C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

making a short hood a long hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:02 PM
M Pete
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Did i help the pain of 1200 any?
Hmmm, a little, but I still want it! I have an 80 so this would fit right up, assuming that the work is good. The other reason I would not spend the cash on this is that once it is shipped down there is no way to return other than pay another $300 if fitment is terrible.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:03 PM
M Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
This is the hood i want..
Hell, I want the whole car!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:04 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by M Pete
Hmmm, a little, but I still want it! I have an 80 so this would fit right up, assuming that the work is good. The other reason I would not spend the cash on this is that once it is shipped down there is no way to return other than pay another $300 if fitment is terrible.
The hood you posted looks very well made, fit car to car is hit or miss,
I havent a clue where it made off to but 20 years back i had a cut out from a stock hood scoop, no, doesnt help now and i agree they are hard to find, i flip flop a lot on my 69 i have an l88 hood for now, if i really wanted the long lt1 bb scoop like you do start hunting cl ebay in this case doesnt matter if the short hood is aftermarket, you buy it and cut the scoop from it and cut out and glass into your hood which is known to fit your car, one warning you might end up with a hair less air cleaner space....
Perhaps call artie over at stinger fiberglass, they do all ecklers hoods ask him would he make you just a scoop or top skin from a lt1 hood, he just might, worth a call,
The following users liked this post:
M Pete (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:39 AM
Knerf
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

im going to buy one of these, ive been looking for this exact hood.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:09 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

I understand people with 73-82 wanting this cool hood, but i hope no one is doing away with the wiper door,
To me that in a kin to buying a chrome bumper car only to put plastic bumpers in it, the wiper door sets these cars apart with extra cantankerous coolness, of course i plan to open mine with electic not vaccum...
Old 02-24-2017, 06:00 AM
M Pete
Instructor

The hood you posted looks very well made, fit car to car is hit or miss,
I havent a clue where it made off to but 20 years back i had a cut out from a stock hood scoop, no, doesnt help now and i agree they are hard to find, i flip flop a lot on my 69 i have an l88 hood for now, if i really wanted the long lt1 bb scoop like you do start hunting cl ebay in this case doesnt matter if the short hood is aftermarket, you buy it and cut the scoop from it and cut out and glass into your hood which is known to fit your car, one warning you might end up with a hair less air cleaner space....
Perhaps call artie over at stinger fiberglass, they do all ecklers hoods ask him would he make you just a scoop or top skin from a lt1 hood, he just might, worth a call,
Get out of my head! I had planned on contacting Ecklers about that same thing. I didn't know they outsourced to Stinger, I'll just call Artie.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:01 AM
M Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by Knerf
im going to buy one of these, ive been looking for this exact hood.
I think you should too!

It's so easy to spend other people's money
Old 02-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Knerf
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I understand people with 73-82 wanting this cool hood, but i hope no one is doing away with the wiper door,
To me that in a kin to buying a chrome bumper car only to put plastic bumpers in it, the wiper door sets these cars apart with extra cantankerous coolness, of course i plan to open mine with electic not vaccum...
my wiper doors were not present when i got the car, all related hardware missing also. i currently have what looks like a 73 hood on my car and have been looking to replace it with either a long l88 hood but more preferably a long lt1 hood that was, until now, non existent.

i do agree though that the wiper door was one of the cooler pieces of chrome bumper cars and wish i had mine on my car, but for now this is going to be the next best thing.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:55 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Knerf
my wiper doors were not present when i got the car, all related hardware missing also. i currently have what looks like a 73 hood on my car and have been looking to replace it with either a long l88 hood but more preferably a long lt1 hood that was, until now, non existent.

i do agree though that the wiper door was one of the cooler pieces of chrome bumper cars and wish i had mine on my car, but for now this is going to be the next best thing.
Im an odd cat all my life loved to personalize my cars, 30 years ago i wouldnt have trashed a wiper door fast enough, my 69 had a 73-79 modded front clip when i got it long 73 style hood, the look grew on me but rust meant pulling the clip, a fellow wanted it bad so i sold it,
I found the wiper door mech pretty quickly but a good door is hard to find for what i wanna pay, im cheap, the one i have some jack *** used steel sheet metal screws in the holes which became one with the door,
I had to get a l88 hood i need room under there but this long lt1 bb hood is sweet, you cant go wrong its not everywhere like um...an l88 hood, lol

Quick Reply: making a short hood a long hood