C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Booster Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:55 AM
czardali
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Booster Issue

I took my car to the shop to get my lugnuts replaced. When I got the car back the brake light was on. I lowered the e-brake and it stayed on so I asked the shop to check it out. They gave me back my car and said that it wasn't locking the car up and everything was fine. So I picked up the car and noticed my brakes were spongey. Didn't have the time to give the car a whirl so I let her sit for two days and finally took her out. I backed into a parking space and put it in park and radiator fluid started shooting out. I raced home and noticed my fan shroud had punctured my radiator. Upon calling AAA, the car wouldn't get into gear . Brake fluid was leaking through my master cylinder so I had three issues all happen at once!
The shop tells me that I needed a new shifter mechanism, master cylinder and a radiator. I provided them with the brake booster and awaited my car.

1 month in...
The shop says that the brake booster doesn't fit the car.They said that the booster has good vaccum however weren't able to replace it due to my pushrod being to short. The shop mentioned I will need a new brake pedal to reach the booster that is supposed to fit my car. How did this happen?

The car stops but still has some latency to it.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:26 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by czardali
I took my car to the shop to get my lugnuts replaced. When I got the car back the brake light was on. I lowered the e-brake and it stayed on so I asked the shop to check it out. They gave me back my car and said that it wasn't locking the car up and everything was fine. So I picked up the car and noticed my brakes were spongey. Didn't have the time to give the car a whirl so I let her sit for two days and finally took her out. I backed into a parking space and put it in park and radiator fluid started shooting out. I raced home and noticed my fan shroud had punctured my radiator. Upon calling AAA, the car wouldn't get into gear . Brake fluid was leaking through my master cylinder so I had three issues all happen at once!
The shop tells me that I needed a new shifter mechanism, master cylinder and a radiator. I provided them with the brake booster and awaited my car.

1 month in...
The shop says that the brake booster doesn't fit the car.They said that the booster has good vaccum however weren't able to replace it due to my pushrod being to short. The shop mentioned I will need a new brake pedal to reach the booster that is supposed to fit my car. How did this happen?

The car stops but still has some latency to it.
Wow, what a friggin nightmare. I have no suggestions for you except to commiserate. I long ago got fed up with shops f'ing up my cars, so now I do all my own work. Sorry to hear about your trouble.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 AM
czardali
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finding the right part for the car before it malfunctions is the goal but by the looks of it he says its modified. how the heck can a brake booster be modified?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Staylor63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts

I feel for you! If it were me I would get your car towed from that shop...pronto!!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Staylor63
I feel for you! If it were me I would get your car towed from that shop...pronto!!
Old 01-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

There are differences in boosters. Replacing the rod is not required if you have the correct booster.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:21 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

if you had a leaking master cylinder why are you replacing the booster?
Old 01-22-2016, 01:24 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If your "shop" can't deal with altering the length of a M/C pushrod, you need to find a new "shop".

I wouldn't take my car to that place, if Donald Trump offered to pay the bill!

Find a shop that knows what they are doing. Call some car clubs in the area to see who they use.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:42 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Next time you take it to shop tell you don't want anyone driving it, you write the odometer reading on a sticky note and paste it to the speedo glass so all the grease monkeys in the garage know not to take it out and beat the crap out it like it seems they have done here.

You took it in to get the lugnuts replaced and they passed the car from one idiot to the next and they abused it and now you have all these problems.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:49 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

15-1200 is an A1 booster and master cylinder that will work for all 1968-1982 cars with power brakes... it should install just fine in your car.

I have to say... IMHO... All this sounds like hogwash to me; I'd find a new shop. No you don't need a new brake pedal, you don't need a this or that you need a new shop. That boost while a generic booster will install just fine in the car. (Unless it's been boxed wrong by A1 or something)...

The rod on a power brake car is coming out of the back of the booster. There is a clevis that ties the rod to the brake pedal that must be transferred from the old to the new. Once this is completed you should be set to go.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
15-1200 is an A1 booster and master cylinder that will work for all 1968-1982 cars with power brakes... it should install just fine in your car.

I have to say... IMHO... All this sounds like hogwash to me; I'd find a new shop. No you don't need a new brake pedal, you don't need a this or that you need a new shop. That boost while a generic booster will install just fine in the car. (Unless it's been boxed wrong by A1 or something)...

The rod on a power brake car is coming out of the back of the booster. There is a clevis that ties the rod to the brake pedal that must be transferred from the old to the new. Once this is completed you should be set to go.

This shop gives me great concern.

DUB
Old 01-22-2016, 08:31 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by DUB

This shop gives me great concern.

DUB
Exactly...

Get notified of new replies