C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations heater hoses on vintage air

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:06 PM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Recommendations heater hoses on vintage air

I am in the process of installing a vintage air system and realized that the heater hose fitting on thier core are both 5/8". Obviously an issue when the line coming off my water pump is 3/4"

Considering 2 courses of action but am open to anything.

1. Swap water pump fitting to a 5/8 fitting from summit and run new 5/8 lines through out.
2. install an adapter part way down line to drop my 3/4 line to a 5/8.

Have another questions as well:
Are the shut off valves part of the factory set up or where they added to the lines afterward? Do I need them with the vintage air set up?

Appreciate any input and have a great day
Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default My experience, ...

Originally Posted by CPTCroaker
I am in the process of installing a vintage air system and realized that the heater hose fitting on thier core are both 5/8". Obviously an issue when the line coming off my water pump is 3/4"

1. Swap water pump fitting to a 5/8 fitting from summit and run new 5/8 lines through out.

Are the shut off valves part of the factory set up or where they added to the lines afterward? Do I need them with the vintage air set up?

My experience on 68,

*discovered the same 5/8" instead of 3/4" on my 68 install.
I decided to install the 5/8x3/4 reducer as I had one on hand, local auto parts store stocks them
I did give VA some feedback on the hose mismatch, not the first person I think.

*I am planning on installing another VA soon on another 68 and will do the same thing since my aluminum expansion tank has 3/4 connections. I suppose if you do not have an expansion tank you could put in all 5/8" fittings on w/p and intake.

*VA supplies their own heater control valve which hooks into their controls. I did not install a manual shutoff valve in the heater hose like I would without VA. So, I relied on the VA shutoff valve which seemed to work ok.

Hope this helps and VA make a great product I think. VA is also very helpful with tech questions if you call.

Good luck with the install.

Last edited by 20mercury; 02-09-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:06 AM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Appreciate this input. I am planning on installing a 5/8 fitting at the pump and am happy to hear that their shutoff is good.

I also spoke with VA and vented that this is not mentioned in the instructions and/or parts are not included to fix the issue. Its easy enough to fix on my end, but it should be covered in a kit that is sold as a direct fit for a specific car.

Other than this the install has been fairly seamless

Last edited by CPTCroaker; 02-10-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:52 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree!

Appreciate this input. I am planning on installing a 5/8 fitting at the pump and am happy to hear that their shutoff is good.

I also spoke with VA and vented that this is not mentioned in the instructions and/or parts are not included to fix the issue. Its easy enough to fix on my end, but it should be covered in a kit that is sold as a direct fit for a specific car.

Other than this the install has been fairly seamless
IMHO, if I was in sales, I would throw in a $1 5/8 hose fitting and a 50cent 5/8x3/4 plastic transition fitting to keep my customers happy. I would also throw in a extra foot of the flex ducting as I found it difficult even after reading the special instructions on line to have enough ducting. But, hey, just me, ........

Good luck with the install, the cold air is worth it!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:53 AM
CMTECH
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NAPA part# 10084 OR Gates # 18084 : 5/8" hose with 3/4" end for water pump connection...
The following users liked this post:
umrjmac (05-31-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations heater hoses on vintage air

Quick Reply: Recommendations heater hoses on vintage air