C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Snorkle Air Cleaner.....Something is Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 01:09 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Dual Snorkle Air Cleaner.....Something is Wrong

I have a 79 that I wanted to put a Dual Snorkel intake on. I bought the Dual Snorkel off the Parts for sale and wanted and was said to be for a 79.

Something is wrong with the center intake section. Look at the picture, you will see the actual intake end has the deflector on the bottom, not the top as I see in other engine pictures here on Corvette Forum. With the air deflector on the bottom, incoming air will be blocked in flow. Also, none of the mount holes come anywhere near and place to mount it. The Center Section does not even sit flush to the fan shroud or fan mounts. The right side piece appears to be correct and the actual air cleaner fits.

So what was this dual snorkel air cleaner used on ? Its pretty obvious the center section is wrong.

For some reason that I dont understand, I cant post a picture today. Please click on the link below, and it will take you right to the picture.

http://photos.imageevent.com/moosecr...al-Snorkle.jpg

Thanks
8Valve
Old 01-20-2016, 04:46 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,814 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Not to clear what you mean by a center section. The air cleaner assembly consists of three pieces. The cover, the base, and the element. In your picture you are missing the hoses that connect the air cleaner base snorkels to the piece on the radiator support and inner fender. I assume what you mean by deflectors are the thermostatically controlled vacuum motors in the snorkels. They have to be connected to vacuum and the controlling switch.

Last edited by MelWff; 01-20-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:00 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
Not to clear what you mean by a center section. The air cleaner assembly consists of three pieces. The cover, the base, and the element. In your picture you are missing the hoses that connect the air cleaner base snorkels to the piece on the radiator support and inner fender. I assume what you mean by deflectors are the thermostatically controlled vacuum motors in the snorkels. They have to be connected to vacuum and the controlling switch.
Or you can do what I have been doing for 35 years with my dual snorkel OEM air cleaner, just leave the doors in the open position and disconnect the vacuum lines. I was looking for a picture of my stock 78 dual snorkel system since I can't tell if yours is correct or not from the pictures. I don't believe the forward plastic piece over the fan area looks like for a C3 since mine is smooth, with no vanes like in the picture I think, and that piece on a 78/79 separates so you can slid the top and bottom between the fan frame section.It then has 2 screws on each side in front of the fan frame to hold the pieces together if that makes any sense.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 01-20-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:07 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 8valve
Something is wrong with the center intake section. Look at the picture, you will see the actual intake end has the deflector on the bottom, not the top as I see in other engine pictures here on Corvette Forum. With the air deflector on the bottom, incoming air will be blocked in flow. Also, none of the mount holes come anywhere near and place to mount it. The Center Section does not even sit flush to the fan shroud or fan mounts. The right side piece appears to be correct and the actual air cleaner fits.

So what was this dual snorkel air cleaner used on ? Its pretty obvious the center section is wrong.

For some reason that I dont understand, I cant post a picture today. Please click on the link below, and it will take you right to the picture.

http://photos.imageevent.com/moosecr...al-Snorkle.jpg

Thanks
8Valve
Are you talking specifically about the plastic duct that sits on top of the radiator?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:15 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I sold the air cleaner to him and explain to him it came off of my 1980 and did not know if it made a difference. And he said he would take it.

Maybe the 1980 and thebreak in 1979 do not interchange.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:23 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies. Maybe my description has caused confusion. I am talking about the plastic piece that sits on top of the radiator. Look at my picture, that plastic piece does not fit anywhere on the radiator top so it will sit down for screws to mount it. More important, look at the front of that plastic piece, where the air enters. See that large flat area ? On mine that large flat area is on the bottom of the opening, on other pictures I find on the forum, that large flat area is on top of the opening.

When its on the bottom, as mine is, it block air flow from the front up and into the plastic piece to be sent to the air cleaner. On the pictures I see on the forum, that large flat pastic area is on top which makes the air turn and flow directly into the plastic piece and then to both snorkel's on the air cleaner. I hope I explained that better.

I am wondering if that plastic piece over the radiator is not for a C3, but some other GM vehicle ?

Thanks for your patience

8Valve
Old 01-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

The plastic piece looks correct. 78-79 cars had a slightly different center piece that looked more like the earlier single snorkel intake.

I have a center piece off an 80 on my 78, it fits fine and looks just like the one pictured. When I get home tomorrow, I can take detailed pictures of the mounting if you'd like. Just eyeballing from your photo, it looks like it's too far rearward.

Here's a picture of another 80 Corvette:

I actually like the looks of the 78-79 radiator piece better, but could not find one in good shape for my car.

OP - I'm fairly sure you need to route the "scoop" underneath the core support. As mentioned, what you have looks like a correct part for a Corvette.

