C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn key - nothing, then something

Old 02-07-2016, 09:20 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

72 base engine 4 speed stock tilt wheel.

Fall 2014 - after driving the car for the summer with no problems, I turned the key and nothing happened. Turned it back and turned it on again and it started. Took it to a local shop and told them to check to see it was making contact. When I got the car back it was good but the switch didn't want to stay in the accessory position.

No problems 2015.

Fast forward to the present. Turned the key. Nothing. Turned the steering wheel so it locked. Turned key again. It started. Next day. Turned the key, nothing. Locked the steering wheel. Nothing, but I did hear a click or something from what I'm guessing was the starter. Jiggled the shifter. Turned key. It started.

So what do you think? Lock out cable? Ignition switch? Incorrect head mark on starter bolt made car mad?

Last edited by BarryB72; 02-07-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:30 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Another possible is the clutch safety switch on the pedal under the dash. Next time it happens keep the key in the start position and push the clutch pedal as far down as you can get it. If it starts, it's the switch. They wear after time requiring the pedal to be pushed farther down. Sometimes even a floormat is enough to prevent it from starting.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:03 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Good info CG. I see an nos switch on ebay with instructions that say "insure that vehicle can only be started with clutch fully depressed. Adjust switch mounting if needed".

So it sounds like I may have some adjustment there I can play with.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:11 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Got a chance to look under the dash. The alignment tab on the switch was actually not even in the alignment hole on whatever brace the switch is bolted to, so the lever going into the switch was essentially going in at an angle. Hopefully that was THE problem. If not, at least I fixed A problem.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:43 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

If you get stuck you can bypass the switch by jumping the two wire connector that the switch wires plug in to but it will then start without the pedal depressed. I replaced my switch and it is a bit of a hassle trying to get the single screw tightened in. One of those upside down under the dash on your back deals. There really isn't much adjustment on the switch. It either works or it doesn't. If the tab wasn't in and you got it back in place that was probably it. Good luck with it.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 02-17-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn key - nothing, then something

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn key - nothing, then something