C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing arm front bushing flex

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:18 PM
canadianvette2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailing arm front bushing flex

Hi, I have an issue with my passengers side trailing arm.
The trailing arm is brand new and I have installed new bearings and set the end play according to spec. Everything seems tight where the spindle is, but when I lift on the wheel the trailing arm assembly it looks like it's twisting or flexing at the front bushing. I checked the shims and tightened the bolt to eliminate any slack. Also added more shims just to make sure there was were no gaps.
Any ideas on what could be causing this as the drivers side does not do this.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

A GOOD PHOTO of the trailing arm bushing as it is right now installed in your car would be GREAT. The better quality of photo you post..the better I can see what you have...so PLEASE not out of focus photo(s).

IF your shims are tight....and they do not move.....and this is a NEW trailing arm (as you stated)...the trailing arm BUSHING ITSELF should NOT flex . BUT...what you are 'saying' can be also a bit deceiving.

Because...IF the trailing arm bushing IS NOT moving....BUT you can see that the arm can flex WHILE the bushing is still solid and NOT moving.....then that is why I would like to see your trailing arm bushing.

The trailing arm will move ...it HAS TO.....due to moving all three axis (X,Y and Z).

And I am ASSUMING that your trailing arm bushings are rubber.

DUB
Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Are you using rubber front bushings or poly? Were they installed by you or the trailing arm supplier? There will be a certain amount of flex in that joint due to the natural arc of the trailing arm travel.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:27 PM
canadianvette2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been restoring my 74 corvette for the last couple of years and have replaced a lot of items.
The frame was replaced, differential is rebuilt, differential cross brace is new. Shocks, leaf spring, struts, and a lot more.

I will take a picture tomorrow of the trailing arm.
The bushings are rubber.

I did another check today on everything that I thought might be a problem.

Differential is rebuilt so I checked to make sure there was no end play on the shafts and they are okay.

I also took the half shaft off and made sure the universal joints were okay even though they are all new.

Then I pulled the spindle out to check the bearings as I was the one that did the rebuild of the trailing arms.
I did find around .015" of end play, so tomorrow I will fix this and put everything back together and double check to see if this helps.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:09 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by canadianvette2
Hi, I have an issue with my passengers side trailing arm.
The trailing arm is brand new and I have installed new bearings and set the end play according to spec. Everything seems tight where the spindle is, but when I lift on the wheel the trailing arm assembly it looks like it's twisting or flexing at the front bushing. I checked the shims and tightened the bolt to eliminate any slack. Also added more shims just to make sure there was were no gaps.
Any ideas on what could be causing this as the drivers side does not do this.

Thanks
If you simply have the new trailing arm hanging from the front bushing/pivot point, you can grab the arm and flex it in big circles with no problem, even with all the shims in place and the bolt snugged down tight. You have so much leverage by grabbing the arm at the spindle that there is no rubber bushing that will feel tight with that moment arm. I have brand new arms hanging in my photos in my rear suspension drop thread, and I can twist them and move them in every direction. That's completely normal. Nothing will tighten up until you install the other 2 links of the suspension (half shafts and rod ends).

Lars
The following 2 users liked this post by lars:
Strokemyaxe (02-09-2016), UnperfectC3 (04-11-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing arm front bushing flex

Quick Reply: Trailing arm front bushing flex