C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Identifying Wire 69 L-36

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:16 PM
dshawster
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help Identifying Wire 69 L-36

I have a pink (maybe orange) wire on the drivers side engine compartment that I cannot figure out where to connect it. I traced the wire back to the fuse panel where it is connected to a spade terminal in the middle of the block, it comes out and has a white plastic splitter with a spade connector that is not connected to anything. It then goes into the engine compartment where it has a connector that appears to go onto a button connector. Being that it comes off the fuse panel like it does I would assume it is an aftermarket wire except that the wire looks older and original to the car. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images      
Old 12-01-2015, 10:01 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

not a stock wire set up. could be an after market electronic ingnition, or a e choke
Old 12-02-2015, 12:14 AM
dshawster
Instructor

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
not a stock wire set up. could be an after market electronic ingnition, or a e choke
Thanks!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi d,
You're right though, the type of connector and the asphalt loom on the wire does make it look like it's an old original wire… perhaps originally intended for the temperature sender(?).
But then used for another purpose in this case.
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-02-2015, 09:39 AM
ralphspears
Melting Slicks

Received 748 Likes on 397 Posts

Looks like the wire that goes to the Idle solenoid does the car have Air Cond or Auto trans ?
Old 12-02-2015, 12:12 PM
dshawster
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi d,
You're right though, the type of connector and the asphalt loom on the wire does make it look like it's an old original wire… perhaps originally intended for the temperature sender(?).
But then used for another purpose in this case.
Regards,
Alan
Thats why I'm not sure since it does look old and original. I have confused this for the temp sender wire many times!
Old 12-02-2015, 12:13 PM
dshawster
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ralph Spears
Looks like the wire that goes to the Idle solenoid does the car have Air Cond or Auto trans ?
It is a manual but does have AC. Where the wire is connected is a 12V switched source, so I don't know how this would work with the AC.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:54 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The wire that is stripped bare and struck in the fuse box is a mickey mouse job.
If the wire is pink and is indeed an AC solenoid wire than below applies.
The wire with the connector should go to the AC fuse with a proper
end terminal. It originally ran along the valley in between the valve cover &
intake manifold on the drivers side and connected to a solenoid that raised the idle when the AC was kicked on.
My 68 BB AC is the same way. I found my wire rolled up like a garden hose and hanging
from a wire loop on the fire wall. PO switched out carbs and didnt think it was necessary.
Marshal
Old 12-02-2015, 02:54 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

My 69 L36 is a 4speed with no air and it doesn't have the wire shown or anything plugged to the ignition spade on the fuse box so I think you are on the right track with the carb AC solenoid.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 PM
dshawster
Instructor

Originally Posted by marshal135
The wire that is stripped bare and struck in the fuse box is a mickey mouse job.
If the wire is pink and is indeed an AC solenoid wire than below applies.
The wire with the connector should go to the AC fuse with a proper
end terminal. It originally ran along the valley in between the valve cover &
intake manifold on the drivers side and connected to a solenoid that raised the idle when the AC was kicked on.
My 68 BB AC is the same way. I found my wire rolled up like a garden hose and hanging
from a wire loop on the fire wall. PO switched out carbs and didnt think it was necessary.
Marshal
I just got done going through the AIM ( I should have looked there first!). The AIM shows the wire for the AC idle solenoid comes off the compressor wiring for 1969, so that eliminates that possibility.
I did find some wiring install in the AIM for other accessories, specifically the anti-theft alarm and speed warning indicator. Both have wires that install into the fuse block that look identical to the one installed in mine, but they're installed in the 'BAT' spade connector not the 'IGN'. Neither one specifies the color of the wire. I don't believe my wire is for either one, as there is no evidence on the car of either option being installed.
I believe the wire was installed at the factory, but for what? Maybe put in by mistake and just left there?
Maybe someone with either of these options can chime in and let us know what color their wire is.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I'm probably not looking at the right wires but here's goes
The wire in the engine compartment covered with the asphalt type sleeve on my 72 would be the temp sender wire for the drivers side of the block (pass side sender is the TCS one) but in my case it's a light green wire. That wire on your might be in the background, just can't tell on the pic.

Inside, the red wire w/ black stripe going into the fuse panel at the IGN terminal with the short jumper (pink or maybe also red w/black) and connector on it is for the power window feed.

But again, that's a 72 BB and maybe not the wires in question
M

Last edited by Mooser; 12-03-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Identifying Wire 69 L-36

Quick Reply: Help Identifying Wire 69 L-36