C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FWIW I solved my rear unequal ride height

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default FWIW I solved my rear unequal ride height

I have been fighting a rear unequal ride height for a very long time now. The unequal height left to right became worse after mounting a stiffer front stabiliser bar and it started to dawn on me.

Anyway, on our cars, when the front right goes down, the left rear goes up. On the other side, when the left front goes down the left rear goes up.

I always had the front right and right rear sit too high.

This is what I did :

I loosened the stabiliser end links left and right in the front. I then jacked up the left rear so it was equal in height to the right. This made the front sit equal too.
I then mounted my link on the lowest front side, meaning the left front and torqued down the bolt.

When fitting up my end link on the right it would go in. The bar end was too close to the control arm which was to be expected. I shortened the metal tube that goes in between the bushings ca. 15mm and bolted everything down et voila : when taking the jack out everything was almost equal left to right both in the front and in the rear.

Last edited by Belgian1979vette; 02-07-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:54 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Two quick questions...
1) Did you have your approx. weight in the driver's seat?
2) Have you any way to check your cross-weights for wedge?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:09 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Supplementing what TheSkunkWorks said, look here.

http://robrobinette.com/corner_weight_calc.htm

However to do this right you will need to borrow a set of corner weight scales somewhere and plunk the car down on them. You are on the right track but unless your frame is bent somehow, you probably have an unequal length or weak spring somewhere.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Two quick questions...
1) Did you have your approx. weight in the driver's seat?
2) Have you any way to check your cross-weights for wedge?
Answer to the first is no.

What do you mean with 'wedge'
Old 02-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ignatz
Supplementing what TheSkunkWorks said, look here.

http://robrobinette.com/corner_weight_calc.htm

However to do this right you will need to borrow a set of corner weight scales somewhere and plunk the car down on them. You are on the right track but unless your frame is bent somehow, you probably have an unequal length or weak spring somewhere.
I do not have a scale set. However based on the print of the tires, it was pretty evident certain tires were loaded more than others.

Basically without cornering a stabiliser bar shouldn't be 'loaded'

I don't think there is a weak spring either. Body off resto, so almost everything is new, especially the spring in the rear.

Last edited by Belgian1979vette; 02-07-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:02 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette
.....What do you mean with 'wedge'
"Wedge" is the inequality in diagonal cross weights. By playing with this setting, oval trackers use the inequality in order to get the car to turn left. On a road racer, or street car, you want this to be as equal as possible.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:33 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

In as much as it is practical to do, a performance vehicle's all-up weight should be factored into the equation when doing alignment, ride heights and/or corner weights. For setup work I suggest simulating driver's weight with tube sand or barbell weights and 1/2 a tank gas on board.

Yes, as leadfoot4 said, "wedge" refers to differing cross-weights (LF+RR vs. RF+LR). Ideally, a car intended to take both right and left turns should have no wedge, while jacking wedge into a circle track car is a common in-race tuning adjustment. FWIW, if your all-up LF+RR weight happens to be less than RF+LR, your car will tend to understeer more in left turns and less so in right turns.

Agree with ignatz regarding the likelihood of a bad spring and/or tweaked frame, so I'd definitely recommend digging into this further. In the mean time you might proceed with caution until determining whether and to what extent you may have altered your car's handling characteristics.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 02-08-2016 at 11:42 PM. Reason: slight correction

Get notified of new replies

To FWIW I solved my rear unequal ride height

Quick Reply: FWIW I solved my rear unequal ride height