C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting rid of the smog pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:43 PM
dl5280
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting rid of the smog pump

How can I get rid of the smog pump and still pass the smog test? Let me clarify the fact that I live in Ca. my car is a 1981 Corvette. I know the newer engines don't run smog pumps. I want to know how to make the engine smog legal without the smog pump.

Last edited by dl5280; 01-20-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:23 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dl5280
How can I get rid of the smog pump and still pass the smog test?

To pass the smog test all of the OEM emission equipment must be present along with it passing the sniffer test. Sorry.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:35 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 248 Posts

What yr and what state do you live in?
Old 01-18-2016, 09:59 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Out of curiosity, why do you want to get rid of the pump? There is no performance advantage to deleting it - the A.I.R. pump absorbs almost no power off the engine when it's actually pumping, and operates most of the time (and when the engine is under power) in a free-wheeling condition that takes about as much power as an idler pulley.

You cannot pass a smog test with the pump removed - all smog tests I am aware of include a visual inspection of the components. If you are required to pass smog, you need to keep the pump. Which, again, has no realistic impact on performance.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 01-18-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:03 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

It depends on your local laws. In CA, cars made in 1975 and older are exempt.
If you do remove the smog pump, be sure and save it. You may need it later.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:07 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't know we're your from, but before alaska did away with our smog testing if your vehicle didn't have all the oem smog parts, you would get denied, you could then challenge the decision and pay to have your exhaust anylized if it was as clean as what the oem exhaust was you passed emissions. Some states don't make vehicles over 35 years test.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:01 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...How can I get rid of the smog pump and still pass the smog test?...
Start by asking your emissions testing folks whether you can pass without it.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:35 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

This question cannot be answered since every state's inspection procedure is different.so it depends upon what state you are in. For example, in RI where I am cars are exempt from emissions inspection at 25+ years and older. In Mass next door, no emissions inspection at 15 years and older, others emssions inspection never expires depending on the state etc. In RI there is no visual emission inspection...just need to pass the sniffer if you qualify for that inspection, same in Mass..just need to pass regardless of equipment on vehicle. Every state is different.

As for the AIR pump and assorted other clutter, it does not do a whole lot to clean the exhaust (I used to check with and without the AIR pump belt hooked up on inspections way back) and its effect on performance is negligible but when I put my headers on I did note that those ports extend WAY down into the head surely disturb the exhaust exit into the manifold. No real reason to keep it on the car (but do SAVE everything) except originality.

Here is a personal example of an emission part on a newer vehicle and its overall effect on emissions:

Just an FYI...I finally managed to block the EGR valve on my 1994 Mustang GT without setting the check engine light (car has 4 high flow magnaflow cats in the magnaflow X pipe...was all emissions legal up to this point) BUT...this EGR operates at anything off idle all the way to WOT and would cause the engine to knock/ping and get hot (everything was set correctly). Not only did the EGR blocking eliminate all drive ability issues completely but on the sniffer inspection the NOx emissions were SLIGHTLY higher but still well below the limit...I am talking about 10 PPM..makes you wonder....some of this emissions stuff is really ridiculous on old cars, rarely driven AND on newer vehicles some equipment is just overkill as demonstrated on my Mustang...Its crazy

Last edited by jb78L-82; 01-19-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:38 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Sniffer tests don't duplicate actual road conditions.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:52 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
I've never heard of anyone getting a sniffer test whilst driving the car and having an emissions tech running down the road behind the car holding a probe in the tailpipe. HAPPY MOTORING!
The following 2 users liked this post by SH-60B:
76CSRvette (01-21-2016), Jason Staley (01-21-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Originally Posted by SH-60B
I've never heard of anyone getting a sniffer test whilst driving the car and having an emissions tech running down the road behind the car holding a probe in the tailpipe. HAPPY MOTORING!
We have them here in CO. They are located on freeway onramps.Three clean passes a few months before plates are due and no emission test is required.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:23 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by gjohnson
We have them here in CO. They are located on freeway onramps.Three clean passes a few months before plates are due and no emission test is required.
Wow that's interesting. I guess there is a camera that reads your plate as you go by and a sensor reads your emmisions?
Old 01-20-2016, 04:41 PM
dl5280
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What yr and what state do you live in?
I am in Ca. and my car is a 1981 Corvette
Old 01-20-2016, 04:50 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SH-60B
I haven't either.

Thats awesome is it enclosed or something, you got photo's?

I am in Ca. and my car is a 1981 Corvette
Doesn't California have the 33 or 35 year old exemption? I think that they do, when AK did emissions testing most of what they followed was from C.A.R.B. rules with the exception of the 33 year rule, that CA had.

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
Your right, it don't.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:22 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
Wow that's interesting. I guess there is a camera that reads your plate as you go by and a sensor reads your emmisions?
Yep
Old 01-20-2016, 10:32 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

In CA cars built in 1975 and older are exempt. Your 1981 is not. My understanding is you need all the original smog equipment.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:55 PM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 270 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C3 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

I would ask your local V W service centre.

Get notified of new replies

To getting rid of the smog pump

Old 01-21-2016, 12:49 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Just to clarify... In California, even though vehicles 1974 and older are exempt from the smog check program doesn't mean you are allowed to tamper with the emissions system. Removing or otherwise making any emission device inoperable is still illegal, its just not enforced.

Back to the OP question, since you are in California, no, there is no way to remove the smog pump and still pass smog. If you remove the pump and all evidence that it was ever there(brackets, tubing, emissions sticker etc.) you MAY get lucky and get a smog tech that is too lazy to look the car up in the MOTOR manual to find out what its supposed to have on it and assume it didn't have A.I.R. but that is HIGHLY doubtful and still illegal.

There is the option of installing a different engine(same year or newer) along with all its emissions devices, taking to the BAR referee for a referee label, and then taking it in for a smog check(the GM e-rod engine package comes to mind).
The following users liked this post:
76CSRvette (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 01:10 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dugsgms74
Just to clarify... In California, even though vehicles 1974 and older are exempt from the smog check program doesn't mean you are allowed to tamper with the emissions system. Removing or otherwise making any emission device inoperable is still illegal, its just not enforced.

Back to the OP question, since you are in California, no, there is no way to remove the smog pump and still pass smog. If you remove the pump and all evidence that it was ever there(brackets, tubing, emissions sticker etc.) you MAY get lucky and get a smog tech that is too lazy to look the car up in the MOTOR manual to find out what its supposed to have on it and assume it didn't have A.I.R. but that is HIGHLY doubtful and still illegal.

There is the option of installing a different engine(same year or newer) along with all its emissions devices, taking to the BAR referee for a referee label, and then taking it in for a smog check(the GM e-rod engine package comes to mind).
So California has the referee station as well. Is it the same there that it basically has to pass the pipe test and I'd guess by your post show all the original emissions parts? In this day and age, you can get headers with c.a.r.b. numbers, high flow cats, cams, intakes and an array of higher performance parts with the carb number.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:50 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

You are going to have to leave it.

When it's time you will have a visual check looking for missing parts and Aftermarket upgrades. Timing is checked, EGR works and that you have cats installed.

Then they will load it on the dyno and do a 15 and 25MPH test.

If all is well you pass and are allowed to drive it for another two years.

Quick Reply: getting rid of the smog pump