-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Here - different sound - chambered & resonators at the very rear. This is a 2.25" system with 2.5" tail pipes. McLaren-built motor.

Last edited by Chambered; 12-05-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Three inch exhaust opinions.....