C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/2 shaft came out of differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:37 PM
David Erb
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1/2 shaft came out of differential

I wanted to lube the u-joint between the differential and the 1/2 shaft. My wheels would only turn about 1/2 a turn in either direction so I couldn't get the grease gun on the fitting. Don't understand this as it was out of gear. I put the lug wrench on a stud and turned hard. The wheel turned past the tight spot but the yoke popped out of the differential over 1/2 inch. IS THIS NORMAL or am I in big trouble? I dropped the car quickly and it went back in. However when jacked back up it came back out. I just put a jack under the shock and lifted the car off the jack stands and it stayed out. Any insight would help me sleep better. Save my 69!!!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:37 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

For the Yoke to come out they would have to be worn past the retaining snap rings. That means that your rear end has lots of metal in the gear oil.

Did the yokes also score the exterior of the diff housing? My original differential went in the dumpster because of housing damage and it didn't even qualify as a returnable core.

It is time to pull it out and inspect.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by David Erb
I wanted to lube the u-joint between the differential and the 1/2 shaft. My wheels would only turn about 1/2 a turn in either direction so I couldn't get the grease gun on the fitting. Don't understand this as it was out of gear. I put the lug wrench on a stud and turned hard. The wheel turned past the tight spot but the yoke popped out of the differential over 1/2 inch. IS THIS NORMAL or am I in big trouble? I dropped the car quickly and it went back in. However when jacked back up it came back out. I just put a jack under the shock and lifted the car off the jack stands and it stayed out. Any insight would help me sleep better. Save my 69!!!
This is normal for a car with original or cheap side yokes.
There is a c clip on the end of the side yoke to prevent the yoke from coming out of the diff. When the tip wears the c clip falls off and allows the yoke to come out. Sorry but you are going to have to remove the diff and make the proper repairs.

See post # 9 this is a picture of a good side yoke. I was lucky once that the clip just poped off as in this post.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-products.html

Last edited by cagotzmann; 01-25-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:44 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Halfshaft hanging out of differential on one side..............

Snap ring missing on extended side (I pushed the piece back into the differential to show the empty groove)...............

Snap ring was behind the ring gear where it couldn't be seen/I "fished" it out to take a pic)............

Being a machinist I reworked the groove to be deeper and square-sided again/still within tolerance on end-play........so I replaced all the seals/bearings were in great shape/no metal or metal "powder" was in the housing/I cleaned, reassembled, and painted the unit..........

Old 01-25-2016, 10:53 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Doorgunner, that was lucky!. That is why I ask if the yoke had worn the outside of the case. That happens when the end of the yoke wares away
Old 01-25-2016, 11:29 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
Doorgunner, that was lucky!. That is why I ask if the yoke had worn the outside of the case. That happens when the end of the yoke wares away

It looked like I caught it in time before the end of the shaft hit the crosspin too many times causing a big gap......like you said---the shoulder of the shaft and the seal dust cover would "eat" into the case.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:28 AM
David Erb
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Sounds like I can't just reach in and snap the snap ring back on again huh?
Years ago I re-shimmed the rear spindle bearings. I thought this movement I had now in the wheel was the problem returning. I checked bearing clearance and it was still okay. When I rocked the wheel I could see the yolk going in and out. So this is the clearance that needs to be reduced? How is that done?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:00 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by David Erb
Thanks guys. Sounds like I can't just reach in and snap the snap ring back on again huh?
Years ago I re-shimmed the rear spindle bearings. I thought this movement I had now in the wheel was the problem returning. I checked bearing clearance and it was still okay. When I rocked the wheel I could see the yolk going in and out. So this is the clearance that needs to be reduced? How is that done?
I know I am going to get beat on for saying this, but I have had many cars over the years with this problem, and ran them like that for years, (missing the snap ring) and never had a problem. They never even leaked! The only time you even knew it was missing is if you jacked the car up.

The outer spindle bearings are shimmed, and you would have to take the bearing apart, and install a thinner shim to tighten them up/ get rid of the play.

Get notified of new replies

To 1/2 shaft came out of differential

Quick Reply: 1/2 shaft came out of differential