C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prep for Startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Trent McInturff
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prep for Startup

Hi everyone, I'm getting ready to start up a '68 C3 327 for the first time in 25 years. Motor had been rebuilt but never started, still spins over though and the bores look pristine.

So far, some of the steps I need to take include:

Install vacuum advance line (need ID of hose)
Install last 8" of missing rubber fuel line (3/8" right?)
Take carb bowls off and check for cleanliness (original Quadrajet, looks very good on outside)
Get a good break in oil, filter
Prime oil system with a drill

I'm running an HEI distributor, which should work but it rubs the air filter housing/base (original).

I'm not sure whether to fill the tank up with a little gas for startup or try to add fuel right around the carb. Where would be the best place to do that?

One of my biggest questions is what to do about valve lash, since they are hydraulic. I suppose I could prime the oil system, turn over the motor a few time and check to see if the lifters pumped up, and repeat.

Anything I missed or suggestions?
Old 12-11-2015, 10:26 AM
A88FXRS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Trent McInturff
Hi everyone, I'm getting ready to start up a '68 C3 327 for the first time in 25 years. Motor had been rebuilt but never started, still spins over though and the bores look pristine.

Take carb bowls off and check for cleanliness (original Quadrajet, looks very good on outside)

I'm running an HEI distributor, which should work but it rubs the air filter housing/base (original).

I'm not sure whether to fill the tank up with a little gas for startup or try to add fuel right around the carb. Where would be the best place to do that?

One of my biggest questions is what to do about valve lash, since they are hydraulic. I suppose I could prime the oil system, turn over the motor a few time and check to see if the lifters pumped up, and repeat.

You can preset hyd lifter valve lash before startup on all cylinders. see the chart in the serv manual
Old 12-11-2015, 10:32 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

The hydraulic lifter got adjusted when the engine was rebuilt so merely priming the system is all you need to do; that and fresh gasoline after any old gasoline is removed.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:08 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If it was mine, after 25 years, I would remove the intake and lifters and put lube on the cam/lifters. Anyway, check lash, pre-lube, and set timing, add gas to carb vent to fill bowl - then run to break in cam following cam break in procedures - RPM/time. Look in the fuel tank and check it out, if not good, you could connect the fuel pump temporarily to a portable container. Good Luck

Last edited by 74modified; 12-11-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:18 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

"Take carb bowls off and check for cleanliness (original Quadrajet, looks very good on outside)"
A Quadrajet does not have carb bowls that can be removed
Old 12-11-2015, 11:30 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

If the Q jet has been sitting for 25 years I'd have it rebuilt 1st.

I agree with 74modified. I would redo the lifters with break in lube. Don't use the Comp Cams water. Get one that's thick and will stick.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Trent McInturff
Cruising

Originally Posted by MelWff
"Take carb bowls off and check for cleanliness (original Quadrajet, looks very good on outside)"
A Quadrajet does not have carb bowls that can be removed
Oops, I guess I'm just used to rebuilding CB750 carbs, I'm new to Vettes. I don't think this carb has seen a drop of gas since it was rebuilt.

I've already pulled the intake for other work, and the lifters had a nice coating of break in lube on them. However, now the lash is out and I'll have to reset it. I don't think they had any oil in them, the builder really should have soaked them in oil for a while before installing.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:38 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Check the tank for crap or bad fuel and fix that.

Good oil and break-in additive.

You do fill the fuel bowls down the vent tubes. Just pour a little down each one.

Have a fire extinguisher handy.

Be ready to adjust the timing if it starts.

Double and triple check everything. All bolts are tight. Hoses are tight. Belts are good. Accessories all spun freely.

As for the lifters;

Having oil in the lifters isn't required to set the lash. You have hit zero lash when you just start to compress the plunger in the lifter and you can tell that point if you are careful.

There is a spring in the lifter so the dry lifters will still spring and be somewhat loose. If you go far enough that everything goes tight then you have gone to far.

If you have a hard time telling when you have hit zero lash then try this. Lift-up on the valve end of the rocker hard enough to take any possible slack out of the pushrod and lifter side. Hold the rocker on the outside between your thumb and finger, hand towards the outside of the head. Then, using the other hand, tap hard on the valve end of the rocker with a finger. You will get a tick or click when the rocker hits the valve if there is still slack or lash. With your one hand in the right spot, you can use it to hold the rocker while running the wrench and tapping with the other hand making the adjustment go fairly quickly and accurately.
The following users liked this post:
Trent McInturff (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Trent McInturff
Cruising

Thanks for the help guys. I just picked up everything I need to finish up all the fuel line, radiator hose, and vac advance. Going to try to start it up tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully all goes well.

Get notified of new replies

To Prep for Startup

Quick Reply: Prep for Startup