Last edited by Shark Racer; 01-20-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:36 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 574 Likes on 458 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It looks like the right piece but maybe a piece is missing up there.are you doing this for some perceived benifit? If so you will be disappointed except possibly in your mind.
That system was garbage back then and even more so today.do a forum search it's been talked about several times.that dual snorkel doesn't flow anything worthwhile.you may get cooler air,but not enough of it.
If your doing something like a top flight rest than ,never mind
Old 01-20-2016, 06:41 PM
havesometo
Drifting

This is that exact same air cleaner when it was on my car. There's no pieces missing its sitting too close to the engine it needs to slide forward some.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:58 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, I see better now int eh pictures that Shark Racer and havesometo posted. I was comparing my plastic piece to the one in this link

http://photos.imageevent.com/moosecr.../websize/1.jpg

which I got on this forum. They both do the same job, but are mounted different. Thank you, sorry for the confusion.

8Valve
Old 01-20-2016, 07:03 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

In your picture, it looks like the plastic piece is sitting on top of the core support. It should have part of it slipped under the top lip of the core support and part of it over the top. The top and bottom pieces meet in front of the support

Last edited by '75; 01-20-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:06 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
It looks like the right piece but maybe a piece is missing up there.are you doing this for some perceived benifit? If so you will be disappointed except possibly in your mind.
That system was garbage back then and even more so today.do a forum search it's been talked about several times.that dual snorkel doesn't flow anything worthwhile.you may get cooler air,but not enough of it.
If your doing something like a top flight rest than ,never mind
Unfortunately, I agree with you. I went through the dual snorkel conversion on my 450hp 78 and did not notice a lick of difference.

I hope to try the dual and single snorkel back to back on a dyno test at some point just to see if there's a difference.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:06 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Ok, I see better now int eh pictures that Shark Racer and havesometo posted. I was comparing my plastic piece to the one in this link

http://photos.imageevent.com/moosecr.../websize/1.jpg

which I got on this forum. They both do the same job, but are mounted different. Thank you, sorry for the confusion.

8Valve
Old 01-20-2016, 07:09 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Seems everybody's pic here of the piece over the radiator is of the 80-81 style, which IS different than the 78-79 style.
Photobucket is down right now but I'll post a good pic of a "correct" 79 duct when it's back up.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:23 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Ok just got home and pulled the cover off the 78 to check my dual snorkel and yes the 78/79 plastic piece is slightly different then all the pictures here of the 80...as I said above vanes/Square cutouts in your pictures do not exist on the 78/79 pieces. The plastic piece forward of the radiator support is SMOOTH, no vanes/slates. Mine slides between the radiator support...top separates from the bottom and like I said has 2 screws on each side that holds the two pieces together surrounding the radiator frame.

Yes my pictures are on photobucket as well...down at the moment

Last edited by jb78L-82; 01-20-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:36 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I am all set !!! As mentioned above the front of the plastic piece must go under the core support.
My Aim does not show that clearly. I just went tot he shop, slipped the front under the core support, she dropped right in place, screw holes line right up, hood closes fine. Thanks for the help, this forum is so valuable when you get screwed up. As mentioned, I am all set.

One comment to havesometo. I never mentioned I bought it from you, I was not complaining nor dunning the person I got it from. Just did not understand how it fit. You mentioned you sold it to me, otherwise your userid would have never been mentioned. Thanks for your picture

8Valve
Old 01-20-2016, 07:39 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Dual Snorkle Air Cleaner.....Something is Wrong

Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 PM
havesometo
Drifting

I am all set !!! As mentioned above the front of the plastic piece must go under the core support.
My Aim does not show that clearly. I just went tot he shop, slipped the front under the core support, she dropped right in place, screw holes line right up, hood closes fine. Thanks for the help, this forum is so valuable when you get screwed up. As mentioned, I am all set.

One comment to havesometo. I never mentioned I bought it from you, I was not complaining nor dunning the person I got it from. Just did not understand how it fit. You mentioned you sold it to me, otherwise your userid would have never been mentioned. Thanks for your picture

8Valve
I realize you did not post my name but I wanted everyone to know that I sold it to you and I know it was the correct parts. I'm glad you got it to fit correctly and all is good. I've been looking at your website for the interior pictures and all I see is the steering wheel and 1 door panel. Would like to see more pictures maybe it all installed.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:34 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been so busy with my business and squeezing time on the vette, I have not continued to build the 79 web pictures, it will be done, I dont know how soon. The interior parts I got from you look beautiful.....thank you

8Valve

Originally Posted by havesometo
I realize you did not post my name but I wanted everyone to know that I sold it to you and I know it was the correct parts. I'm glad you got it to fit correctly and all is good. I've been looking at your website for the interior pictures and all I see is the steering wheel and 1 door panel. Would like to see more pictures maybe it all installed.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:11 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KapsSA

Bingo! That is the 78/79 correct piece as I mentioned and which I have on my 78 L-82.

Quick Reply: Dual Snorkle Air Cleaner.....Something is Wrong