C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Valve Cover Gasket Installation Tip

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 05:30 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default A Valve Cover Gasket Installation Tip

Having built turbocharged/aftercooled diesel engines as my profession for almost two decades and countless automotive engines along the way and since I have learned a few things about preventing oil leaks; namely the use of RTV as a primary sealant. I found by using RTV to bond the gasket to the valve cover and then smearing a "dam" in front of the gasket oil cannot leak between the gasket and the valve cover; the cause of most valve cover leaks. You see, when a valve cover gasket leaks its never between the gasket and the head but rather between the gasket and the valve cover because of the valve cover's smooth surface. Its best to use a high temperature RTV that can withstand continuous temperatures of 250 degrees or more because the valve covers get HOT.
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
Having built turbocharged/aftercooled diesel engines as my profession for almost two decades and countless automotive engines along the way and since I have learned a few things about preventing oil leaks; namely the use of RTV as a primary sealant. I found by using RTV to bond the gasket to the valve cover and then smearing a "dam" in front of the gasket oil cannot leak between the gasket and the valve cover; the cause of most valve cover leaks. You see, when a valve cover gasket leaks its never between the gasket and the head but rather between the gasket and the valve cover because of the valve cover's smooth surface. Its best to use a high temperature RTV that can withstand continuous temperatures of 250 degrees or more because the valve covers get HOT.
If you ever did that working for me, I would fire you on the spot. The only people I ever see doing something like this are backyard mechanics. This is ridiculous.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:35 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 76Rat
If you ever did that working for me, I would fire you on the spot. The only people I ever see doing something like this are backyard mechanics. This is ridiculous.
Hey 76
He uses RTV for nearly everything. Did you see his tip to use engine RTV instead of heat sink compound to install HEI modules? Of course, he did drill a hole in the distributor cap and firewall so he could hook up a tube to his A/C and keep it cool.......
Old 12-11-2015, 11:22 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Have fun cleaning that up later.

I don't build engines but I do all my own maintenance. I just use 3M weather stripping adhesive on the cover to the gasket then drop it in place.

Never had a leak.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:48 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 74modified
Hey 76
He uses RTV for nearly everything. Did you see his tip to use engine RTV instead of heat sink compound to install HEI modules? Of course, he did drill a hole in the distributor cap and firewall so he could hook up a tube to his A/C and keep it cool.......
Thanks, I'll have to look them up. I'm always up for a good laugh.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:36 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

joke
Old 12-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Next time-use some painters tape and it will look SOOO much better-

Old 12-11-2015, 02:57 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You serve no useful purpose on this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To A Valve Cover Gasket Installation Tip

Quick Reply: A Valve Cover Gasket Installation Tip