C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 corvette random stall help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:14 AM
cody82vette
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 corvette random stall help

I bought my car about a year ago been good till last couple month's. It randomly die's loses injector pulse. I have check fuse's replaced the ecm tune up etc. Im tired of the crossfire at this point. It will start from cold usually fine. Sit and idle for 15 min or so and suddenly dies and no restart. Will start if i put gas in the throttle body but will not stay running. Has no fuel pulse. Fuel pump is working and has good pressure. Any idea's what to look at next
Old 01-05-2016, 05:54 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cody82vette
I bought my car about a year ago been good till last couple month's. It randomly die's loses injector pulse. I have check fuse's replaced the ecm tune up etc. Im tired of the crossfire at this point. It will start from cold usually fine. Sit and idle for 15 min or so and suddenly dies and no restart. Will start if i put gas in the throttle body but will not stay running. Has no fuel pulse. Fuel pump is working and has good pressure. Any idea's what to look at next

It had fuel pressure WHEN YOU CHECKED IT but chances are the fuel pump relay is bad because of burned contacts and that's why its suddenly quitting on you. The relays begin failing at around the 90,000 mile mark so if you have anywhere near that amount replace the relay. Also the inline fuel filter mounted to the passenger side frame rail is a 25 micron filter and it plugs easily. So its best to replace it if you have ANY fuel delivery problem.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:04 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If you haven't made the few upgrades that are listed in the sticky for crossfire, it will be unreliable. I've been running mine for over 10 years as a daily driver without any issues.
It sounds like you have a massive vacuum leak. Most likely from the plenum gasket if you never upgraded to the felpro gasket. I wouldn't spend too much time on the fuel pressure. You wouldn't get 15 minutes of run time if fuel pressure was an issue.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:09 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

the fuel pump can run but not give you enough pressure to run very well .how have you checked the pressure?
Old 01-07-2016, 03:18 AM
Larry Clark
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default random stalls

The crossfire has a few sensors that you may need to check, it sounds like the temp sensor may be the one you check first. If the eng starts up cold and only runs for a few minutes it could be temp sensor. With the intion on check to see if you got 5 amps going to temp sensor located on the front of the intake manifold below the radator hose going to intake manifold. Try this and see what you get, if there isnt any voltage going to the sensor the engine will not run very long. When the engine is first started the ecm is in close loop position until it get voltage from the temp sensor.

LW

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 corvette random stall help

Quick Reply: 1982 corvette random stall help